Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

Maybe this is selfish or motivated by the fact I don't have Glastonbury tickets, but I'm mainly wary of the future of the events I either have booked or wish to book.

The 2 currently in the diary are Frank Turner in Aylesbury on the Saturday after next and The Killers in Manchester at the end of May. I'm aware FT is already doing his shows - he did Folkestone and Brighton this week, I think. Killers I'm increasingly not sure on - if PL goes behind closed doors, I'm unsure of the future of a 50-60k stadium gig with a band that has to fly over from the USA. Going for a day trip round Manchester might still be fun, but it'd still be a big disappointment.

There's a few events in the next few months I was looking at that I'm also doubtful for beyond Glastonbury. Certainly, I can see April/May being a bit empty.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Maybe this is selfish or motivated by the fact I don't have Glastonbury tickets, but I'm mainly wary of the future of the events I either have booked or wish to book.

The 2 currently in the diary are Frank Turner in Aylesbury on the Saturday after next and The Killers in Manchester at the end of May. I'm aware FT is already doing his shows - he did Folkestone and Brighton this week, I think. Killers I'm increasingly not sure on - if PL goes behind closed doors, I'm unsure of the future of a 50-60k stadium gig with a band that has to fly over from the USA. Going for a day trip round Manchester might still be fun, but it'd still be a big disappointment.

There's a few events in the next few months I was looking at that I'm also doubtful for beyond Glastonbury. Certainly, I can see April/May being a bit empty.

Could the killers stadium gigs get cancelled

So a friend of mine was telling me about a conversation he had with his doctor about the coronavirus, and it was quite interesting.
As most people are aware, the virus is basically just a complete arsehole version of the common cold. It wouldn't kill a healthy person, and the people that it has the worst effect on are vulnerable people such as babies, the elderly and people with underlying health issues.
So, the doctor told him that the real issue in the UK is the strain that the virus will have on the NHS, rather than the fact that they don't know how to treat it. At this time of year, the NHS is strained as it is with cases of regular winter viruses. This is why they are going to try so hard to contain it. In the summer, they will become more lenient and let it out a bit, as they will be able to deal with it.

Not saying this is gospel, but just a story that I thought may be worth sharing. I think the festival will go ahead, and everything is a bit overblown

4 minutes ago, K2SO said:

So a friend of mine was telling me about a conversation he had with his doctor about the coronavirus, and it was quite interesting.
As most people are aware, the virus is basically just a complete arsehole version of the common cold. It wouldn't kill a healthy person, and the people that it has the worst effect on are vulnerable people such as babies, the elderly and people with underlying health issues.
So, the doctor told him that the real issue in the UK is the strain that the virus will have on the NHS, rather than the fact that they don't know how to treat it. At this time of year, the NHS is strained as it is with cases of regular winter viruses. This is why they are going to try so hard to contain it. In the summer, they will become more lenient and let it out a bit, as they will be able to deal with it.

Not saying this is gospel, but just a story that I thought may be worth sharing. I think the festival will go ahead, and everything is a bit overblown

I find this answer vague and unconvincing. 

34 minutes ago, K2SO said:

This is basically what they said on the news earlier. Try to push any spike in cases further towards summer when the NHS will be better equipment to cope.  They are hoping it won’t be as contagious in the summer. Unfortunately for the festival I think any decision to cancel will be taken I. The next 3 weeks, which means it may get cancelled but by summer it’s all blown over.

Edited by Smeble

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Who would actually cancel the festival? The organisers or government?

Government, I highly doubt the festival would due to how much money they would lose.

Plus the prospect of businesses going under due to not getting Glastonbury trade.

Edited by RarerThanDandyB

The festival would only cancel if so many acts and/or contractors pulled out that it was no longer viable to hold it.

Short of the above any decision to cancel it would come from the Government and the Government only. That said it’s difficult to see a scenario where the festival are forced to cancel before the government already have anyway.

