Cigerette filters- the number one single use plastic pollutant

Old_Johno

1 hour ago, a6l6e6x said:

Always thought it to be a bit of a distraction. Admittedly I've never done it but I think holding a stick on fire would distract me from the road

It really isn't ('wasn't' - I kicked the habit) a distraction whatsoever. Don't know why people think this.

Otherwise stressed out mothers with little kids winding them up in the back of a car would also be banned!

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Why banned while driving? As long as you aren't in a car with a smoker, then I'm just wondering how you would feel directly affected by people in cars all over the country smoking?

I mean, I'm not in favour of banning them at all (even though I can't stand them) but it does demonstrate how ingrained it still is when a suggestion of banning them while driving is considered ridiculous. So many different schemes and laws introduced to make driving safer yet "of course I should be allowed to have a stick that's on fire in my mouth while driving! It's health and safety gone mad!"

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Why banned while driving?

I have no problem with people smoking but I do have an issue with people just chucking fag ends on the ground, whether at a festival, in a town or anywhere. I wonder what the proportion of people smoking while driving are chucking their ends out the window? I don't really have an issue with people smoking while driving, but please keep your fag ends in the car and don't chuck them out the window!

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I mean, I'm not in favour of banning them at all (even though I can't stand them) but it does demonstrate how ingrained it still is when a suggestion of banning them while driving is considered ridiculous. So many different schemes and laws introduced to make driving safer yet "of course I should be allowed to have a stick that's on fire in my mouth while driving! It's health and safety gone mad!"

It's not exactly a firework is it?

2 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I have no problem with people smoking but I do have an issue with people just chucking fag ends on the ground, whether at a festival, in a town or anywhere. I wonder what the proportion of people smoking while driving are chucking their ends out the window? I don't really have an issue with people smoking while driving, but please keep your fag ends in the car and don't chuck them out the window!

Litter is litter.  People that litter anything are arseholes.

46 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

but it does demonstrate how ingrained it still is when a suggestion of banning them while driving is considered ridiculous. 

I'm really struggling to see where you are coming from with that statement. I didn't use the word ridiculous, and neither did I use any other words that would imply that. I stand by my statement that I also found it hard to see how it would affect a6l6e6x if he weren't actually in the vehicle where a smoker was smoking. Perhaps you would be so kind as to educate me on your thought processes that enabled you to make the conclusion that you have? 

51 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

So many different schemes and laws introduced to make driving safer yet "of course I should be allowed to have a stick that's on fire in my mouth while driving!

Why shouldn't I be allowed to have a stick that's on fire in my own vehicle? If you read my further post it implies that the newspapers aren't exactly riddled with cases whereby someone having a ciggie has caused damage, injury or death as a result of having that ciggie. 

54 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's health and safety gone mad!"

Your words, not mine.

26 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I don't really have an issue with people smoking while driving, but please keep your fag ends in the car and don't chuck them out the window!

I thoroughly agree with this. I was once in the car park at a place where I worked and was sitting with a new colleague in his car. I watched as he took out his ash tray from it's compartment, open his car door and tip the contents on to the car park surface. I knew in that one moment that he was scum. I mean, why did he even use his bloody ash tray in the first place, if that's what his end intention was to do with the contents!?

On 2/26/2020 at 4:18 PM, Giraffe Man said:

They are a real pain for litter picking crews, along with the bloody plastic packaging. They are everywhere on site.

Last years and years I remember the green police telling me once.. Glad I don't smoke lol

18 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Why shouldn't I be allowed to have a stick that's on fire in my own vehicle? If you read my further post it implies that the newspapers aren't exactly riddled with cases whereby someone having a ciggie has caused damage, injury or death as a result of having that ciggie. 

And why can't I used a phone? I'm perfectly capable of not being distracted by that either. Is what a load of other people will say.

Seems to me that if you can't hold a phone while driving, having something in your mouth that would need you to use your hands to pick up should you drop it (and quickly, because it's on fire) should also be against the rules.

(Although you can still be pulled over for it if you're judged as being distracted).

58 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

And why can't I used a phone? I'm perfectly capable of not being distracted by that either.

