Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Glastonbury can go ahead if American acts don't play.

We’d loose two of our headliners, our legend slot, most of the pyramid lineup, probably a few major slots on the other stage. Is Paul based in America? If so we’d lose him too.

I know you probably think that’s a great thing as you think it would give some british bands larger slots, but think about it rationally. If you were the Eavis family on how on earth would you go about fixing that issue with what... 2 months till the festival?

Edited by Matt42

Was at Cheltenham yesterday - plenty people there, all in close proximity. Washing hands and using the sanitisers much more visible than usual. We will soon see what large gatherings do. In other news, my other half has a few symptoms, she was worried about tightness of chest yesterday with a sore throat and a couple of folk at her work have been diagnosed and sent home. When I dropped my youngest off today kids at school coughing all over the place. None of this may be the virus but it certainly makes you more aware ! 

My own personal take on it (and it isn't based on anything other than gut feel) is that it is probably already rife throughout and there are many many mild cases of it- given the incubation period we will see a sudden spike and this is when the NHS will be strained. The genie is well out the bottle

Just now, Matt42 said:

We’d loose two of our headliners, our legend slot, most of the pyramid lineup, probably a few major slots on the other stage.

I know you probably think that’s a great thing as you think it would give some british bands larger slots, but think about it rationally. If you were the Eavis family on how on earth would you go about fixing that issue with what... 2 months till the festival?

Suddenly TRNSMT has the best lineup of the summer.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

@Matt42 do you actually want the festival to go ahead? Seems like you’re almost wishing that it does get cancelled. 

The virus must be really getting to him. Nonsense posts. The chief uk medical officer still expects majority of cases in the uk to appear before the end of April or start of May so as things stand we might still be ok. Bands that cancel can be replaced. Not sure why Matt thinks thats such as issue. 

7 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Sorry I though I was clear but re-reading again I see I wasn't. Obviously, for example, nobody will say that China's initial approach (cover up) was 'best practice' - there is nobody that dumb. I was talking about measures taken once they started taking measures.

The only really useful measures the UK is taking are contact tracing via PHE, some cleaning of places where the infected have been (very limited compared to China or South Korea for instance - typically just a few health centres etc. in the UK)  and public information about washing hands etc. Proactive attempts to detect sufferers are woeful and overall we are making the same mistake as the US has made these last weeks and not testing enough people to identify those who should self-isolate. 

We may be around the middle of the pack for growth right now, and we'll see if that continues, but the trajectory seems obvious and there is no sign of the deceleration we see in China, South Korea or Singapore, nor the measures required to achieve that.

On Singapore, the UK is not using similar tactics *at all*. Hotels taking temperatures and reporting those running a fever? At airports? Complete travel ban on visitors from Italy, Iran and South Korea? The UK does something if someone phones up NHS 24 or their doctor. Often it is just to tell them to stay at home and not bother testing them unless they have recently travelled from an outbreak area despite community transmission occurring in the UK. It is a million miles away from Singapore.

Are we not in the containment stage, and does that or doesn’t that involve us tracking down everyone who has come into contact with someone who has tested positive and putting them into isolation?

I thought we’d tested more people than Italy yet we have far less cases? Our case numbers are also going up relatively slowly in comparison, are rare if increase of cases in a daily bases is much less than the worst hit places.

What is your explanation for all of this, luck?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Where is this 'it is largely ineffective' info from? And if it is largely ineffective why is it planned for the next phase?

It’s been quoted about a million times on here and all over the news

The latest quote yesterday was along the lines of any decision to cancel sporting events and large outdoor gatherings would be against scientific advice 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

@Matt42 do you actually want the festival to go ahead? Seems like you’re almost wishing that it does get cancelled. 

There are some people in the world that focus on the negative and worst scenarios as to not be disappointed when it does happen. Its the same people who are panic buying things (toilet roll not included) or to some of the people that have been stealing the soap dispensers of the wall at where I work. The conversation yesterday was about that the number of people in the UK is going to jump by hundreds and it only went up by 50. Suddenly people stopped talking about it and started talking about America and if American bands don't come over the festival will be cancelled. 

I like @Matt42 and he gets a lot of slack on here, but I don't even think Emily Eavis coming on to this forum herself and saying 'don't worry guys its going ahead' will calm him or others who are posting similar on here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

The virus must be really getting to him. Nonsense posts. The chief uk medical officer still expects majority of cases in the uk to appear before the end of April or start of May so as things stand we might still be ok. Bands that cancel can be replaced. Not sure why Matt thinks thats such as issue. 

