Showdown at Glastonbury. Goode versus Eavis

marathonsteve

4 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The part where Michael is remembering Jean and getting upset is a real choker. 

I think I have a copy of that doc somewhere. 

Glastopia: Glastonbury After Hours is my favourite documentary. I watch it a few times a year but particularly the weekend before the festival, just to turn the excitement up to 11. I have a copy of this one too. 

Please upload both if you have them!

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Thanks. In what seems like a dim and distant life ago, i did this for a living.

Unfortunately, it usually resulted in weaponry being dropped on people's heads a short time later..

:ph34r:

I do hope you asked strangers on the internet to confirm that, what you thought you were looking at was, indeed, what you were looking at, before dropping said weaponry on peoples heads.

In an, "Is that an army or a wedding convoy?", type of way.

The showdown series is very good and sympathetic to both villagers and the festival I felt. Regardless of our love of the festival we'd be completely myopic to not recognise that some antisocial and inconsiderate behaviour on the part of festival goers did indeed cause some distress to locals. That said Michael (displaying the patience of a saint)  clearly took everything on board and was always there to hear and respond to concerns.

The festival is a different beast to what it was when that series was filmed and thanks to those changes the festival is still here. A highly recommended watch for everyone particularly people like myself who have only visited the festival in the post superfence era.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

The showdown series is very good and sympathetic to both villagers and the festival I felt. Regardless of our love of the festival we'd be completely myopic to not recognise that some antisocial and inconsiderate behaviour on the part of festival goers did indeed cause some distress to locals. That said Michael (displaying the patience of a saint)  clearly took everything on board and was always there to hear and respond to concerns.

The festival is a different beast to what it was when that series was filmed and thanks to those changes the festival is still here. A highly recommended watch for everyone particularly people like myself who have only visited the festival in the post superfence era.

I had several groups of friends going from the mid 90's onwards and I still kick myself that I didn't get involved until 2004 and post-super fence. Most of them agreed that the anarchy of the late 90's/2000 would have been right up my street.

15 hours ago, Pinhead said:

It is still there I believe (or at least last time I checked), maintained now by her daughter is it, who is a bit less hostile to the festi.

They make money from the festival, so I guess that's why they are less hostile these days.

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I had several groups of friends going from the mid 90's onwards and I still kick myself that I didn't get involved until 2004 and post-super fence. Most of them agreed that the anarchy of the late 90's/2000 would have been right up my street.

Me too. I'm perennially kicking myself that I didn't get involved earlier.

12 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I definitely have the Glastopia one but it's also available here if you wanna watch it (it's tremendous) 

Lemme get back to you on the Glastonbury Man one.

Thank you

I moved to Sky Q recently and whilst I still have my old box with recordings on it I can't watch them and it included this so cheers for posting.

17 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

The Julian Templeton Film is Brilliant

There are 2 Julien Temple Glastonbury films, Glastopia is one, this is the other - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_(film) - not sure if it's online, I have it on DVD - you can probably pick a copy up easily and cheaply.

Edited by Johnnyseven

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

There are 2 Julien Temple Glastonbury films, Glastopia is one, this is the other - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_(film) - not sure if it's online, I have it on DVD - you can probably pick a copy up easily and cheaply.

I must have the second one then. I picked it up on line

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

My personal favourite is this, filmed in 1993 and released several times since.   The DVD is loaded with extras including footage of the old market raves.  It captures the vibe of the place better than any other film of the festival I've seen. 

Yes I have the extended and HD version as well - like 24 hours long or something if you watch it all back to back. Love it. Will never be like that again but you can hear faint echos of it even today.

9 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

Is Showdown the one who has the old gezzer on it who threatens to get his Tommy Gun out on the 'lot of 'em'?

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Yes I have the extended and HD version as well - like 24 hours long or something if you watch it all back to back. Love it. Will never be like that again but you can hear faint echos of it even today.

Yeah agreed.  I like that its focus isn't bands on stages - they are there of course - but people making their own way through the festival.  '94 was my first festival, and I reckon after '95 (I wasn't there) things changed quite a lot, but like you say you can still hear the echoes.

Although, as mentioned on the other thread, some aspects of it haven't aged too well.  It does contain a bit too much footage of women getting dressed.