Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 minutes ago, rossg said:

Say if it does get cancelled, will everyone with a ticket/ready to pay deposit get one for next year?

Nobody knows, it would be possible for them to provide some sort of presale for any registrations successful for 2020 to buy for 2021, personally I don’t think they will. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

Not looking brilliant is it? Glastonbury was my go to thing to do this year due to money. Still have hope though. At least if I book a flight somewhere last minute it will be cheap & have some room.

2 of my planned trips were Turin & Burma!

Edited by Bisque

44 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Always better to be in amongst it regardless of who it is; else what the hell is the point in being there?

Personal opinion is Chris Martin is a genuine and lovely man whose love affair with the festival came about because of a lovely and genuine thing he did for Michael Eavis. People mock cos that’s what we Brits do, but think/hope most of it’s good humored.

Agree with you on their music... solid with the odd classic. Don’t tend to listen to their music voluntarily but would love to see them at Glastonbury as have never seen them before, and they do look great live.

You know there's plenty of other stages to be in amongst it at, don't you? You don't have to watch a pyramid headliner if you don't like it.

5 hours ago, Keithy said:

Bands postponing/pulling march tour dates now. That could be a bigger threat to G .... bands not going.

I think it could work well. Promote British and smaller bands. Give them the exposure if the US (and other international) acts don’t fancy travelling. 

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You know there's plenty of other stages to be in amongst it at, don't you? You don't have to watch a pyramid headliner if you don't like it.

Yep, but my point was that I’d you’re at a band then be amongst it rather than on the peripheral criticizing regardless of stage. Didn’t realise this world be so controversial.

40 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Nobody knows, it would be possible for them to provide some sort of presale for any registrations successful for 2020 to buy for 2021, personally I don’t think they will. 

Not sure why there's so much doubt on this, it's standard practice if a gig is postponed, even if a new date isn't announced straight away, for tickets sold to remain valid for the rescheduled date. (with the option of a refund if wanted). It makes sense for the promoter to hold on to the money and to be sure of the numbers for the new dates. In the case of Glastonbury it would cause so much bad feeling amongst those who were able to secure a ticket to have it taken away that it wouldn't make sense to do it. The fairest way would be to offer a full refund or the option to keep your ticket for next year. (And I say this as someone who didn't get a ticket this time, first time ever).

6 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Yep, but my point was that I’d you’re at a band then be amongst it rather than on the peripheral criticizing regardless of stage. Didn’t realise this world be so controversial.

Oh right. Yeah would be weird to stand nearby and criticise when you could be doing something you enjoy! Never met anyone who did this, though.

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Sometimes I feel like I’d rather be in the midst enjoying their set than surrounded by people who can’t stop telling everyone how awful they are

Twas in response to this, although i may have misinterpreted it to be honest. To be fair I’ve had a couple of drinks and am currently in a reminiscence phase which essentially involves listening to sunshine on leith apparently!

27 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Twas in response to this, although i may have misinterpreted it to be honest. To be fair I’ve had a couple of drinks and am currently in a reminiscence phase which essentially involves listening to sunshine on leith apparently!

Just in case you haven't seen / heard this version - see below. I'm sure that you will have, but it's a just in case operation that's going on here;

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One of our MP’s is confirmed to have corona. Ironically she’s a minister of health and a former nurse. 

She’s been in close contact with a lot of the government recently including our Dear Leader. Expect a significant change in government policy shortly. 

4 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

An October festival sounds quite fun TBH. Bit of a pick me up heading into winter. 

4 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Indeed! It's always bothered me, the lack of festivals outside the summer. It's like... you have a few months having great fun, then suddenly there's fuck all to do. Plus it feels like you're waiting forever for the festival season to come round again. At least a  October fest makes it all more digestible tbh!

Anyway, when's the best time to get cheap flights to California?

Austin City Limits also goes on the same weekend. Will be interesting to see how things split as ACL usually has 0 competition. I bet they're shitting themselves right now hoping both weekends still sell out as i would think there is quite a bit of overlap in attendees. 

6 hours ago, gazzared said:

Hopefully this flu will keep away Taylor aswell 👍😂

Accidentally loved this quote. I didn't mean to. 

Edited by sime

Premier league football now affected, really doesn’t look good, think we are going to be so severely disrupted over the next two months that large events in May and June will struggle to run. 

read quite a harrowing report from a UK doctor explaining how our hospital intensive care runs at 80%-100% capacity normally so they can cope with numbers up to 50ish but once it gets to hundreds they can’t. Then like Italy they have to prioritise younger patients and effectively let the elderly ones die and the death rate rockets due to lack of resources. They also recommended anyone high risk should self isolate now for as long as possible.

• Upvote 1

Chatting to a colleague in China this morning and they were feeling much more positive. Only 20-30 new cases overnight and the vibe is that they're starting to get on top of it. I felt a bit better after that conversation - the rest of the world will have learned from how China has reacted and the onset of summer should start to help, too. 

The Man City v Arsenal game is postponed specifically because some of the Arsenal players may have had contact with the owner of Olympiakos who has now been diagnosed with covid-19. 

20 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Premier league football now affected, really doesn’t look good, think we are going to be so severely disrupted over the next two months that large events in May and June will struggle to run. 

read quite a harrowing report from a UK doctor explaining how our hospital intensive care runs at 80%-100% capacity normally so they can cope with numbers up to 50ish but once it gets to hundreds they can’t. Then like Italy they have to prioritise younger patients and effectively let the elderly ones die and the death rate rockets due to lack of resources. They also recommended anyone high risk should self isolate now for as long as possible.

But we knew this would happen eventually? For Glastonbury it's better this happens sooner than later. We're still over three months out - we could have postponements and cancellations for the next month or so and then things might start to look up. 

Again, this news doesn't change anything. We still need to hold tight for the next month and see where it's at around Easter.

What's happening in Europe now I doesn't change anything. This was expected and counties are starting to take actions. The crucial moment is see how is growing in the last month. Measures taking now will be visible a a few weeks. 

As it was already said, better now than later. In Europe no one is able to cope with this until June for their economies. 

Edited by AlexOvd

10 hours ago, kalifire said:

Any headliner who stepped in during such circumstances would have so much goodwill felt towards them, they could hardly fail. 

No doubt - just look at the respect the Gorillaz performance still receives on this forum to this very day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2