Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

56 minutes ago, Havors said:

Anyone else get the impression America is completely losing the plot and cancelling everything very prematurely?? 

These kinds of cancellations occurring all over the place, not just the US.

2 minutes ago, lacney said:

Getting married on Saturday, and due to fly to Bali for my honeymoon on Tuesday. This is certainly putting a damper on things. Can't decide on taking the financial cut or not. 

I’m supposed to be flying out to Prague in a few weeks but the Czech government is cracking down to keep their cases low so there’s a chance my trip will be cancelled. 

No point worrying about it until if it happens. Negativity breeds negativity and there’s enough of it around at the moment. 

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Not really, no.  E3 sounds like a hotbed for transmission.

Exactly. British people don’t realise how privileged they are.

- No healthcare system unless you work for a company that will provide it to you.

- $3000 dollars to be tested.

- The guarantee of putting yourself into debt if you get very sick from it. 

It’s really not surprising that Americans will take very restrictive measures to protect themselves from this. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@chazwwe when did I say it was a fact? I said that this is a real possibility? Stop equating harmless festival rumours to something that could actually happen. I know it sucks that there is a chance Glastonbury could be cancelled but if you can’t face the discussion that it might, maybe refrain from going into a topic discussing whether Glastonbury will be cancelled.

What I don’t understand is why people can’t handle discussion about Glastonbury being cancelled in a topic about Glastonbury being cancelled. I thought this was a space for people to discuss real possibilities?

All i'm saying is, it went from 'Glastonbury themselves could cancel it' to 'The Government could cancel it' to 'Well American acts might not be allowed to fly over here at the end of June and because of that they'll cancel the festival'

Its jumping from 1 doom and gloom to the next with no possibility of hope. Yes lets talk about IF < it gets cancelled but the IF statement also means that it could not, as the poll suggests. So how about just one post from yourself of some possibility of why it will go ahead? Instead of shutting down everyone who says 'well lets just put Coldplay on as headliner' 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

People keep ignoring this. Will the country shut down for 2 weeks? Maybe, but it'll be sooner rather than later. There will be little to no point in shutting the country down at the end of June when health ministers are predicting it'll be at its worst in April/May. 

No other UK events have been shut down yet, or made any announcement that they might be, they've all said 'we're working on it with health professionals' etc. 

I stand by what I've been saying since my first post in the other thread, IF Glastonbury were to be cancelled in June of all things. We have much bigger things to worry about than discussing it as there's a very real possibility we'll be in an Italy like scenario.

So how about we take each bit of news and update as they come, as facts and try and not predict that the world is going to shut down, because thats honestly the worst possible outcome and its bigger than a festival in June. 

It's worth noting that the UK seems to be following a different path to international experts on this. Whether it's correct or not, will be seen, but it's important to consider that this position isn't the scientific consensus.

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m supposed to be flying out to Prague in a few weeks but the Czech government is cracking down to keep their cases low so there’s a chance my trip will be cancelled. 

No point worrying about it until if it happens. Negativity breeds negativity and there’s enough of it around at the moment. 

I’m going to Prague next week on a stag. I think as it stands they’ve banned gatherings of more than 100 people, but we checked and that wasn’t affecting things like night clubs etc. As it stands we’re still going.

19 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah I personally think they will have the resale, then make a decision end of April possibly. If it is still all up in the air I think they will cancel so as not to waste a load of time and money setting up only to be forced to cancel it not long after. 

I not sure as this could be a bit of a PR disaster. Under UK consumer law the promoter has to offer a refund if the event is cancelled, but this is only for the face value of the ticket. Additional monies such as booking fees etc are exempt from refund. Then there are other ancillaries that people will book. I would be most annoyed if I shelled out for a full ticket in early April and made other purchases only for the event to be cancelled 3 weeks later and I lose money to boot!

2 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

It's worth noting that the UK seems to be following a different path to international experts on this. Whether it's correct or not, will be seen, but it's important to consider that this position isn't the scientific consensus.

