Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, CJTM said:

OK send the money back sure, but what would stop them offering 2020 deposit bookers a first shot at 2021? 

That'd be up to them.

But I can't see them doing that.

I think 2020 would be refunded and be just like another fallow year.  Tickets on general sale in October.  

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

That'd be up to them.

But I can't see them doing that.

I think 2020 would be refunded and be just like another fallow year.  Tickets on general sale in October.  

Those of us with tickets would not like this to be the case. Obviously this is the preferable option for those who don’t have tickets this year. 

Can’t please both sets of people. 

4 minutes ago, CJTM said:

OK send the money back sure, but what would stop them offering 2020 deposit bookers a first shot at 2021? 

Obviously that is what I want to happen, as I have a ticket. And I don't buy the argument that "the system isn't set up for that" because the unique thing about Glastonbury is the registration number system.

Who gets to attend next year in the event of a cancellation is not going to the organiser's first concern, and I would imagine won't even be discussed until the plug is firmly pulled. What decision they will make then I've got no idea.

I think for simplicity's sake, they probably would just have a fresh run at 2021. I honesty don't think the festival organisers could ever possibly understand the gold dust feeling of getting a ticket, because that is not something they will ever have had to experience. I hope that's not the case, but I do worry it will be.

12 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Obviously that is what I want to happen, as I have a ticket. And I don't buy the argument that "the system isn't set up for that" because the unique thing about Glastonbury is the registration number system.

Who gets to attend next year in the event of a cancellation is not going to the organiser's first concern, and I would imagine won't even be discussed until the plug is firmly pulled. What decision they will make then I've got no idea.

I think for simplicity's sake, they probably would just have a fresh run at 2021. I honesty don't think the festival organisers could ever possibly understand the gold dust feeling of getting a ticket, because that is not something they will ever have had to experience. I hope that's not the case, but I do worry it will be.

I really don't think Emily and below team have their heads in the sand that much, they see how much delight it brings people on ticket day, and of course during the festival. Pure adulation 

5 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Patrick's Day parade cancelled. Even though it's an outdoor event the pubs in Dublin are packed for it. 

I can understand this. There are only about 20 cases in Ireland they can potentially still keep a very tight lid on it. A lot of tourists would be coming in for the parade especially from America which is rife with the virus. 

Last week I voted 'of course it'll still happen' , in a week I either feel more educated or brainwashed and I'm not of the opinion that its50/50 - resigned and disappointed to the fact it may not go ahead. I do think it its cancelled then it'll be a cancellation - money back and its a level playing field again next year and tickets won't be carried over, it'll be classed as a cancellation not a postponement

I also think as the summer gets closer , if this keeps spreading at an alarming rate then there will be people pressure to stop it happening as well - and it may be seen as irresponsible ….. itf happens I'll be there, with bells on …. or a  scenario I've run through in my mind,  I'll be there for the  2 weeks before painting those bins, using my holiday  and all the site is built and then it'll get cancelled … the question is how early will they pull the plug if its going to be pulled  !

Boris was on Good Morning and basically said that maybe we should just take it on our chin, let this run its course and not impose any draconian measures.

On the one hand that massively reduces the chances of the Govt. deciding to prohibit large gatherings.

On the other hand, it does feel a bit like a big "screw you" to anybody  who would be at risk to the virus, as well as completely ignorant to the effect that it will have on the NHS and public services.  I'm not sure being so cavalier with a large portion of your voter base is a good idea but I guess that's why I'm not a politician.... Or a sociopath

1 hour ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Forget refunds or not, I think they could very easily give any successful registration number for this year the automatic option to buy for 2021 if they wanted to. I think there is even a slight precedent for it, I believe some people caught up in the campervan chaos in the last mud year got the option to buy tickets for the following festival outside of the normal sale.

Will they do that though? As a ticket holder for this year I sincerely hope so, but in reality sadly I think they won’t. Glastonbury are all about making it as easy as possible for people to get tickets, encourage first timers and just generally to keep the festival as popular and oversubscribed as possible. If you work on the basis the festival is heavily oversubscribed, loads more people will have missed out for this year than were successful. All those people will have an extra hard time getting tickets for 2021 if let’s say 80% are already taken up. So that’s three years you’re potentially preventing a huge number of people going which I don’t think the festival will want.

