Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

If they did cancel it, do you think the tickets would be valid for a re-scheduled Glastonbury?  I don't think I could bear losing the ticket and having to go through the hell of sales again.  Makes me anxious just thinking about it! 

3 minutes ago, WStoner said:

If they did cancel it, do you think the tickets would be valid for a re-scheduled Glastonbury?  I don't think I could bear losing the ticket and having to go through the hell of sales again.  Makes me anxious just thinking about it! 

Thats another poll ... we realistically dont have any idea ... dont be anxious about something that has yet to happen ... enjoy the fact you have a ticket :) 

there is a HUGE amount of speculation at the moment. The government is planning for the worse possible scenario and the press are fuelling the speculation because it fills air time, drives clicks and pays premiums for advertising. 

I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better but so will flu! 

i'm of the opinion that this helps keep the world focussed on things which aren't key at the moment. 

Climate Change is a bigger worry for me. 

As long as it doesn't get to extreme numbers i'm sure the festival will go ahead.

It is unlikely that it can be contained in the UK and the Govt would rather that it spreads and the economy carries on the best it can. 

Cancelling events, shutting down businesses and restricticting movement woukld in the bean counters' eyes be worse than mass infection.

Therefore the festival will go ahead.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

It is unlikely that it can be contained in the UK and the Govt would rather that it spreads and the economy carries on the best it can. 

Cancelling events, shutting down businesses and restricticting movement woukld in the bean counters' eyes be worse than mass infection.

The festival is a drop in the economy though. Cancelling Glastonbury and similar size events is by no means on the same level as placing restrictions on public transport and business operations. Hopefully it won't come to it - but mass events are a luxury that can be sacrificed in aid of controlling the virus whilst allowing day-to-day life to continue operating as normally as possible with reduced socio-economic effects.

• Upvote 1

I feel confident that by June things will be stable. It might get rocky at some points but I feel like this should be a time where we band together as a nation and sort it out.

Dunno whether this is just some instinctive jingoism but I feel like Britain can handle this easy peasy. It’s America charging $4000 to test people who haven’t got health insurance which is rough. 

I absolutely hate the fella but JRM has kinda got it right with his response. The old British way might be how we get ourselves out of this.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If you read the other thread, you'd think that everyone is either hysterical or in firm denial.  To me, the outcome is a bit more uncertain at this point. 

What do you think?

Careful stu apparently we should have all the information from the other thread.. Lol 

34 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Difficult to say that though, letting big events go ahead and increasing the spread of the virus will lead to a greater strain on the NHS, more deaths (Not just from this but from other things as a knock on effect) and greater impact on businesses who have to shut down or have staff stay at home etc etc.

Both scenario a will have an impact on the economy, but they’ll have modelling to show which will have the bigger impact and it’s just as likely containing it at all costs is the least worse option.

37 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I feel confident that by June things will be stable. It might get rocky at some points but I feel like this should be a time where we band together as a nation and sort it out.

Dunno whether this is just some instinctive jingoism but I feel like Britain can handle this easy peasy. It’s America charging $4000 to test people who haven’t got health insurance which is rough. 

I absolutely hate the fella but JRM has kinda got it right with his response. The old British way might be how we get ourselves out of this.

Is this sarcasm? I fucking hope so. Don't know if you've seen the state of the NHS lately but it cannot cope with a pandemic.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Looking at the decrease in new cases and the increase in recoveries in China over the past 3 weeks makes me think we'll be fine. It will get worse in the UK before it gets better, and events in March and April may well be cancelled/postponed, but I feel very confident the situation will have improved come June, enough for all summer festivals to go ahead.

this 👍

7 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

There could be some interesting changes to ticketing rules.  If a large number of people can't go because they're ill will their tickets become transferable?

potential for the return of the secret sales maybe ? lots of potential outcomes ... I dont think they will want to make them transferable though,  its very dependent on numbers as people are always unable to make it due to last minute occurrences but I dont want it to become a highest offer type thing as that would definitely rule me out and rule out resale chances too 

24 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

There could be some interesting changes to ticketing rules.  If a large number of people can't go because they're ill will their tickets become transferable?

Can’t see that as it raises the spectre of large scale touting. Probably back into the pot and some sort of snap unsecret  secret sale!