Cigerette filters- the number one single use plastic pollutant

Old_Johno

Heard a piece on radio 4 last night about cigerette filters being 99.99% ineffective. They even adjust the PH level of them to change the colour more to trick people into thinking they are ‘filtering’ but in reality they do practically nothing. 

They’re officially useless and the biggest single use plastic pollutant in the world. Time for a ban? 

15 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Heard a piece on radio 4 last night about cigerette filters being 99.99% ineffective. They even adjust the PH level of them to change the colour more to trick people into thinking they are ‘filtering’ but in reality they do practically nothing. 

They’re officially useless and the biggest single use plastic pollutant in the world. Time for a ban? 

I listened to that as well. Really fascinating. and shocking, but hardly surprising given the tobacco industry. Interesting that they are more dangerous than not having a filter.

They were talking also all the heavy metals and chemicals left in them which are bad for the environment.

The bloke did say you can not extract H2O from water though and I thought you actually could and that is where we can get Hydrogen power from. I can be corrected on all that though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Ashtray-Black-White-Pocket/dp/B0042J7FFS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=22BXMRSXKV5RB&keywords=cigarette+butt+disposal&qid=1582736440&sprefix=cigarrette+but%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-3

Its not hard to avoid littering the farm is it ? get yourselves something like this for a few quid .. dont know the price of a packet at the moment  ... 

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Ashtray-Black-White-Pocket/dp/B0042J7FFS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=22BXMRSXKV5RB&keywords=cigarette+butt+disposal&qid=1582736440&sprefix=cigarrette+but%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-3

Its not hard to avoid littering the farm is it ? get yourselves something like this for a few quid .. dont know the price of a packet at the moment  ... 

Child 1 doesn't have that item, but does have a personal, portable butt-bin and as a woke young man in his early twenties is very committed to such things. His smoking? Frustrating. His eco credentials? Admirable!

Ben

I always roach my roll ups.

I got fed up with pretty much throwing away half of my tobacco, as I was stubbing out about half way through a smoke as they get hot and inevitably leaky bits of baccy end up in your mouth.

Tried filters, but they also get too hot too quickly. Same problem (if not worse).

Generally smoke rollies right to near the end now. So, logically speaking, I halved my baccy bill.

Recently I've only been smoking half at a time and chipping them for later. Halved my baccy bill again right?

There's nothing quite like the smell of someone carrying a half smoked fag on them is there? It's like smoker smell turned up to eleven. :pardon:Sorry everyone. Especially the non smokers.

I do get funny looks from people who automatically associate roaches with weed, and automatically jump to the conclusion that I must, therefore, be a bit of a pot head.

I'm gonna have to look this up, I'm a rolly smoker who's interested. 

I used to love nothing more than flinging a cig butt away, I get now it's a bit of a shit move. The filters do make them nicer though and the bio degradable ones do not. I dunno what else to say really. It's killing me and the planet but I really fucking love it. I kick the habit as I drop in and out of employment (freelance) as its bloody expensive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kalifire said:

Just ban the bloody cigarettes, surely one of society's most obnoxious, outdated habits.

Feel like they are working towards this and I'm all for it. Will take many many years though. As someone who's never smoked and is slightly asthmatic there's nothing more annoying than being stood in a busy crowd like at glasto and someone lighting up directly next to you

For me the next steps should be banned when driving, public parks and high streets. Increase the minimum age of sale to 21 as well

Apologies to smokers in the thread who will likely disagree with my views

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Feel like they are working towards this and I'm all for it. Will take many many years though. As someone who's never smoked and is slightly asthmatic there's nothing more annoying than being stood in a busy crowd like at glasto and someone lighting up directly next to you

For me the next steps should be banned when driving, public parks and high streets. Increase the minimum age of sale to 21 as well

Apologies to smokers in the thread who will likely disagree with my views

Why banned while driving? As long as you aren't in a car with a smoker, then I'm just wondering how you would feel directly affected by people in cars all over the country smoking?

I'm a smoker. I guess that I'd be better off never having been one, but I do enjoy smoking and I can't get away from that fact. Will it end in premature death? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell, I guess. What I do know though is that nobody gets out alive in any case. That the inevitable will happen. I just like to enjoy that time as I see fit, rather than fret about how it could knock 10 years off my lifespan. Yes, I could get a nasty disease from it, but so could I get a nasty disease if I were a non smoker. 

The above said, I have every respect for non smokers. I'm nearly always the driver in a car going to x,y and z places, but would never dream of lighting up in the car without asking a non smoker if it bothered them. If it did, I wouldn't smoke. 

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

17 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

At Glasto you are never more than a few metres away from an oil drum bin so there's really no excuse to drop anything on the floor, especially cig ends that will get trodden in and lost.

18 hours ago, kalifire said:

Just ban the bloody cigarettes, surely one of society's most obnoxious, outdated habits.

Do you want to ban alcohol too or just the bad habit that you don't like?

1 minute ago, stuie said:

At Glasto you are never more than a few metres away from an oil drum bin so there's really no excuse to drop anything on the floor, especially cig ends that will get trodden in and lost.

Do you want to ban alcohol too or just the bad habit that you don't like?

totally but I guess during a headline set ... something like this might prove useful :) 

2 hours ago, GoonerRob said:

Would just push the market underground. It amazes me that people still think banning stuff works. (Hello illegal drugs market!)

This is a terrible argument, it’s not the same as drugs which have an effect. Smoking does absolutely nothing, loads of smokers quit when the smoking ban came in because they couldn’t be arsed to go outside. Even alcohol prohibition saw reduced rates of drinking of 40% at worst and 75% at its best. 

Im not even talking about banning smoking, just filters which do nothing apart from produce plastic waste.  

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Why banned while driving? As long as you aren't in a car with a smoker, then I'm just wondering how you would feel directly affected by people in cars all over the country smoking?

Always thought it to be a bit of a distraction. Admittedly I've never done it but I think holding a stick on fire would distract me from the road

If alcohol was only just introduced to the world today I read it would be illegal due to all the health and social issues surrounding it. No idea if that's true or not but I could see it, it's a lot worse for you than weed for example

6 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Always thought it to be a bit of a distraction. Admittedly I've never done it but I think holding a stick on fire would distract me from the road

If alcohol was only just introduced to the world today I read it would be illegal due to all the health and social issues surrounding it. No idea if that's true or not but I could see it, it's a lot worse for you than weed for example

Alcohol has a bigger socioeconomic impact on society than heroin 

1 hour ago, a6l6e6x said:

I'd say that if you are a proficient driver then having a ciggie on the go wouldn't make any difference to road safety. In all my years, I have never ever read of a case of someone getting injured / killed by a car because someone else had a ciggie on the go. It may have happened, but the figure has to be too insignificant small to register as a serious problem.