How on earth has anything I’ve said about Glastonbury losing most of its headliners and it’s legend slot and in response cancelling nonsense? 

Just now, Matt42 said:

How on earth has anything I’ve said about Glastonbury losing most of its headliners and it’s legend slot and in response cancelling nonsense? 

Because you have NO proof that it'll be happening, you're predicting again, its the same as predicting Foo Fighters to open the Pyramid Stage. Nonsense. 

I am working in a international company basically hiring people. I have candidates coming from Italy to Spain even when the flights between this two countries have been cancelled. They will have to do quarantine but what I want to say is that they can come anyway flying via Berlin/London/Paris and then Barcelona. What quarantine is that?

And what's the point of cancelling flights between two countries if the EU/UK are not following the same procedures and at the end they would end up coming anyway?

Edited by AlexOvd

Just now, Matt42 said:

Why wouldn’t they just look for new bands to replace people who drop out? Even if they can’t replace the all the Americans it’s still better than no festival. You think foals or 1975 wouldn’t do it at short notice?

13 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Will they be covered by their insurance if they decide to cancel though?

Haha now we are into the technicalities of their insurance.... I would imagine if they are forced to cancel by the government they would be covered? But what if they take the decision themselves? Hmmmm haha 

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not a chance, he has been shouting for Taylor Swift to be there for years in fairness IIRC

i'm a doomsayer, but this is my position at the moment:

- Acceptance that there is some doubt over glastonbury, whether it's 90/10 to go ahead or 50/50 or whatever is impossible to tell.

- There's still plenty of comparable events to glastonbury in Europe and UK before, it probably just makes sense to see how they react before getting too down. 

I'm probably very much in the minority, but actually I'd personally just like to know sooner or later. The closer it gets, the harder it'll be if it does get called off 😔

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

To be honest artists pulling out will not be a reason for Glasto cancelling. They will just replace the acts. So.... 

Just now, Andy0808 v5 said:

Well, there was a camera crew down by the pyramid on the webcam about an hour ago, so we may know sooner rather than later. 😈

😮

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

Why wouldn’t they just look for new bands to replace people who drop out? Even if they can’t replace the all the Americans it’s still better than no festival. You think foals or 1975 wouldn’t do it at short notice?

And what if acts don’t want to commit to gigs because it’s still up in the air how prevalent the virus would be in June?

1 minute ago, Havors said:

To be honest artists pulling out will not be a reason for Glasto cancelling. They will just replace the acts. So.... 

I’d understand the logic if it was a few artists across the bill. But potentially losing all headliners + the legend slot is some pretty large casualties. They could lose every artist they’ve announced so far.

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Because you have NO proof that it'll be happening, you're predicting again, its the same as predicting Foo Fighters to open the Pyramid Stage. Nonsense. 

@chazwwe when did I say it was a fact? I said that this is a real possibility? Stop equating harmless festival rumours to something that could actually happen. I know it sucks that there is a chance Glastonbury could be cancelled but if you can’t face the discussion that it might, maybe refrain from going into a topic discussing whether Glastonbury will be cancelled.

What I don’t understand is why people can’t handle discussion about Glastonbury being cancelled in a topic about Glastonbury being cancelled. I thought this was a space for people to discuss real possibilities?

1 minute ago, DeadAmos said:

@Matt42 Go to McDonald’s and get yourself a HAPPY MEAL

stop that, Matt says irrational dopey things from time to time, and I'm sure he would agree with that, and who doesn't but there's no need for that mentality of just making singular comments to make him feel shite ffs

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

“Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science”

People keep ignoring this. Will the country shut down for 2 weeks? Maybe, but it'll be sooner rather than later. There will be little to no point in shutting the country down at the end of June when health ministers are predicting it'll be at its worst in April/May. 

No other UK events have been shut down yet, or made any announcement that they might be, they've all said 'we're working on it with health professionals' etc. 

I stand by what I've been saying since my first post in the other thread, IF Glastonbury were to be cancelled in June of all things. We have much bigger things to worry about than discussing it as there's a very real possibility we'll be in an Italy like scenario.

So how about we take each bit of news and update as they come, as facts and try and not predict that the world is going to shut down, because thats honestly the worst possible outcome and its bigger than a festival in June. 

• Upvote 1