Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I absolutely hate the fella but JRM has kinda got it right with his response. 

Get Nanny to kiss it better (apologies for that image)

2 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

There could be some interesting changes to ticketing rules.  If a large number of people can't go because they're ill will their tickets become transferable?

I work in tourism and we've relaxed cancellation terms for people coming from China, South Korea and Italy for now

3 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

There could be some interesting changes to ticketing rules.  If a large number of people can't go because they're ill will their tickets become transferable?

Only in the current indirect way - cancel and go back into the pot. I can see them extending the cancellation deadline, but allowing you to sell them on directly (if that's what you mean?) - no chance.

Okay - so I was not successful in getting tickets this year and am desperately hoping for success in April resale - I feel like my chances are higher now with all this worry over coronovirus - not sure if I am mad but heyho - I will definitely be trying  in the resale unless it has been confirmed that it is cancelled

1 hour ago, Pauladuncan70 said:

Okay - so I was not successful in getting tickets this year and am desperately hoping for success in April resale - I feel like my chances are higher now with all this worry over coronovirus - not sure if I am mad but heyho - I will definitely be trying  in the resale unless it has been confirmed that it is cancelled

I agree with you. I’m actually sick right now (maybe with coronavirus*!) and I have tickets to a sold out comedy show this Friday. I always monitor ticket prices on stubhub (scalping website) for fun, and these tickets were 3x-4x their value as of end of last week. 

Since I’m self-quarantined and worried I’ll still be sick come this Friday, I checked the prices on stubhub in case I need to sell and the prices have dropped to face value and, looking at the amount of inventory, I think will drop even more before Friday. I suspect it’s because of current coronavirus hysteria that the tickets dropped this much. 

I can see a scenario where if the media hysteria and ensuing social hysteria keeps up (I’m in the USA and it’s pretty bad and I assume the same over there based on the 93 page Coronavirus thread page count on this forum...) - Anyways if it keeps up and reaches *fever pitch* (punning!) in early-to-mid-April we could see a best case situation where tons throw their tickets back, the ticket resale has soft demand, and everyone here gets tickets to the 50th! The 50th, which, btw, will totally happen and WILL NOT CANCELLED! 🙂  *knocks on wood*

*re: me and my coronavirus - to explain - last Thursday I felt weird, then hacking cough started that night, fever started Friday and lasted through the weekend. I’m fever free as of yesterday but the horrific cough continues. Did I have coronavirus or a cold or the flu? I won’t ever know. They made clear here in NYC they are only testing people if they have my symptoms plus “severe shortness of breath” and/or recent travel with one of the hot countries so I haven’t bothered going to a doctor since nothing doctor-worthy has happened to me yet. I just have self-quarantined and been sitting at home getting high on cough syrup as one is supposed to do. I wouldn’t mind a “I got THE CORONAVIRUS and all I got was this lousy t-shirt” t-shirt though... 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, assorted said:

I agree with you. I’m actually sick right now (maybe with coronavirus*!) and I have tickets to a sold out comedy show this Friday. I always monitor ticket prices on stubhub (scalping website) for fun, and these tickets were 3x-4x their value as of end of last week. 

Since I’m self-quarantined and worried I’ll still be sick come this Friday, I checked the prices on stubhub in case I need to sell and the prices have dropped to face value and, looking at the amount of inventory, I think will drop even more before Friday. I suspect it’s because of current coronavirus hysteria that the tickets dropped this much. 

