My first ever gig.....

Chesh

On 3/4/2020 at 8:47 PM, dondo said:

Around 95/96 I was working at the Virgin Megastore in Edinburgh and 911 were doing an in store appearance.  I did have a real loathing of boy bands (or indeed any manufactured pop band) at that  time and was down in the staff room having my break when they came ahead of their appearance.  They started chatting away to me and were really nice and pleasant which somewhat burst my pre-conceptions!

Nice people, terrible songs though. 😂

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2020 at 7:19 PM, fatyeti24 said:

04bd230e7ccb42d0c21bddab7c6539e4.webp

This was mine, at Maine Road.  I would have been 14 and went with a couple of mates.  I'd no idea who Soundgarden were, Guns were disappointing but FNM were great. Mike Patton said some very rude things about Princess Di. 

Was that the one where G'n'R had a massively reduced set because they came on late? I'd opted for the Wembley one, I'd forgotten FNM supported. 

22 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Was that the one where G'n'R had a massively reduced set because they came on late? I'd opted for the Wembley one, I'd forgotten FNM supported. 

That's right.  And it had been postponed a few days too so they didn't have their own stage - they were, if memory serves, using one belonging to Dire Straits who were due to play the next day or so.

It was a lesson for young me - I idolised them at the time, I was gutted!  My first gig, my favourite band and they let me down!

But still it was an authentic GNR experience I suppose.

On 3/8/2020 at 7:19 PM, fatyeti24 said:

04bd230e7ccb42d0c21bddab7c6539e4.webp

This was mine, at Maine Road.  I would have been 14 and went with a couple of mates.  I'd no idea who Soundgarden were, Guns were disappointing but FNM were great. Mike Patton said some very rude things about Princess Di. 

I saw them in Wembley in 91 thought it was one of the best gigs I'd ever seen, don't even remember Soundgarden or FNM. 

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

That's right.  And it had been postponed a few days too so they didn't have their own stage - they were, if memory serves, using one belonging to Dire Straits who were due to play the next day or so.

It was a lesson for young me - I idolised them at the time, I was gutted!  My first gig, my favourite band and they let me down!

But still it was an authentic GNR experience I suppose.

That's one way to look at it :D

I was lucky to see them 5 times as they toured the early albums and they were always excellent, still kicking myself for not going to one of the Marquee shows before Appetite came out though.

1 minute ago, HattersBoy said:

I saw them in Wembley in 91 thought it was one of the best gigs I'd ever seen, don't even remember Soundgarden or FNM. 

Did you see them the other time they played Wembley when Skid Row supported? They were very memorable, the local council banned them after the gig.

17 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Looks like Skid Row was 91 and FNM 92 but both Use Your Illusion tour.

The offending rant that got Skid Row banned 👇

Very mature, I must say.

If you're going to try to make a point, on stage, in front of tens of thousands, it may help to have not pissed yourself first.

51 minutes ago, Slugy said:

Bloc Party supported by The Cribs & Foals

This is genuinely one of the gigs I'm more jealous of in this thread. Yeah fair one everyone listing off my favourite bands from the 70s and 80s and early 90s but I was born in '92, these gigs might as well be fiction to me. This very specific gig/tour I was dying to go to but couldn't scrape together the funds or friends for it. 

Although the Manchester date was in Manchester Central I think and I've never liked gigs there.

5 hours ago, priest17 said:

This is genuinely one of the gigs I'm more jealous of in this thread. Yeah fair one everyone listing off my favourite bands from the 70s and 80s and early 90s but I was born in '92, these gigs might as well be fiction to me. This very specific gig/tour I was dying to go to but couldn't scrape together the funds or friends for it. 

Although the Manchester date was in Manchester Central I think and I've never liked gigs there.

It was my first introduction to Foals and I remember there being hardly anyone there for them/not pay attention. I've gone on to see them 20+ times since then and was a nice way to start my love affair with them. Being my first gig I also was not prepared for the carnage when Bloc Party came on and stupidly stood right in prime mosh territory. 

Same with Ally Pally, never been a massive fan of the venue and its not helped with the slap of a walk after.

Scorpions at Victoria Hall, Hanley on the love drive tour. Second was also at Victoria Hall - Motörhead. So I probably saw them perform one of the first and last Gigs. 
Also saw Bob Marley at one of his last Gigs at Bingley Hall. Weird place to watch music in a cattle auction. At least there were some more aromatic smells to cover up the cow shit for Bob

17 hours ago, tarw said:

Scorpions at Victoria Hall, Hanley on the love drive tour. Second was also at Victoria Hall - Motörhead. So I probably saw them perform one of the first and last Gigs. 
Also saw Bob Marley at one of his last Gigs at Bingley Hall. Weird place to watch music in a cattle auction. At least there were some more aromatic smells to cover up the cow shit for Bob

Back when Stoke used to get the big bands. Queen and Led Zep played Bingley Hall as well.