Apart from the fact it is the scientific consensus of our own experts 

4 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

All i'm saying is, it went from 'Glastonbury themselves could cancel it' to 'The Government could cancel it' to 'Well American acts might not be allowed to fly over here at the end of June and because of that they'll cancel the festival'

Its jumping from 1 doom and gloom to the next with no possibility of hope. Yes lets talk about IF < it gets cancelled but the IF statement also means that it could not, as the poll suggests. So how about just one post from yourself of some possibility of why it will go ahead? Instead of shutting down everyone who says 'well lets just put Coldplay on as headliner' 

Because we’re all in this together and it’s not one single thing which will decide whether the festival is on or off. It’s an absolute shite situation and something that unfortunately we’ve been lumped with. We’re getting sick of it already and we’re still in early stages. Funnily enough I didn’t shut anyone down for suggesting Coldplay as a headliner, I pointed out the logistical difficulties of losing most major bookings.

As I said above, if it was one headliner that is fixable. Losing potentially all three headliners, the legend slot and one sub (that we know of) is some pretty large casualties. 

The reality of this is difficult but it needs to be discussed and prepared for.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m going to Prague next week on a stag. I think as it stands they’ve banned gatherings of more than 100 people, but we checked and that wasn’t affecting things like night clubs etc. As it stands we’re still going.

I’m going in April so will see what the situation is then. We have contingency plans ready in case it doesn’t happen but we’re hopeful that it will go ahead

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What I don’t understand is why people can’t handle discussion about Glastonbury being cancelled in a topic about Glastonbury being cancelled. I thought this was a space for people to discuss real possibilities?

I think people are objecting to the blanket statement of fact when what you are doing is guessing.

Yesterday you were convinced there'd be a huge spike in numbers and it'd be cancelled today it's US cancellations that make it 100% off. You always deal in absolutes.

If you want a conversation about acts cancelling and what the effect would be that's fine. My view is if they started to see a lot of cancellations now there would be enough time to find replacements. If it's closer to the festival then that'd be harder to do, but if it's very close to the festival then they'd have already spent loads of cash and would make do. So basically there'd be a window where they'd be most likely to cancel.

12 minutes ago, lacney said:

Getting married on Saturday, and due to fly to Bali for my honeymoon on Tuesday. This is certainly putting a damper on things. Can't decide on taking the financial cut or not. 

couple of mates off to bali today for 3 weeks they didn't seem too worried

21 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Are we not in the containment stage, and does that or doesn’t that involve us tracking down everyone who has come into contact with someone who has tested positive and putting them into isolation?

I thought we’d tested more people than Italy yet we have far less cases? Our case numbers are also going up relatively slowly in comparison, are rare if increase of cases in a daily bases is much less than the worst hit places.

What is your explanation for all of this, luck?

Not true I'm afraid.

UK have tested 26,000 people as of yesterday's figures.

Italy have tested 60,000 as of yesterday's figures.

Isn’t Taylor London based? So, worst case we lose McCartney (assuming he’d not do it based on age) and an unannounced Kendrick.

D Ross is an odd one, because I’m sure her O2 dates would be cancelled before Glastonbury if she bails. Lana Del Ray; fairly replaceable IMO

1 minute ago, Garrett_Salas said:

I genuinely believe that the UK will put in place much bigger actions over the next 5-7 days, similar to other countries. I think schools will probably stay shut for 2 weeks following the Easter Holidays along with other public buildings (galleries, cinemas, etc).

I know everyone likes to rat on governments around the world in saying 'they don't know what they're doing we do here on this internet forum' and 'X government can't handle it' but I don't think our country or government were prepared for 'okay virus is in teh country, shut down the whole place'. You've gotta put in plans before you do that. Which hopefully they have. 

23 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Are we not in the containment stage, and does that or doesn’t that involve us tracking down everyone who has come into contact with someone who has tested positive and putting them into isolation?

I thought we’d tested more people than Italy yet we have far less cases? Our case numbers are also going up relatively slowly in comparison, are rare if increase of cases in a daily bases is much less than the worst hit places.

What is your explanation for all of this, luck?

Luck? Bit facile.

Italian viroligists think it has been in the country since November (based on DNA tests of atypical pneumonia cases from then), so it has had a lot longer running undetected. As of figures from March 8th Italy had tested about 2 x as many people as the UK by that date so I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers?

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

There will be thousands of undiagnosed cases, that’s a given.

except everything suggests that not correct (although of course there will be some who are undetected).

Firstly there has been an amount of testing in the uk of people who've not presented themselves for testing.

And secondly, if there were thousands of undiagnosed cases then those cases would be infecting others and the growth rate in detected cases would be much higher .... unless there's undetectable cases spreading an undetectable and symptom-free version - tho if there was, there wouldn't be a worry from it because it's symptom-free. :P