I can see a scenario where if the media hysteria and ensuing social hysteria keeps up (I’m in the USA and it’s pretty bad and I assume the same over there based on the 93 page Coronavirus thread page count on this forum...) - Anyways if it keeps up and reaches *fever pitch* (punning!) in early-to-mid-April we could see a best case situation where tons throw their tickets back, the ticket resale has soft demand, and everyone here gets tickets to the 50th! The 50th, which, btw, will totally happen and WILL NOT CANCELLED! 🙂  *knocks on wood*

*re: me and my coronavirus - to explain - last Thursday I felt weird, then hacking cough started that night, fever started Friday and lasted through the weekend. I’m fever free as of yesterday but the horrific cough continues. Did I have coronavirus or a cold or the flu? I won’t ever know. They made clear here in NYC they are only testing people if they have my symptoms plus “severe shortness of breath” and/or recent travel with one of the hot countries so I haven’t bothered going to a doctor since nothing doctor-worthy has happened to me yet. I just have self-quarantined and been sitting at home getting high on cough syrup as one is supposed to do. I wouldn’t mind a “I got THE CORONAVIRUS and all I got was this lousy t-shirt” t-shirt though... 

I hope you get well soon! 

I actually have a friend in NYC who got sent home from work for a cough and a fever a couple of days ago (he's also an EFestivals lurker...so he'll probably read this and moan at me about it later). I guess he isn't being tested either, having not been to any of the designated places recently...which makes me wonder how much more widespread it actually is (and thus, presumably, how much lower the fatality rate?)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, assorted said:

Get well soon but..... you shouldn’t sell tickets for anymore than face value anyway 😉

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I hope you get well soon! 

I actually have a friend in NYC who got sent home from work for a cough and a fever a couple of days ago (he's also an EFestivals lurker...so he'll probably read this and moan at me about it later). I guess he isn't being tested either, having not been to any of the designated places recently...which makes me wonder how much more widespread it actually is (and thus, presumably, how much lower the fatality rate?)

I don’t know how true this is, but my friend (a Brit who is on a sabbatical working in NYC) says that Americans generally get terrible holiday allowances and sick pay terms, so everyone turns up to the office even if they are ill coughing and sneezing? If this is the case you’d imagine it would be much harder to contain with a working culture like that.

52 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t know how true this is, but my friend (a Brit who is on a sabbatical working in NYC) says that Americans generally get terrible holiday allowances and sick pay terms, so everyone turns up to the office even if they are ill coughing and sneezing?

Very true, unfortunately.

I used to know someone working in the US - they basically got 5 days paid leave per year, everything beyond that was unpaid regardless of whether it was sick leave or holiday. Apparently any company offering more than 10 (combined) days was considered unusual.

I wonder if the poster will be delayed due to the virus, if you are considering cancelling, it’s easier to sell it to people if their expectations and excitement is lower. Not everyone is a nutter who thinks about Glastonbury on an hourly basis, once the poster is out casuals will start paying more attention, making it harder to sell a cancellation.

i wonder if they are thinking about moving it to later in the year. August would be very nice.

3 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I wonder if the poster will be delayed due to the virus, if you are considering cancelling, it’s easier to sell it to people if their expectations and excitement is lower. Not everyone is a nutter who thinks about Glastonbury on an hourly basis, once the poster is out casuals will start paying more attention, making it harder to sell a cancellation.

i wonder if they are thinking about moving it to later in the year. August would be very nice.

if they have to cancel, they won't need to 'sell' it. Sure, plenty will be disappointed but they'll also understand the reason why and won't hold it against the festival.

18 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Huh? Why not?

Yeah they won’t need to and don’t need to sell anything to anybody. Any decision made to cancel it will be forced upon them by the government. The only situation that might lead to them cancelling it themselves is that if so many acts cancel it becomes unviable for them to put it on. I can’t see things getting that bad that the second scenario happens before the first, though.

I think they will carry on as normal, and if anything surely they’d want to make it as big a deal as possible for the Government (And even acts) to cancel it, so release the lineup early if anything.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

if they have to cancel, they won't need to 'sell' it. Sure, plenty will be disappointed but they'll also understand the reason why and won't hold it against the festival.

True, but I suspect they'll think twice about releasing a poster to hype people up if they're considering an imminent cancellation. 

EDIT: On that basis, I'd say that if they did release a poster than that would say more about their confidence than that last nothing of a statement.

Edited by stuartbert two hats