My first ever gig.....

Chesh

40 minutes ago, DDave said:

Still probably the worst gig I've ever been to. Missed all the supports, took an age to get served, the sound was shit and people were pissing everywhere and throwing also throwing piss everywhere. 

The drink and toilet situation that day was a joke, luckily took all our booze in with us. As for the sound, I remember it being pretty good where we were, and saw very little flying piss. You were dealt a shit one there.

41 minutes ago, nusha said:

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Birmingham Odeon 1984!! The start of a lifelong love for live music and gigs 😁

F4F7146E-89C3-454F-AA6A-20F14F153C7A.jpeg

Nice, I lost all my ticket stubs when we moved house. Still not over it.

Though minus points for M People :D

I left it late to go to gigs, 19 at Plymouth Uni Hall... Pendulum playing live to about 500 people just as they were about to go massive at festivals. 6 of us down the front, still have the pictures on my hard drive. That would make it 2018.

I’d been to fabric, Ministry of Sound & uni ball before where Hundred Reasons & Ralf Little played but I wouldn’t consider them “gigs”.

edit: 2008! I’m getting old.

Edited by Bisque

Muse at Cardiff Arena in 2006. It was fantastic and blew my mind at the time. I was utterly obsessed with them and camped out all day in November to get to the front. Some kind people supplied us with vodka to keep us warm. It was brilliant and I was hooked. 

V festival 2006 with my dad aged 14.

Eventually went to a gig when I was deemed old enough to go to London without a chaperone in 2008 for Bloc Party at the Olympia on Easter Sunday. My friend lost his shoes and I nearly passed out after sweating out all of my liquids in the ‘indie pits’. Class night, and Foals supported making it even better 👀

Edited by Andy0808 v5

7 hours ago, morph100 said:

Beastie Boys Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1995

funny how so many first gigs are at this venue 

I took my Sons to see Arctic Monkeys there in the bands early days. It’s a great venue isn’t it?

4 hours ago, westholtschic said:

Level 42 in 1983 at the Paignton Festival Theatre. 

Quality. I was massively into Level 42 in the early 80’s but never got to see them live. 
like I said in an earlier post, we should seize the moment and see as many bands as possible before it’s too late. I had so many opportunities to see some fantastic bands in really small Intimate venues, but didn’t bother.
So many regrets in later years. 

Peter Gabriel at, I think, the Hammersmith Odeon in the mid 70s. I was about 13/14 and went with my friend from school. I can't remember anything about it except wondering what the funny smell was (I was very naive!). I do vaguely remember him coming down the aisle by us which was pretty exciting! Also saw Darts a few years later like a previous poster and they were great fun. 

2 hours ago, Chesh said:

Quality. I was massively into Level 42 in the early 80’s but never got to see them live. 
like I said in an earlier post, we should seize the moment and see as many bands as possible before it’s too late. I had so many opportunities to see some fantastic bands in really small Intimate venues, but didn’t bother.
So many regrets in later years. 

It was really good. I was 15 and was very drunk on 50p pints of Toby bitter 😂

9 hours ago, nusha said:

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Birmingham Odeon 1984!! The start of a lifelong love for live music and gigs 😁

F4F7146E-89C3-454F-AA6A-20F14F153C7A.jpeg

My first 'gig' was also at the Birmingham Odeon. I went to see OMD there. I seem to remember it being a matinee performance. Like a warm up for the evening gig. I may be wrong on that though. 

First gig I ever paid for the ticket was Wilko Johnson back in 1977 - in a barn.
My brother (4 years older) tells me that we saw Hendrix at a variety show when we were little - apparently he did these when he first came over to the UK. I have false memories of that, I'm sure.

Biggest mistake - had tickets to see The Jam at Manchester Apollo back in 1980 - but also had girlfriend on a surprise visit, coming up from Wales to see me. Choice - go to gig or give ticket away and see her. Daft soppy sod, apparently they were fab!

37 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

First gig I ever paid for the ticket was Wilko Johnson back in 1977 - in a barn.
My brother (4 years older) tells me that we saw Hendrix at a variety show when we were little - apparently he did these when he first came over to the UK. I have false memories of that, I'm sure.

Biggest mistake - had tickets to see The Jam at Manchester Apollo back in 1980 - but also had girlfriend on a surprise visit, coming up from Wales to see me. Choice - go to gig or give ticket away and see her. Daft soppy sod, apparently they were fab!

We all need to know what happened with the girl! Is this a happily married ever after story, or did she dump you a week later for the friend you gave the ticket to?

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Nice, I lost all my ticket stubs when we moved house. Still not over it.

Though minus points for M People :D

I did something similar with some of my favourite stubs but I scanned the originals and cut and pasted them onto the top a £5 Ikea table. Carefully covered them with clear sticky plastic and got some glass cut for the top. Voila! A nice memory table and a good conversation starter. And the bonus is, all the originals are safely stored in a couple shoe boxes. I'd be devastated if I lost them.

Screenshot_20200303-074105.png

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I did something similar with some of my favourite stubs but I scanned the originals and cut and pasted them onto the top a £5 Ikea table. Carefully covered them with clear sticky plastic and got some glass cut for the top. Voila! A nice memory table and a good conversation starter. And the bonus is, all the originals are safely stored in a couple shoe boxes. I'd be devastated if I lost them.

Screenshot_20200303-074105.png

Big fan of this.

Turns out we were at a few gigs together.