The acts you should see or the acts you were meant to discover...

PickledCarl

I had a massive breakthrough at Glastonbury 2019... after years of racing across fields at festivals to make the end of that set or get the perfect spot for that act, I summoned all of my courage and went to the stage nearby and had a listen someone I knew little about...

I know many of the seasoned Glastonbury folk on here will have made this leap a long time ago, for me it was like turning on a light.

I've struggled for years with whether I should race to all the acts I should see or float around the festival to stumble upon the acts I was meant to discover. It genuinely took a lot of effort for me to let go of that schedule that I had painstakingly planned for months in advance, but once I did I felt like I really started to experience Glastonbury.

So this year I'm not going to have a list of acts and set times to race between, I'm going to have a list of acts that I would like to check out, if I do great, if I don't maybe even better.

Does anyone have any good stories of missing a must see act and discovering something amazing??

I was standing in WH waiting for Toots & The Maytals on a pretty hot afternoon in '17. The chap next to me ( a total stranger) passed me something to smoke in anticipation of the funky reggae we were looking forward to. It was quite strong. After quite a long wait, it was announced that Toots could not make it to the stage and the set was cancelled. I wandered off, in a bit of a state, feeling like I needed something a bit mellow to match my mood and wandered into a tent. In there I experienced a furious onslaught of heavy psychedelia that was little intense for how I was feeling. But I was transfixed and enjoyed the whole show. Back out in the sun and getting back to normal I began to question what I had just heard, was it really that full-on, or was it herbally assisted?

Later that day, I found my programme and checked on where I had been and who I had seen. It was King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. They were playing another set the next day in JP and I went to see that, and yes, they were that full-on.  I never would have discovered them were it not for Toots' inability to navigate a festival site...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

His description sounded good in guide. What a performance! Was a total stab in the dark. 

I'd had a listen to him before the festival and managed to persuade most of my group to join me - we had a great time, the basslines were v strong that afternoon! Admittedly he's a bit marmite and most of the women in our group made a swift exit, but he's become a bit of a legend amongst those that stayed for the duration.

3 minutes ago, The Spandex Warrior said:

I'd had a listen to him before the festival and managed to persuade most of my group to join me - we had a great time, the basslines were v strong that afternoon! Admittedly he's a bit marmite and most of the women in our group made a swift exit, but he's become a bit of a legend amongst those that stayed for the duration.

Everyone from my crew who came still rave about it like and everyone had a properly fun time. Was early afternoon n’all wasn’t it so got the day started. A very fond memory for us.