Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Y’all talk about booking replacements acts like it’s a walk in the park. 

And you talk that the biggest festival in the world can't find a couple of replacement acts, or move a couple acts up at short notice will suddenly stop the whole thing. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

And you talk about booking replacements like you’ve organised the Met Gala. Do any of us know anything concrete about what it’s like organising and booking acts for Glastonbury? No. (I don’t think)

I’m waiting to see how big a jump in cases Cheltenham causes. As well as government advice in the next couple of weeks.. until then, snipes will continue and the atmosphere will worsen 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I not sure as this could be a bit of a PR disaster. Under UK consumer law the promoter has to offer a refund if the event is cancelled, but this is only for the face value of the ticket. Additional monies such as booking fees etc are exempt from refund. Then there are other ancillaries that people will book. I would be most annoyed if I shelled out for a full ticket in early April and made other purchases only for the event to be cancelled 3 weeks later and I lose money to boot!

I fail to see the issue or the PR disaster? Would you rather then cancel it and not do the resale just incase they have to cancel... or would you rather they try to make it go ahead and you may lose a small booking fee if they do have to cancel?? 

12 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

It's worth noting that the UK seems to be following a different path to international experts on this. Whether it's correct or not, will be seen, but it's important to consider that this position isn't the scientific consensus.

This is it - they've found someone willing to say banning mass gatherings won't work, whereas almost every other country is doing just that. I don't think the odds are high that we've got it right and they've all got it wrong especially in the evidence of China's methods working 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

except everything suggests that not correct (although of course there will be some who are undetected).

Firstly there has been an amount of testing in the uk of people who've not presented themselves for testing.

And secondly, if there were thousands of undiagnosed cases then those cases would be infecting others and the growth rate in detected cases would be much higher .... unless there's undetectable cases spreading an undetectable and symptom-free version - tho if there was, there wouldn't be a worry from it because it's symptom-free. :P 

I think the only call back to that is that they're not testing people who have been been within a 'contaminated area' or near to someone who has it. 

28 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s been quoted about a million times on here and all over the news

The latest quote yesterday was along the lines of any decision to cancel sporting events and large outdoor gatherings would be against scientific advice 

I was asking for the citation as it doesn't sound right - it sounds like political spin. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2020/02/28/coronavirus-could-cost-british-sport-hundreds-millions-high/
"Prof Whitty, the country's top doctor, recognised on Thursday that sporting events were potentially disastrous breeding ground for the virus."

This was from 28th Feb - what has changed?

2 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Luck? Bit facile.

Italian viroligists think it has been in the country since November (based on DNA tests of atypical pneumonia cases from then), so it has had a lot longer running undetected. As of figures from March 8th Italy had tested about 2 x as many people as the UK by that date so I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers?

I’ll concede the point in tests, at one pint we had tested more.

But the rate our mortality rate and new case rate is going up is fairly flat, certainly a much flatter trajectory than it has ever been in Italy.

If the virus has been around a lot longer in Italy than it has here then that would certainly explain it, but equally that means we’ve caught it earlier and will be able to contain it better.

1 minute ago, Havors said:

I fail to see the issue or the PR disaster? Would you rather then cancel it and not do the resale just incase they have to cancel... or would you rather they try to make it go ahead and you may lose a small booking fee if they do have to cancel?? 

That post is 100% 'but what about me'. Its more in line with 'yeah but look at all this booze I've brought and now you're telling me there's not gonna be a festival?'

If Glastonbury has to cancel via Government order of 'no events of x amount' on the Monday 22nd of June. It has to cancel. 

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If the issue is bands won't travel but will play shows in their own countries then it shouldn't be too difficult for Glastonbury to get replacements - cos for every overseas act that pulls out there'll be a UK act who is no longer travelling overseas.

And I don't think there'd be massive work for Glasto with this, as it could mostly be handled by booking agents in a "I can't give you Band A but you can have Band B instead" way.

If bands won't play shows at all then things will of course be difficult.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

except everything suggests that not correct (although of course there will be some who are undetected).

Firstly there has been an amount of testing in the uk of people who've not presented themselves for testing.

And secondly, if there were thousands of undiagnosed cases then those cases would be infecting others and the growth rate in detected cases would be much higher .... unless there's undetectable cases spreading an undetectable and symptom-free version - tho if there was, there wouldn't be a worry from it because it's symptom-free. :P 

They are also not testing people who have symptoms from anecdotal statements.... like people turning up at doctors saying I have x symptoms and they say unless you have been to italy piss off we arent testing you youre fine...? :D 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

This is it - they've found someone willing to say banning mass gatherings won't work, whereas almost every other country is doing just that. I don't think the odds are high that we've got it right and they've all got it wrong especially in the evidence of China's methods working 

But all the data in terms of how quickly our case numbers are going up compared to other countries who have banned certain events suggests our experts are correct.

