My first ever gig.....

Chesh

My first gig was the metal band called Samson at the Student Union at the local University Student Union Hall (I now work at the same University)

(The drummer wore a Ski mask and they had a song called "I wish I was the saddle of a school girl's bike")

Not proud. I was like 15.

Edited by bamber

7 hours ago, bamber said:

My first gig was the metal band called Samson at the Student Union at the local University Student Union Hall (I now work at the same University)

(The drummer wore a Ski mask and they had a song called "I wish I was the saddle of a school girl's bike")

Not proud. I was like 15.

I saw them, when Bruce Dickinson was their singer. They were shit.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, Chesh said:

My first ever gig back in 1979 was The Buzzcocks at Newcastle City Hall (when I was 16!). 

Back then, people didn’t bother so much with the “support acts” so I didn’t see the “guests” as shown on the ticket..... 

I only recently found out who we missed when the guy I went with sent me this link and I’m sure you’ll feel my pain!! 😬

https://vintagerock.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/joy-division-newcastle-city-hall-4th-october-1979-supporting-the-buzzcocks/amp/

Yup... We missed seeing an early Joy Division!

I came from a town in the North East that didn't have a gig venue,  and led a sheltered early teenage life so never went to see bands at Newcastle or Sunderland. So when I got to Liverpool uni (1972) I went wild, with a gig or two every week. In week 1, having established my north-east identity with my new uni friends, I invited them to come and see Lindisfarne headlining at the Top Rank (now a Holiday Inn - opposite Lime St Station😞 my first ever gig. When it came to it, tuned out that most of them were more interested in the support. Some band called Genesis I think - could hardly hear the singer because he was wearing a ridiculous fox mask throughout :)

On 3/16/2020 at 8:04 AM, eFestivals said:

Yes, shit. Utter shit. Fun when you are 15 in 1979 though?

Ever noticed none of the Chanteuses  ever moonlighted as commercial airline pilots?

Not sure what I'm trying to say / point  I'm trying to make here.

On the whole, life with music is ....

Fine.

Edited by bamber

49 minutes ago, bamber said:

Ever noticed none of the Chanteuses  ever moonlighted as commercial airline pilots?

Not sure what I'm trying to say / point  I'm trying to make here.

On the whole, life with music is ....

Fine.

I'm guessing this was someone's first gig? 

Imagine that!

Green Day. Brixton Academy. January 1998 

I was far too young to be heading up to London without parental supervision but nothing was going to stop me. I still remember the feeling I had when I first walked in and saw the stage. I had never been in any kind of venue before. It gave me chills to just stand there and look around. I was instantly hooked for life. 

Saxon  - Bradford St George's Hall in Sept 1982 on their The Eagle has Landed Tour

followed by AC/DC a few days later on the For Those tour at Leeds Queens Hall

And thats why i am still doing gigs and on this bloody forum now !!!!!!

Edited by ivan
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 9:35 PM, DDave said:

Still probably the worst gig I've ever been to. Missed all the supports, took an age to get served, the sound was shit and people were pissing everywhere and throwing also throwing piss everywhere. 

I was there and there seemed to be a total lack of connection between the band and fans.

Not helped by Alex T saying " I'm not really feeling it tonight " 

So if you cannot be arsed why should we ? 

And yes you are right first gig i think i have ever been to where it was just pointless trying for a beer.

• Upvote 1

Feeling really old now - first gig was 1975 aged 15 - David Essex  at Earls Court - we were at  the furthest point and highest from the stage possible and I had forgotten my glasses 🙄

I can’t remember who else I saw between then and going to university in 1978 but the first gig there was The Ramones! 

22/5/1981 Bunch of us had tickets for Barclay James Harvest at Southampton Gaumont. Got to Southampton really early  to find out gig was cancelled due to drummer Mel Pritchard having broken his arm.

Only other thing we managed to find was Girlschool playing in some Village Hall somewhere neart Bath. Loudest thing I never heard. Ears ringing.......

Ended up sleeping in the car in a multistorey in Bath afterwards.

2 hours ago, bamber said:

David Essex  at Earls Court.

Mercy....

What can I say - he was today’s equivalent of whoever teenage girls are into these days! That’ll Be The Day and Stardust films were big! 😂  My friend Lorraine was a big fan and screamed all the way through! 

First gig wasn’t until I was 20 so a late starter. Arctic Monkeys @ Cardiff motorpoint in 2011 supported by the Vaccines. Suck it and See tour and also same year Vaccines debut came out. Seen both bands 5 times since and hoping they’re both active again next year, both class acts 

On 3/16/2020 at 8:04 AM, eFestivals said:

Bruce Bruce at the time.

On 3/20/2020 at 1:23 AM, bamber said:

They were always shit, wasn't the drummer called Thunderstick or something equally shite?