You may well be perfectly capable of not being distracted by using a mobile phone, but you can read in the newspapers all the time about those causing damage, injury, and death who haven't that capacity. That's why they banned the use of them, I'd say. I am now 54 years old and have never in my whole life read about someone causing damage, injury or death because they were smoking while driving. I guess that's probably why it isn't classed as illegal to do so. If drivers who smoke were causing such mayhem, do you think it wouldn't be against the law already?

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Seems to me that if you can't hold a phone while driving, having something in your mouth that would need you to use your hands to pick up should you drop it (and quickly, because it's on fire) should also be against the rules.

It seems to me that people who are incapable of driving, yet who have passed their test, should be banned from driving. However, they aren't going to get banned. We don't get everything we want in life. Ho hum!

23 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Looks like there is a link between smoking and increased chance of accident whilst driving... If you're male, anyway:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6445801/ 

I'll not pretend to understand what method they are using for that study, but know that it all sounds like a load of bollocks to me. I suspect that there are people out there who could use a method and statistics to inform us that the colour black was indeed white. The only 'fact' I know is that it's not illegal in this country, I've never heard of an incident where smoking at the wheel has been a safety issue, and that I think if there were a major problem, then it would already be banned. 

49 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'll not pretend to understand what method they are using for that study, but know that it all sounds like a load of bollocks to me. I suspect that there are people out there who could use a method and statistics to inform us that the colour black was indeed white. The only 'fact' I know is that it's not illegal in this country, I've never heard of an incident where smoking at the wheel has been a safety issue, and that I think if there were a major problem, then it would already be banned. 

No dog in this fight for me. I always like to try and add a bit of actual data to discussions, but why on earth did I think that would be helpful on a web forum... 🙄

6 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

No dog in this fight for me. 

I've never heard of that expression, so don't know what it means. I do know though that this is not a fight, but just two people with different views. 

9 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I always like to try and add a bit of actual data to discussions

I'd normally agree, but can't help but question the data, in this instance. I mean, they are concluding on a approx 25K people out of the nearly 100K people study, from what I can gather. Another interpretation would be to take that 25K and use it as a representative sample against the number of smoking drivers in the whole world. Did they choose this area for a particular reason, or was it generated at random by a computer. If not, did they check that the statistics for poor male drivers in this area is the same as another area - they did not. You could go on and on.

On 2/27/2020 at 12:02 AM, MrZigster said:

There's nothing quite like the smell of someone carrying a half smoked fag on them is there? It's like smoker smell turned up to eleven.

I agree. Old cigarette somehow smells worse than just smoked cigarette. I can only think of a fully contained & robust device to conceal the smell.

35077BDF-C630-43C1-91A5-2B5CC1B2E767.gif

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2020 at 1:25 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The only 'fact' I know is that it's not illegal in this country, I've never heard of an incident where smoking at the wheel has been a safety issue, and that I think if there were a major problem, then it would already be banned. 

It's been known for a long time that smoking causes cancer, including passive smoking, yet we only banned it in enclosed public spaces a decade ago.  The law isn't a good barometer for this. 

Anyway - here's some data that shows people have died because of it. Not as many as due to phone usage, but it happens. So now you can't say "I've never heard of it happening" any more because you definitely have! We're all learning!

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2013/04/04/287259.htm

I vape so going to have to buy some cheapo batteries off ebay from China but lugging it around at Sziget & Wilderness was a right pain, but I had places to charge at both. I might go cold turkey at the festival.

Friend got £40 fine from CPD for dropping a cig butt last year, I think she deserved it. She agreed but also said the only way to dispose of her end properly was a 10 minute walk away.

All my friends have quit smoking to vaping but when they did we enforced a no smoking policy in our cars after a friend put a fag burn in the roof lining.

Edited by Bisque

9 hours ago, DeanoL said:

It's been known for a long time that smoking causes cancer, including passive smoking, yet we only banned it in enclosed public spaces a decade ago.  The law isn't a good barometer for this. 

Anyway - here's some data that shows people have died because of it. Not as many as due to phone usage, but it happens. So now you can't say "I've never heard of it happening" any more because you definitely have! We're all learning!

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2013/04/04/287259.htm

'FARS data on distraction is based largely on police officers’ judgment at the time of the crash '

Well, there's scientific for you.