I just think it will be easier for them to just start from scratch again for the next festival however shit it would be for those of us with a ticket.

The annoying thing is if Glastonbury is cancelled but I knew I was guaranteed a ticket for 2021, then that would massively soften the blow. If it’s cancelled and I’m not guaranteed a ticket that will make the whole thing considerably worse.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

21 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Boris was on Good Morning and basically said that maybe we should just take it on our chin, let this run its course and not impose any draconian measures.

On the one hand that massively reduces the chances of the Govt. deciding to prohibit large gatherings.

On the other hand, it does feel a bit like a big "screw you" to anybody  who would be at risk to the virus, as well as completely ignorant to the effect that it will have on the NHS and public services.  I'm not sure being so cavalier with a large portion of your voter base is a good idea but I guess that's why I'm not a politician.... Or a sociopath

Well, any natural causes that will get rid of the long term sick and disabled would seem to be in line with normal Tory policy so... 

1 hour ago, CJTM said:

I really don't think Emily and below team have their heads in the sand that much, they see how much delight it brings people on ticket day, and of course during the festival. Pure adulation 

Well I hope that's the case. I just think that they are just happy when it sells out super quickly, and they see everyone on the internet being thrilled to have a ticket. I've just never thought they really understand how many people are trying and failing year on year on year on year and then finally get a ticket and how much it means to them. I hope I'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The annoying thing is if Glastonbury is cancelled but I knew I was guaranteed a ticket for 2021, then that would massively soften the blow. If it’s cancelled and I’m not guaranteed a ticket that will make the whole thing considerably worse.

Absolutely. It's just completely unprecedented. It's one thing for people to be unsuccessful getting tickets (I have been, too many times) when it's business as usual, and the despair that entails (in my case).

But to have the golden ticket, and then to have no festival and no promise of ever attending the festival again (which is quite realistic considering the odds and demand) is a whole other level... dread.

Sorry! I'm being voice of doom today.

1 minute ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Well I hope that's the case. I just think that they are just happy when it sells out super quickly, and they see everyone on the internet being thrilled to have a ticket. I've just never thought they really understand how many people are trying and failing year on year on year on year and then finally get a ticket and how much it means to them. I hope I'm wrong.

Absolutely. It's just completely unprecedented. It's one thing for people to be unsuccessful getting tickets (I have been, too many times) when it's business as usual, and the despair that entails (in my case).

But to have the golden ticket, and then to have no festival and no promise of ever attending the festival again (which is quite realistic considering the odds and demand) is a whole other level... dread.

Sorry! I'm being voice of doom today.

No I’m with you, it goes without saying that I’d be gutted if they cancel it, but I’d go as far as to say if they cancelled it with the guarantee for 2021 I’d pretty much be able to shrug my shoulders and look forward to next year. Essentially it would just be a longer wait, and that’s it.

I don’t want to think about a situation where it’s cancelled, no guarantee for 2021... and then what failing would feel like in October. It’s terrible enough anyway, but under those conditions it would be 10x worse... it doesn’t bare thinking about.

Hopefully the organisers can appreciate that, but I just don’t think they will.

42 minutes ago, Mackem said:

I meant the source saying that sxsw could have had pandemic coverage but saved money.

I work in an area that’s in a similar lane to music events, and my understanding was pandemics were simply not an insurance option one could get. This is in the USA, i think different countries may have very different rules and regulations that can affect stuff like this. 

Switching topics, this is going to very much become a political issue, and already has. The left will pressure cancellations in the name of protecting the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions (and will cherry pick data to prove the efficacy of cancellations or overstate the fatality rates). The right wing will do the opposite, pressuring everything stay open while cherry picking their own data to prove large events are not relevant and fatality rates lower. 

The UK having a right wing government favors Glastonbury happening, but Glastonbury being a left wing spirited festival puts it in a bit of an upcoming socially pressured pickle, I bet. 

Though usually a (very) left wing person, I favor the right wing perspective on this. This virus is going to happen regardless, and the statistics for its severity seem very, very far from understood and stable. the random cancelling of events from social media or journalist pressure is not going to help anything. 

