Showdown at Glastonbury. Goode versus Eavis

marathonsteve

Love that bit when 'The Filberts' are interrogated by a steward whilst they're crossing the railway line South into the green fields in a transit (with Dexter Fletcher (going out with Julia Swahala at the time), and that bloke from 'The Fifth Element') - "where are you going? Green Stage. There is no Green Stage. Uh, Beacon Stage..." So mid '90s level of organisation.

On 2/26/2020 at 3:26 PM, marathonsteve said:

Just finished watching this on You Tube not all in one go though

Just finished it myself (working from home today, don't judge me). It seems crazy to me that life was like that 30 years ago. 1990 seems like yesterday to me. Seems like night and day compared to life now. But then again, I've never been to a rural Somerset village when the festival isn't on.

What do the villagers get out of it now that they didn't back then?

3 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

Free ticket for the festival and i think a lot of them rent their houses out to industry types and camp in their gardens for a week :)

I would say most people buying a house there now would know the full implications of buying there and about the festival.

6 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

Just finished it myself (working from home today, don't judge me). It seems crazy to me that life was like that 30 years ago. 1990 seems like yesterday to me. Seems like night and day compared to life now. But then again, I've never been to a rural Somerset village when the festival isn't on.

£££

A lot of them charge the festival to use their land for car parking, access points and camping and others run their own camping operations.  Even the Goode woman's land is used now.

Free tickets.

plus this lot of local benefits and causes that the festival support

1 minute ago, stuie said:

£££

A lot of them charge the festival to use their land for car parking, access points and camping and others run their own camping operations.  Even the Goode woman's land is used now.

Free tickets.

plus this lot of local benefits and causes that the festival support

Sounds like they all cottoned on to the right way of thinking in the end then! Fair play to them for making bank out of it, I'd do the same.

Whatever became of the relationship between Michael and the Goode woman? Absolutely batshit crazy, but I kinda liked her.

3 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

Sounds like they all cottoned on to the right way of thinking in the end then! Fair play to them for making bank out of it, I'd do the same.

Whatever became of the relationship between Michael and the Goode woman? Absolutely batshit crazy, but I kinda liked her.

I think it simmered down after that 1992 escapade...I know she died in 2004 and her daughter now allows glamping on their land.

19 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

I have seen little coach tours of the site during that week before its officially open to the public. I often wondered was it the locals.

23 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

10 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

I have seen little coach tours of the site during that week before its officially open to the public. I often wondered was it the locals.

I think that's the other thing - they used to just guess what was going on inside the festival and come up with their own awful conclusions.  By them knowing what's going on inside the fence, people are much less intimidated by it.   The BBC coverage helps massively with the perception of the festival too - because of it, I can tell colleagues and customers I'm off to Glasto without them thinking I'm a drug crazed monster!

41 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

I believe, though can't remember why, that traditionally at least one of them is a local WI.

19 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Got a link to where I can get it?

Bought it many years ago no, probably about 2009 I think when the original release was revamped, rescored and recut. Would be resorting to eBay and such like today I guess if its out of mainstream circulation.

The HD one has the words "in Flashback" added to the title:

https://www.amazon.it/Glastonbury-flashback-Vari-Glastonbury-Movie-Flashback/dp/B008BGZAPU

The extended boxset is this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glastonbury-Movie-Special-3DVD-Boxset/dp/B000PTYQ5Q

I have the original one too but can't find that.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:06 PM, Pinhead said:

Yeah '94 was my first too. Yeah it does 'linger' here and there at the taps doesnt it. Also shows almost nothing of the night time, though of course there wasnt so much then beyond back at the campsites.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Watching today as I am off sick from work.

Really enjoying it, I am assuming the giant white cross she put up is no longer there.

It's still there, standing over Tangerine Fields camping.

3 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

Watching today as I am off sick from work.

Really enjoying it, I am assuming the giant white cross she put up is no longer there.

I watched it last week as I hadn't seen it in years, really interesting insight and almost feels like it was another festival!