Shangri-La 2020

Brave Sir Robin

The same website has an interesting bigger piece about the 50th, with quotes from various Glasto bigwigs: https://www.pollstar.com/article/long-may-it-last-glastonbury-miraculously-turns-50-143674

And an interview with the lawyer, Ben Challis: https://www.pollstar.com/article/meet-michael-eavis-lawyer-qs-with-ben-challis-general-council-for-glastonbury-143705

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Black Flag, Earache Express. Oooosh

Have you seen the Punk documentary series that Iggy Pop did last year?  Recorded it off Sky Arts last year, just got round to watching it.  Really good I thought, and a lot of focus on the US hardcore scene with Minor Threat, Black Flag, Circle Jerks etc. Well worth a watch.

https://www.epix.com/series/punk

You talking about Black Flag made me think about it, reckon it'd be right up your street. 

8 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

oh man.  On the one hand that would be amazing.  On the other, I'm already having a panic attack about how dangerously crowded that would be

this was also my thought - but also came to the conclusion they're booked elsewhere, im still holding out hope otherwise im going to have to go further afield to see them as I cant make reading/leeds

28 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

this was also my thought - but also came to the conclusion they're booked elsewhere, im still holding out hope otherwise im going to have to go further afield to see them as I cant make reading/leeds

Two little slivers of hope is that the R&L gigs haven't been labelled as a UK exclusive and there is a nice Glastonbury sized gap in their US tour in late June so potentially, it *could* happen.

Though unless their set was on the Pyramid or Other, it would have to be kept secret until they took to the stage for it not to be dangerously over crowded.

Though if the rumours of them doing a secret set in Shangri-la persist, I guess that means I'll just have to base myself in the SEC every night. 

What.A.Shame.

9 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Though unless their set was on the Pyramid or Other, it would have to be kept secret until they took to the stage for it not to be dangerously over crowded.

I 100% agree with this. They've had to cancel surprise performances in the past as word had got out, this would be a HUGE secret to keep for a performance in an area as already congested as SL

20 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

"some amazingly massive bands doing secret gigs. Bands people in LA would know."

I'd have thought that in itself would be enough to get it shelved/moved to somewhere with a bigger capacity

42 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I 100% agree with this. They've had to cancel surprise performances in the past as word had got out, this would be a HUGE secret to keep for a performance in an area as already congested as SL

I'd have thought that in itself would be enough to get it shelved/moved to somewhere with a bigger capacity

Whilst the SEC is already congested that also means it already has crowd control measures in place so whilst I agree that something on the scale of RATM is a bit silly it is one of the places best equipped to deal with a big secret set.

5 hours ago, Quark said:

Have you seen the Punk documentary series that Iggy Pop did last year?  Recorded it off Sky Arts last year, just got round to watching it.  Really good I thought, and a lot of focus on the US hardcore scene with Minor Threat, Black Flag, Circle Jerks etc. Well worth a watch.

https://www.epix.com/series/punk

You talking about Black Flag made me think about it, reckon it'd be right up your street. 

I have. Great series! Seeing Johnny Rotten get teary-eyed about Sid was a really poignant moment. 

25 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is that from The Filth and the Fury or is it a new interview?

New stuff. Really worth checking out. I'm not a massive punk fan, and the hardcore stuff doesn't do much for me at all, but I love any decent music documentary and this is a good'un

37 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I have. Great series! Seeing Johnny Rotten get teary-eyed about Sid was a really poignant moment. 

I knew MacKaye had kind of kick started the straight edge thing, but didn't realise the crosses on the back of the hand came as markers for kids too young to drink in the venues. I love snippets like that.

Edited by Quark

23 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Fascinating interview with GFS lawyer. Bit nerdy in places but I love it. The bands riders are amusing, and dealing with Michael in the early days sounds like a great experience......

@Quark me thinks this is up your street if you haven’t read it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

Fascinating interview with GFS lawyer. Bit nerdy in places but I love it. The bands riders are amusing, and dealing with Michael in the early days sounds like a great experience......

@Quark me thinks this is up your street if you haven’t read it. 

Quick first look and I thinks you'd be right. Always thought you were a fine judge of character.

I'll let the nerdy bit go for now :lol:

• Upvote 1