I’ve really liked the statements coming from the UK health minister so far. It’s sounded like he’s trying to explain a coherent plan (delay until summer). I hope he sticks to it. In the USA it’s already wildly political and our closures have been completely incoherent (aka: sxsw canceled while disneyword with much higher attendance stays open). 

As someone whose spent all year planning and obsessing about a Glastonbury trip (and convincing friends to take time off and go and buy plane tickets), this will be a bit of a nail biting next 3 weeks for me. So far, more so than me worrying about my friends and family who are elderly and have pre-existing conditions, because right now it’s impossible to figure out reality from the media hysteria and misinformation on infection rates, % that get badly sick and why - all the data so far keeps shifting and seems to be highly politicized. 

Obviously, I hope it keeps to me worrying about my trip and never becomes me worrying about my loved ones. Fingers crossed. Also fingers crossed that Glaso happens! 

I think if we make it to the April on sale we make it to the festival. Because we can’t keep everything shut down for longer than 2.5-3 months. We’ll have come to a point by June where we understand life has to start again. 

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Patrick's Day parade cancelled. Even though it's an outdoor event the pubs in Dublin are packed for it. 

and will continue to be so, unless the government insist that every pub in county is closed, which will not happen €

3 minutes ago, assorted said:

I work in an area that’s in a similar lane to music events, and my understanding was pandemics were simply not an insurance option one could get. This is in the USA, i think different countries may have very different rules and regulations that can affect stuff like this. 

I saw something the other day (I can't remember where now) that gave what it claimed was the (broad brush*) low-down on cancellation insurance for events for the UK - and it basically said that policies would pay out if the events were forced to cancel by the govt.

(* there were caveats).

As I posted previously, I’d be amazed if Glastonbury were not covered for it. Regardless of the norm in America, you can more or less insure anything, and a pandemic is exactly the type of thing you’d need cover for. Glastonbury have had a couple of close calls before, foot and mouth, although they didn’t have a licence anyway for that year it could have been an issue any other year. There was also the suggestion they might have had to consider cancelling during the swine flu outbreak: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2009/may/06/glastonbury-festival-swine-flu

Given that these things tend to be an issue every decade or so, and that there aren’t really that many things that could lead to the government pulling the plug on a festival in the first place, you’d assume they’d be covered.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I saw something the other day (I can't remember where now) that gave what it claimed was the (broad brush*) low-down on cancellation insurance for events for the UK - and it basically said that policies would pay out if the events were forced to cancel by the govt.

(* there were caveats).

Which to me sounds like good news for Glastonbury going ahead - the only way they recoup their losses is if the gov shuts it down.

But it doesn’t get them out of the upcoming PR headache of the Guardian constantly concern trolling them with “but is it responsible to hold the festival?” articles. And social media starting change.org petitions to cancel it, etc. Course, that’s also a bit tricky with the Guardian a festival sponsor.... haha. 

Again, also possible the social/political mood has changed in 3 months and we are all on board with “let’s get life back to normal again regardless” after exhaustion from the consequences of mass quarantines/closures

9 minutes ago, CJTM said:

and will continue to be so, unless the government insist that every pub in county is closed, which will not happen €

True. Can you remember what it was like for foot and mouth? I used to avoid town on paddies day cos it was always too packed. Haven't lived in Ireland for a few years now and limited in news other than what my pals at home post on Facebook. Irish news is not a priority over in the UK. 

7 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

True. Can you remember what it was like for foot and mouth? I used to avoid town on paddies day cos it was always too packed. Haven't lived in Ireland for a few years now and limited in news other than what my pals at home post on Facebook. Irish news is not a priority over in the UK. 

I was only 7/8 years old, it has certainly deflected the urgency in getting the Dail in order, anyone have the latest on Coachella?

11 minutes ago, CJTM said:

I was only 7/8 years old, it has certainly deflected the urgency in getting the Dail in order, anyone have the latest on Coachella?

Coachella is still touch and go.  The valley where it is held just had their first confirmed case, which has led to the cancelling of the BNP Parabas Open (which is a big tennis tournament used as a warmer before the majors start)

They have declared a public emergency, which seems excessive after one case, however they may be using that label to gain extra government funding/etc.

The Doc that's running the show there has said decisions will be made on a case by case basis when it comes to large events