My first ever gig.....

Chesh

11 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

First one I wanted to go to was Iron Maiden at Liverpool Royal Court in 1981, support from Trust.

Several years earlier I was dragged along to see Tammy Wynette at The Empire. I fell asleep.

I worked as an artist's runner/General dogs body at a venue in Hereford. We had Tammy Wynette play. She was almost totally deaf. She wanted the monitors up so high we could hear them at the back of the room. 

2 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

First gig I ever paid for the ticket was Wilko Johnson back in 1977 - in a barn.
My brother (4 years older) tells me that we saw Hendrix at a variety show when we were little - apparently he did these when he first came over to the UK. I have false memories of that, I'm sure.

Biggest mistake - had tickets to see The Jam at Manchester Apollo back in 1980 - but also had girlfriend on a surprise visit, coming up from Wales to see me. Choice - go to gig or give ticket away and see her. Daft soppy sod, apparently they were fab!

I went the other way. It was my new girlfriends birthday coming up then my mate phoned up with a spare ticket to The Clash at The Lyceum on the same day. Safe to say i am still in a loving relationship with The Clash 40 years later

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

My first gig was Radio 1's Big Day Out in Swansea circa 2002 I think? Either 2001 or 2002. The first gig I actually bought tickets for under my own steam was The Hoosiers at Cardiff Arena in 2008. 

The Hoosiers were big enough for arenas!?

1 hour ago, plot2pot said:

We all need to know what happened with the girl! Is this a happily married ever after story, or did she dump you a week later for the friend you gave the ticket to?

We stuck it out for 3 years, alas not forever. And worse, the Jam split up too!!!

Forget which year, probably ‘96 I guess...? Terrorvision at the Southampton guildhall.

Pretty decent gig as I recall, though I had been on the cider so probably would have enjoyed anything. 😊

Ended up meeting the band backstage. We had to wait ages after it finished as someone’s dad was late picking us up, then saw a small gaggle of people rushing back into the venue. We followed along - security were nowhere to be seen and about 20 or 30 of us crowded back into the dressing rooms. 

The band were pretty chilled about it, chatted with everyone and I seem to remember I got a poster or something signed... long lost now anyway. 

Edited by jimmillen

Busted at NEC Arena, 24th March 2004. We had Mcfly and V (anyone remember them?) supporting. Was a great first concert as was obviously a young audience. 

My next one was Kanye West at the same venue in 2008, which I still think was my best ever gig although it was 11 years ago. Support acts were Kid Cudi, Mr Hudson, Santigold and Consequence .

Edited by discgoesmic

Bowie
1987 Cardiff Arms Park.  

My dad lifted me (9) and my 5 year old sister up over the gates so we could get in without tickets.  As we got to the top a security guard appeared below the gate and said ‘want me to open it for you beaut?’

24 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I've got most of my gig tickets still, luckily most of the old ones. Being an obsessive, I've a list of all the acts I've seen, now over 1,200!

A few of the older ones:

The Apollo.JPG

Zeppelin.jpg

Very jealous of the Live Stiffs tour with Elvis C, Ian Dury, Larry Wallis, Nick Lowe and Wreckless Eric.  

My first (real non Mcfly) gig was a Thom Yorke solo set at the Cambridge Corn Exchange in 2010. 

The first i actually saved and paid for a ticket for was Jake Bugg at the same venue in 2013, I remember being technically too young to get in, even though with some of my family and being very scared that the police could catch me lying at the doors.

4 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

My first (real non Mcfly) gig was a Thom Yorke solo set at the Cambridge Corn Exchange in 2010. 

The first i actually saved and paid for a ticket for was Jake Bugg at the same venue in 2013, I remember being technically too young to get in, even though with some of my family and being very scared that the police could catch me lying at the doors.

I did certainly go to a fair few before this (including my first festival being Latitude in 2008) although, Thom's is certainly the first that I fully remember and was able to take in.