Ticket touts.

semmtexx

I had a couple of spare tickets to the Darts World Championships at the Ally Pally this year, stuck a post on Facebook on the morning and got a few messages with people saying they would give me a lot more than face value, I was only asking for face value.  I ended up selling them to a couple of lads who, when I met them at the venue, I insisted on just the face value price, the lad shoved the money in my hand and said "get you and your mates a few drinks"  he had given an extra £20 for each ticket.  When he first got in contact he was offering double the price of the ticket.  I could've easily made a decent bit of money but after an experience where I sold a couple of tickets on ebay (back in the day) for silly money to find 2 young girls sat next to us at the gig I felt so guilty and promised myself to only sell for face value in future.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I actually gave my own Glastonbury ticket to a stranger once - for free! ie I never even charged him face value. I just didn't want the ticket to go to waste, as I could no longer attend. 

Did the same with a gig ticket of late didnt want it to go to waste :) 

I literally couldn't give a spare Oasis ticket away for Rose Bowl Southampton gig 2005; eventually managed to haggle a tout outside the venue to buy it for a massive £5; sign of the times 🤣

They were ace by the way 😎

4 minutes ago, oneeye said:

I literally couldn't give a spare Oasis ticket away

Personally, I'm not surprised. I actually went to see them once, in Birmingham, at the height of their craze. It's odd really, because the only reason that I got a ticket was because one of my brothers mate's was a ticketing clerk at the box office. To cut a long story short, he had a list of about 20 names to input, the minute the system went live. So, to any 'manager' or observer, he was fielding calls requesting him to do ticket sales. He had the card details too to use, and ploughed through them, before then going on to do his actual job of taking calls for such ticket purchase requests.

40 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Personally, I'm not surprised. I actually went to see them once, in Birmingham, at the height of their craze. It's odd really, because the only reason that I got a ticket was because one of my brothers mate's was a ticketing clerk at the box office. To cut a long story short, he had a list of about 20 names to input, the minute the system went live. So, to any 'manager' or observer, he was fielding calls requesting him to do ticket sales. He had the card details too to use, and ploughed through them, before then going on to do his actual job of taking calls for such ticket purchase requests.

I had a similar story. I worked many years ago in a Virgin Megastore which had a ticket desk in it. Oasis when they played Knebworth also played Loch Lomond that same summer. I was good friends with the guy who ran the ticket desk so he put a couple aside for me. In the end I didn't go to the gig as I was abroad so sold them to a mate for face value (he may have bought me a beer to say thanks)

• 7 months later...

Great news for Ireland. Well done to all involved in getting this through parliament (The Dail?) When something like this happens it is the result of grass-roots campaigners and a few MPs adopting the cause, plus support from the industry. I live in hope that similar can be achieved here in the UK.

I believe the first step would be making it illegal for companies like Viagogo, Stubhub to have any ties to the original ticket sellers. The idea that ticketbastard owned GetMeIn was disgraceful. How could anyone imagine that fairness would prevail when both companies would profit so easily from exploiting their punters.

Long live Twickets and Scarlet Mist!

• Upvote 2