My first ever gig.....

Chesh

9 hours ago, zero000 said:

YepI think that was Muse at their "peak" everything since has been a steady creative decline despite being pretty commercially successful. Not got much interest in them nowadays but the memories were good. (fuck I sound old! :lol: )

Some of the new stuff still sounds good live imo - Simulation Theory material was better than I was expecting, even if I like most of it on record. But I do agree the first 4 albums are better than the following 4.

Still, there's always the memories if its no longer your jam. And the increasingly realisation of 2006 being an increasingly absurd number of years ago.

4 hours ago, YourMonkeyWrench said:

911 in Asda Car Park near York circa 1995.

Around 95/96 I was working at the Virgin Megastore in Edinburgh and 911 were doing an in store appearance.  I did have a real loathing of boy bands (or indeed any manufactured pop band) at that  time and was down in the staff room having my break when they came ahead of their appearance.  They started chatting away to me and were really nice and pleasant which somewhat burst my pre-conceptions!

13 hours ago, Chesh said:

We were born in a similar era so you’ll remember what I’m about to say. 
Watching any original punk band in the late 70’s came with it a lot of spit if you were anywhere near the stage. 
When I watched The Buzzcocks at 16, it was a part of the punk ‘scene’ to spit at the band. 
It sounds (and it was) disgusting, but all part of punk at the time. 

Oh yes - Stranglers gigs and JJB and Cornwell would jump into the crowd for a fight - remember a big kick off at top rank Cardiff. A few other ugly ones - 999/Angelic Upstarts @ Stowhill Newport; Sham69 Cardiff Uni and Dead Kennedys Hyde Manchester - all involved quite a lot of glass, and not a lot of "are you alright mate".

Sex Pistols gig got pulled but I was too old for them - 17 - they appealed to kids who didn't know what a nazi was - hated that whole nazi punk thing.

23 hours ago, Chesh said:

Watching any original punk band in the late 70’s came with it a lot of spit if you were anywhere near the stage. 
When I watched The Buzzcocks at 16, it was a part of the punk ‘scene’ to spit at the band. 

It wasn't nice was it and as far as i remember it got worse when punk became more stylized and there were loads of identikit Sid Vicious clones. I heard that it started with John Lydon having to spit on the ground as a consequence of his meningitis and he  possibly ended up spitting into the crowd who then returned the favour and it then escalated from there, but that could just be a myth

On 3/4/2020 at 8:47 PM, dondo said:

Around 95/96 I was working at the Virgin Megastore in Edinburgh and 911 were doing an in store appearance. 

i used to work in Tower Records in the mid - late '90s - we had some great instores over the years but one of the very best had to be Right Said Fred! 

1 hour ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

i used to work in Tower Records in the mid - late '90s - we had some great instores over the years but one of the very best had to be Right Said Fred! 

I worked at ASDA in the late 90s and the Lilt Ladies came and did a set.

On 3/4/2020 at 5:49 PM, Chesh said:

Even though I was still a massive Prog Rock fan of the 70s (Floyd, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson etc) when punk came along during the heyday of 1977-80 I saw all the major punk bands except the Sex Pistols, so 3x each for The Clash, The Jam, The Stranglers, also The Ramones, Siouxsie, Buzzcocks, etc, the gigs were a real thrill because there was such a buzz about it, despite the spitting. I still had long hair at the time so I looked more like a hippy than a punk, so I wasn’t doing the spitting!

7 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I worked there in the late 90,s and still do ... what a difference !!! 

Yeah, I was there for a few years and worked in several departments and left shortly after the Wal*Mart takeover. Was a great place to work but I hear from people still there that things have changed a lot over the last few years.

I can't pinpoint my first ever gig - I went to a few in the 90s with my Dad, but it was probably 2001 when I have the first recollections of me attending gigs by myself: 

Wheatus @ Liverpool Royal Court

Biffy Clyro @ Liverpool BarFly 

Four Star Mary @ Liverpool BarFly

I also remember seeing Ash and Jimmy Eat World co-touring but I think that was in Manchester! 

A chequered past indeed!

7 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I can't pinpoint my first ever gig - I went to a few in the 90s with my Dad, but it was probably 2001 when I have the first recollections of me attending gigs by myself: 

Wheatus @ Liverpool Royal Court

Biffy Clyro @ Liverpool BarFly 

Four Star Mary @ Liverpool BarFly

I also remember seeing Ash and Jimmy Eat World co-touring but I think that was in Manchester! 

A chequered past indeed!

I saw Wheatus in Parr Hall 😎

My first was probably 93, a band called Theives of Fire who went on to become local legends Absolution.

Fist 'proper' gig was when my Aunt took me to see Fish at Bristol Colston Hall.

1st I went to with mates was Blaggers ITA in Swindon somewhere.