My first ever gig.....

Chesh

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Ooooh T Rex, deadly jealous! It’s funny we were probably at several of the same gigs! If you don’t know of it already, there’s a great website on the Apollo, I’m contributed to some of the gigs:

http://www.glasgowapollo.com/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=1

Cheers, I have spent hours and hours on that site! The T. rex gig was just after his appearance at the first Glastonbury 

Darts, around 1978 ish I think; good times, the innocence of youth 😎

Footnote, these were a big deal at the time down here in deepest darkest Devon, Paignton Pavilions was  bouncing 🤣🤣

Edited by oneeye

50 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Be shocked if they don’t do Glastonbury 21. My first Glastonbury headliner was Arctic Monkeys in 2013. Unreal. One of my favourite gigs ever. 

It was beyond belief wasn't it? That was my second Glasto after 2011. One of the most memorable moments of my life. The build up to that festival is something I'll never experience again. I couldn't sleep properly for months on end. The string section for the end still makes the hairs stand up, and Certain Romance was just iconic. Sounded so powerful and tight. Fuck sake I'm due an AM fix. Although that's probably the best moment for me seeing them, November 2011 they played LG in B'ham (SIAS tour) on the day I graduated. The gig was absolutely astounding and probably the best technical performance of theirs I've seen.

2 hours ago, Skelts said:

My first was also Inspiral Carpets in 1991, at the Oasis in Swindon. 
Noel Gallagher was the guitar tech and everyone cheered when he came on stage coz they thought he was Clint Boon, they had the same haircut 😂

I witnessed what must have been Noel’s first appearance performing at a festival - during the Inspiral Carpets’ headline (headline!) set at the 1990 Reading Festival, he was one end (not sure if it was front or back) of a pantomime cow that joined the band on stage

It was due to be Nirvana at Brixton Academy... but instead became The Spin Doctors, Hammersmith Apollo.  It wasn't a classic apparently...

'so loud and annoying are the NYC funsters that by the fifth song, everyone seems distracted, studying the ceiling, checking watches....a compulsion to bloat songs with meandering jams and funk-slogs which would get the average pub band glassed; titles like 'Yo Mama's a Pajama'; Chris's outfit - leggings, booties'' 

https://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/rock-review-safety-in-numbers-the-spin-doctors-hammersmith-apollo-london-1444178.html

Surprised to read they technically still exist.

The Killers, Birmingham NEC Arena, February 2009

Main memory is that I was more enthusiastic to hear album tracks than the singles, and that When You Were Young seemed to get the best reception of any of the big hitters whereas Mr. Brightside has been the one every time since.

4th gig was Rage Against The Machine at Finsbury Park the following June, which is my favourite of my early gigs (came after Muse at the O2 in November 2009 and Depeche Mode at Birmingham NEC in December 2009).

Edited by charlierc

2 hours ago, Skelts said:

My first was also Inspiral Carpets in 1991, at the Oasis in Swindon. 
Noel Gallagher was the guitar tech and everyone cheered when he came on stage coz they thought he was Clint Boon, they had the same haircut 😂

I went to that too! Historic gig :)

Depends on what you count, as my dad played in loads of local bands that I saw as a kid...

Proper gigs tho? Michael Jackson at Wembley stadium, Dangerous tour (1992?)

Non pop...

Oasis at earls court/ foos at Brixton in 1995 we're close together but can't quite remember which came first anymore

First proper* concert I can remember was Racing Cars at Leicester Poly (Sept 1977). One song they had that made the charts - ‘ They shoot horses don’t they’ 😊

said this before on this forum but strangest thing that happened was in May 1978. Went to see The Climax Blues Band (good they were). Supported by Dire Straits 🤷🏽‍♂️  6 months later DS had number 1 single and album in U.K. and US . Never seen em since  they were bloody good tho.

*saw loads of bands in working men’s clubs in earlier years as I worked as a glass collector and then behind the bar in a couple of them in NW.  I recall one of the bands was the Swinging Blue Jeans’ 😩

Edited by chuckles07
Grammar

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

My sister bought me a ticket for my 16th birthday (i went on my own)

9 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Wow. That's amazing!

Reg had just released Captain Fantastic and did it front to back...(although finished up with the hits..) I just read his autobiography where he said what a fuck up it was..

The Beach Boys absolutely stole it though...

I would quite like him to be the Sunday headliner in 2021... Then for completeness i could make it my last gig too....*

*of course i am talking bollocks there..

4 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Arctic Monkeys Lancashire Cricket Ground. Supports included a Japanese Beatles tribute band (class), Supergrass, The Coral and Amy Winehouse. It was 40 quid I think. I’ve seen them at least once on every tour since.

Still probably the worst gig I've ever been to. Missed all the supports, took an age to get served, the sound was shit and people were pissing everywhere and throwing also throwing piss everywhere. 

5 hours ago, Chesh said:

Jealous. 
I had a few opportunities to see Bowie. Through choice at the time I ‘didnt bother’. 
What an idiot. 

Seize the moment to see ‘that artist’ guys. 

I’ve been listening to his 2000 Glastonbury set in the car a lot recently. I was there for it, but I wasn’t massively into Bowie at the time and didn’t really appreciate it. Listening back it’s probably one of the best performances I’ve witnessed and I can’t remember a thing about it! 😬

1 hour ago, DJL said:

The Spin Doctors, Hammersmith Apollo. 

4 minutes ago, DDave said:

I'll add another - Spin Doctors, supported by Cud. 1994.

I had completely forgotten about the support act until you mentioned them but yeah we had the same...

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Reg had just released Captain Fantastic and did it front to back...(although finished up with the hits..) I just read his autobiography where he said what a fuck up it was..

The Beach Boys absolutely stole it though...

I would quite like him to be the Sunday headliner in 2021... Then for completeness i could make it my last gig too....*

*of course i am talking bollocks there..

He's in my top 3 favourite of all time and I finally saw him 2 years ago in Brum. It was phenomenal. Obviously nothing compared to your Wembley gig but I was proper emotional and happy that I got to see him. I love the way he's altered tunes to suit his voice nowadays, it's a completely new take on them.

I don't think he'll play in 2021 for some reason. I'm gutted as I told the Mrs a while ago I'd have 2021 off.

I too... was talking bollocks.