My first ever gig.....

Chesh

33 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Very jealous of the Live Stiffs tour with Elvis C, Ian Dury, Larry Wallis, Nick Lowe and Wreckless Eric.  

Yes, I remember it quite well, Ian Dury used to keep hitting himself on the head with his microphone, deliberately, and doing Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll: Wreckless Eric doing Whole Wide World (Which I guess he did on recent Glastonbury performances?), Nick Lowe I Knew The Bride.... and I sadly later I lost my favourite t-shirt of the time, the then risqué If it ain’t Stiff it ain’t worth a fuck.

3 minutes ago, kenlackly said:

The Clash, Sheffield Lyceum...think it was ‘81. And honourable mention to the support act, theatre of hate. So happy to have seen strummer before he left us.....another one showing his age 😩

😎😎😎😎😎

• Like 1

First "gig" was Power in the Park, a free concert on Southampton Common put on by the local radio station, in '97 (I think). 911, Alisha's Attic, Louise and Ocean Colour Scene (who we missed), can't remember who else.

First actual gig was Gomez at Portsmouth Guildhall in 2002.

2 hours ago, 4519dennis said:

Elvis Costello and the Attractions at Taunton Odeon in 1979 with Richard Hell and the Voidoids supporting. Sitting in second from front row but no-one allowed to stand with bouncers on watch

Hammersmith Odeon used to be terrible for this as well, until too many stood up for them to stop. On the other hand Canterbury Odeon had no security at all, just the normal cinema box office staff and the first few rows of seats would be reduced to to matchwood by the crush within minutes of the band coming on.

It is always weird to remember that there was never any security barriers at that time, there was just a massive crush against the stage for the lively punk / new wave gigs while at the more sedate ones even at standing venues everyone was still sitting cross legged on the floor

Edited by tjamest

Placebo in Fremantle, Western Australia, the second weekend when I went off for a year gallivanting round the world. I was 20, and it was in 1999. Never went to a gig before that cos I’d rather have spent the money on going to football, and hardly anyone I knew liked my kind of music and I wasn’t really able to go on my own at the time.
now, of course, I’d far rather go on my own to a gig so I don’t have to ponce around with someone else and can just go and get right in the mixer 🤣🤣 

19 hours ago, zero000 said:

Muse at Cardiff Arena in 2006. It was fantastic and blew my mind at the time. I was utterly obsessed with them and camped out all day in November to get to the front. Some kind people supplied us with vodka to keep us warm. It was brilliant and I was hooked. 

First gig for a friend of mine was a Birmingham show on that same tour. Makes me rather jealous, given all my Muse gigs have been since Resistance came out, which is probably their patchiest album.

I don't think there's as many overnight campers now for Muse shows now. I remember Wembley in 2010 had duvets at the front of my GA queue, but I didn't spot similar for the London Stadium show last summer. Maybe other gigs still have that.

My first concert dates me as well, The Exploited, The Ritz, NYC 1988. I was 15 years old and because the opening act was an NYHC band (Raw Deal, later called Killing Time), a bunch of skinheads showed up and took over the front center near the stage and setup waving an american flag in front of the exploited the whole time. It was a pretty violent (and exciting!) show and got me addicted to live music for a long time. It was the first of a lot of very fun concerts I attended that year.

In researching the show for this post I found a live video of it!

I grew up on the coast so we used to have the radio one roadshow locally every summer, that was my first taste of being in a crowd watching a band on a stage, but it was mostly just a chart act miming on stage.  

My first proper gig was Jean Michel Jarre's docklands concert when I was 17.  Hell of a spectacle.

15 hours ago, charlierc said:

First gig for a friend of mine was a Birmingham show on that same tour. Makes me rather jealous, given all my Muse gigs have been since Resistance came out, which is probably their patchiest album.

I don't think there's as many overnight campers now for Muse shows now. I remember Wembley in 2010 had duvets at the front of my GA queue, but I didn't spot similar for the London Stadium show last summer. Maybe other gigs still have that.

YepI think that was Muse at their "peak" everything since has been a steady creative decline despite being pretty commercially successful. Not got much interest in them nowadays but the memories were good. (fuck I sound old! :lol: )

2 hours ago, zero000 said:

YepI think that was Muse at their "peak" everything since has been a steady creative decline despite being pretty commercially successful. Not got much interest in them nowadays but the memories were good. (fuck I sound old! :lol: )

Urgh, just realised you've changed your avatar. I fear change

My first gig was Showaddywaddy, but I don't usually tell anyone about that. The Guild Hall in Preston was legendary for metal/rock gigs, you name 'em, I was there.

Then, Joy Division at the Warehouse in Preston changed my life. Well it was the album actually, I started playing drums and i'm still at it (trying).

Recently, my mate told me about a top Bristol band playing in my local pub but I was busy being a dad taxi. Feckin Idles!!!! 

44 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

just having googled it, it was Iron Maiden with Praying Mantis supporting, on 21st June 1980 - I was 15 - at Bracknell Sports Centre. There was a horrible fight involving (I think) hell's angels (someone face was stamped on), and one of Praying Mantis fell off stage and broke his arm.

We were born in a similar era so you’ll remember what I’m about to say. 
Watching any original punk band in the late 70’s came with it a lot of spit if you were anywhere near the stage. 
When I watched The Buzzcocks at 16, it was a part of the punk ‘scene’ to spit at the band. 
It sounds (and it was) disgusting, but all part of punk at the time. 

Edited by Chesh