They haven’t just ‘found somebody’ we’re talking about the chief medical officer, they didn’t just parachute him into the role for this outbreak.

They are also not testing people who have symptoms from anecdotal statements.... like people turning up at doctors saying I have x symptoms and they say unless you have been to italy piss off we arent testing you youre fine...? :D 

Can confirm this is also what 111 are saying to an extent. They're not listening to anyone who has not been in known contact with someone who has it in the past 7 days or in an area that has mass infection. 

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

That post is 100% 'but what about me'. Its more in line with 'yeah but look at all this booze I've brought and now you're telling me there's not gonna be a festival?'

If Glastonbury has to cancel via Government order of 'no events of x amount' on the Monday 22nd of June. It has to cancel. 

I fail to see your point? I am saying "what about me???" I am saying Glasto will go ahead until they are told to cancel by the government... not because the person I was replying to would be a bit pissed off about a booking fee and an imagined PR disaster. 

Just now, Havors said:

I fail to see your point? I am saying "what about me???" I am saying Glasto will go ahead until they are told to cancel by the government... not because the person I was replying to would be a bit pissed off about a booking fee and an imagined PR disaster. 

I was saying it to the person you quoted in the terms of 'why would it be a PR disaster' it wouldn't, sorry wasn't calling you out was in relation to.
'I would be most annoyed if I shelled out for a full ticket in early April and made other purchases only for the event to be cancelled'

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But all the data in terms of how quickly our case numbers are going up compared to other countries who have banned certain events suggests our experts are correct.

They haven’t just ‘found somebody’ we’re talking about the chief medical officer, they didn’t just parachute him into the role for this outbreak.

I agree that I don't think this is a stooge, but I just wanted to make the comment that this isn't climate change with 98% of scientists supporting it. It may well be that the UK is correct, but I also think you can't do a simple comparison and conclude that our methods are more effective at this stage.

Exactly the same situation I am in. I have the mild versions of the symptoms but it’s far more likely to not be corona and as I haven’t been to a country that has it I won’t be considered for testing but it doesn’t mean I haven’t been in contact with a carrier. 

As it is I don’t feel ill enough to need medical treatment for my symptoms so I’m not trying to get treatment or be tested for it just so I’m not clogging up the system although I would like to know if it is or not purely for curiosity reasons.  

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

because it's a low likelihood that they'll have it.

From what I'm aware, every time there's a 'case' that appears, they ask the individual of who they've come into contact with, where they work etc and then test those people and so on. The only issue I can see being a major issue with that is public transport but this is also why the government are saying 'if you have x and y then self isolate for 2 weeks'. 

42 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

We’d loose two of our headliners, our legend slot, most of the pyramid lineup, probably a few major slots on the other stage. Is Paul based in America? If so we’d lose him too.

I know you probably think that’s a great thing as you think it would give some british bands larger slots, but think about it rationally. If you were the Eavis family on how on earth would you go about fixing that issue with what... 2 months till the festival?

Doesn't Taylor live in London?

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I was saying it to the person you quoted in the terms of 'why would it be a PR disaster' it wouldn't, sorry wasn't calling you out was in relation to.
'I would be most annoyed if I shelled out for a full ticket in early April and made other purchases only for the event to be cancelled'

Oh right now you make sense hahaha 

38 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

i'm a doomsayer, but this is my position at the moment:

- Acceptance that there is some doubt over glastonbury, whether it's 90/10 to go ahead or 50/50 or whatever is impossible to tell.

- There's still plenty of comparable events to glastonbury in Europe and UK before, it probably just makes sense to see how they react before getting too down. 

I'm probably very much in the minority, but actually I'd personally just like to know sooner or later. The closer it gets, the harder it'll be if it does get called off 😔

That last point is my feeling too. Some of us (I know we're a minority) fly from abroad for the festival and I'd prefer to know sooner rather than later if flights etc. need cancelling/amending. 

6 minutes ago, dmedxb said:

That last point is my feeling too. Some of us (I know we're a minority) fly from abroad for the festival and I'd prefer to know sooner rather than later if flights etc. need cancelling/amending. 

not a situation I would like to be in, but lets all stay positive , as it stands now Glastonbury is happening

Edited by DeadAmos