Our Chief Scientific Officer today stated a likely peak in cases in 6 to 9 weeks, so we could be seeing a significant improvement by the end of April, a full two months prior to the festival. There’s no reason to assume it will be cancelled at this stage, but also we are unlikely to know it’s definitely on for several weeks yet. Keep the faith.

23 hours ago, jj200 said:

Could the killers stadium gigs get cancelled

Not a clue. Reckon start of May there'll be a call one way or the other, but if other events are pulled than that tour would logically be off as well.

I was looking at seeing Saint Motel in London in April, but I'm willing to presume their tour is unlikely to go ahead.

22 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

I love the fact the people think the NHS has winter pressure and it will be better in summer. It won’t it’s fucked all year round now. 

Yeah a few years ago there was talk of the NHS facing permanent winter rather than it supposedly easing over summer.

21 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I wast just about to pay the balance on my cv off. I have another 6 weeks till its due. May hold on for a couple of weeks.

I have already shelled out close to £2k for CV rental and Ferry 😭 

My main worry is not that the Gov't will call it off but that GFL will decide that it can't go ahead for logistical reasons, mainly manpower.

Glastonbury has one of the highest ratios of crew to ticket holders of any festival.

If a significant proportion of workers are ill/in quarantine it could case a no go. 

The license requires a certain number of stewards/security. The stages production crew who do very specific jobs and they may be very hard to replace at short notice.

The medical centre has masses of voluntary doctore and nurses etc who may well be tied up working on the CV outbreak.

I could give many more examples of core crew with particular skill sets but I'm sure that you get the idea.

Not wanting to be a doom monger, I do have serious doubts about this year's festival as do most people that I have talked to who are in various ways also involved.

For my crew/friends/family it had always been better than Christmas, the best event of the year and the best party on the planet.

Fingers and everything else available crossed that it will go ahead.

(Sorry if I'm just repeating previous post/s but I haven't read every page of every c virus thread)

11 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Source on this?

Inforoo which usually has sources direct from Coachella. It’s like the American efestivals.

https://inforoo.com/thread/36861/coachella-2020?page=297

My concern is that if lots of early summer events start cancelling, many artists might can their tours. I’m not saying because a festival in April is postponed it definitely means Glastonbury is, but it definitely fuels the fire for artists to change their touring plans. This will impact Glastonbury.

Edited by Matt42

6 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

My main worry is not that the Gov't will call it off but that GFL will decide that it can't go ahead for logistical reasons, mainly manpower.

Glastonbury has one of the highest ratios of crew to ticket holders of any festival.

If a significant proportion of workers are ill/in quarantine it could case a no go. 

The license requires a certain number of stewards/security. The stages production crew who do very specific jobs and they may be very hard to replace at short notice.

The medical centre has masses of voluntary doctore and nurses etc who may well be tied up working on the CV outbreak.

I could give many more examples of core crew with particular skill sets but I'm sure that you get the idea.

Not wanting to be a doom monger, I do have serious doubts about this year's festival as do most people that I have talked to who are in various ways also involved.

For my crew/friends/family it had always been better than Christmas, the best event of the year and the best party on the planet.

Fingers and everything else available crossed that it will go ahead.

(Sorry if I'm just repeating previous post/s but I haven't read every page of every c virus thread)

Aye, and my biggest concern is the the point of go/no-go will be months prior to the actual event, before the cost start to build and regardless of the actual situation in June because, other than educated predictions, that situation is currently unknowable - what is calculable is the cost of cancelling soon vs the week before.

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah, I heard Coachella was in a bad position and I'm inclined to say this is true. Rough – a shame.

Lana's gonna pull out of Glasto for sure, I reckon. She's not shy about cancellations.

Presumably as she's already cancelled shows due to illness, I get the feeling she wouldn't be keen on continuing and contracting another illness straight away.

With regards to the coachella rescheduling talk, that is some massive undertaking considering all the artists have touring schedules and commitments.  I don't imagine it as being a feasible solution to try and move the entire bill to a different date, as many would acts would not be able to accommodate such a change in scheduling.