Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

8 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Indeed! It's always bothered me, the lack of festivals outside the summer. It's like... you have a few months having great fun, then suddenly there's fuck all to do. Plus it feels like you're waiting forever for the festival season to come round again. At least a  October fest makes it all more digestible tbh!

Anyway, when's the best time to get cheap flights to California?

Now  and when major airlines open booking for the fall which has yet to happen.  And hate to break it to you, but it doesnt really cool off in October as much as you think. The first Coachella was in October and it was 40 each day. The likelihood of the weather being better is there, but dont bet on it.

And theres plenty of festivals that go into November because of the weather In LA but its nothing that would guage your interests per say like a Coachella. Voodoo is at the end of October in New Orleans and is the last notable  fest to take place for festival season pretty much. Before that Austin City Limits which is in Sept and Oct cause its 2 weekends.

Edited by Suprefan

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Because the Arsenal players came into contact with someone who has been diagnosed with the virus.

Glastonbury build goes right down to the wire if a few of the build teams get taken out of action for two weeks it could have a big impact. Hopefully we are past the worst of it by then though

2 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Glastonbury build goes right down to the wire if a few of the build teams get taken out of action for two weeks it could have a big impact. Hopefully we are past the worst of it by then though

The Glastonbury build teams will be fuelled by cider and have a strong immune system after decades of working in mud. Do you really think a little sniffle will stop them?

The fun fact about all of this is seeing people criticizing the ones who are running away from their homes because of war and at the same time takings kg of food in supermarkets for a virus. What a time to be alive. 

Edited by AlexOvd
  • Upvote 1

I'd bet my house on this year's festival being cancelled. Anything else is wishful thinking.

The epidemiology indicates we are 13–14 days behind Italy. The government and its medical advisers are saying much the same thing. That indicates UK lockdown from around March 25. By tomorrow, Hunan province will have been in lockdown for eight weeks and conservative estimates suggest the lockdown will not be lifted for at least a further two weeks. So, if we follow the same pattern as China – admittedly unlikely in a democracy, but they're citing the China model currently in Italy – then we're looking at a ten-week lockdown, starting sometime around March 24 and ending around June 2.

But that's a best-case scenario. It doesn't take account of the fact that the UK has the lowest number of ICU beds per 10,000 population in Europe. It doesn't take account of the fact that the UK has been testing at a far lower rate (until this morning's announcement, there was capacity only for 1,500 tests per day) than most other European countries. So we don't have a reliable handle on the extent of infection with the population as a whole (although the mortality rate indicates that current estimates might not be that inaccurate). And when the surge arrives in about a fortnight's time, we won't have enough beds and ventilators to meet more than a small fraction of demand.

Against that backdrop, it's highly unlikely that any festival organiser is likely to start preparing their site for a festival in the midst of a lockdown, let alone hold the festival shortly after the lockdown might be lifted (provided we get to grips with the outbreak as efficiently as China).

Sorry guys. It's not happening.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah we were about to apply for a loan for the wedding too. Will these new rates come into play immediately?

Just because the bank rate goes down it doesn’t necessarily pass straight on to mortgage rates. It’s designed to support businesses who might need short term arrangements to cover impact of virus. 

6 hours ago, Spindles said:

That was fucking beautiful Yog, thanks mate, just the ticket tonight for me.

It's a powerful rendition alright. 

As an aside, I once won tickets to a small festival, and the Proclaimers were the headline act. So, me and my wife got there and parked up our campervan and sorted ourselves out. A little later another campervan parked next to us, and then another one next to it. Well, that group was only one of the Proclaimer lads and his family, and friends (presumably). There were quite a few children in their group, and they went off to play in the field while the adults set up camp. It was only a short while later that one of the kids came back balling his eyes out in tears. We found out that he'd run straight in to a whole load of nettles. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we were able to go over to the group and give them not only anti-histamine tablets,, but also some anti-histamine cream. I'm not joking, in less than five minutes that kid was running around and playing with all the other kids, as if nothing had happened. 

Sometimes it pays to have drugs in your campervan!

3 minutes ago, sedra said:

Just because the bank rate goes down it doesn’t necessarily pass straight on to mortgage rates. It’s designed to support businesses who might need short term arrangements to cover impact of virus. 

It will pass to people on variable mortgages though. GOOD FOR THEM I’M REALLY PLEASED FOR THEM ON MY FIXED 

Edited by whitehorses

3 minutes ago, robu said:

I'd bet my house on this year's festival being cancelled. Anything else is wishful thinking.

The epidemiology indicates we are 13–14 days behind Italy. The government and its medical advisers are saying much the same thing. That indicates UK lockdown from around March 25. By tomorrow, Hunan province will have been in lockdown for eight weeks and conservative estimates suggest the lockdown will not be lifted for at least a further two weeks. So, if we follow the same pattern as China – admittedly unlikely in a democracy, but they're citing the China model currently in Italy – then we're looking at a ten-week lockdown, starting sometime around March 24 and ending around June 2.

But that's a best-case scenario. It doesn't take account of the fact that the UK has the lowest number of ICU beds per 10,000 population in Europe. It doesn't take account of the fact that the UK has been testing at a far lower rate (until this morning's announcement, there was capacity only for 1,500 tests per day) than most other European countries. So we don't have a reliable handle on the extent of infection with the population as a whole (although the mortality rate indicates that current estimates might not be that inaccurate). And when the surge arrives in about a fortnight's time, we won't have enough beds and ventilators to meet more than a small fraction of demand.

Against that backdrop, it's highly unlikely that any festival organiser is likely to start preparing their site for a festival in the midst of a lockdown, let alone hold the festival shortly after the lockdown might be lifted (provided we get to grips with the outbreak as efficiently as China).

Sorry guys. It's not happening.

Anyone know if festival season in China has been going ahead?