Ticket touts.

semmtexx

OK before anyone takes the piss this post isn't about Ed Sheeran 🤣

The way I read this story is it gives a green light to touting.  

Ed Sheeran ticket touts jailed in 'landmark' Leeds case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-51618744

Over 5 years they resold tickets for more than 9.3 MILLION than they were worth. They got 4 years and 2.5 years. So assuming good behaviour they'll be out at 2 years and 1 or so. Split between the two of them (OK I accept not all profit but anyhow) 

5 million quid each!!!

I'd do 2 years in prison for 5 million quid!

Even if you are cautious in assessment that's 7 years work (2 years in jail and over 5 years) for about 5 million! 

Who here earns almost a million quid a year!!!!

Thank goodness for Glastonburys approach with photos, refunds and no resales. 

8 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

OK before anyone takes the piss this post isn't about Ed Sheeran 🤣

The way I read this story is it gives a green light to touting.  

Ed Sheeran ticket touts jailed in 'landmark' Leeds case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-51618744

Over 5 years they resold tickets for more than 9.3 MILLION than they were worth. They got 4 years and 2.5 years. So assuming good behaviour they'll be out at 2 years and 1 or so. Split between the two of them (OK I accept not all profit but anyhow) 

5 million quid each!!!

Even if you are cautious in assessment that's 7 years work (2 years in jail and over 5 years) for about 5 million! 

Thank goodness for Glastonburys approach with photos, refunds and no resales. 

Without reading the article, surely all that money would be confiscated.

For all the frustrations we have about the frenzy and anxiety when the Glastonbury ticket sale comes round it’s the fairest and most secure way of doing it, especially the security and prevention of touting.

I would happily register my photo with, for example, ticketmaster and pay a few quid more for other gig tickets and have the photo printed on them. Probably not feasible but every sold out gig I go to at the hydro in Glasgow there are touts outside flogging plenty tickets at inflated prices 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

For all the frustrations we have about the frenzy and anxiety when the Glastonbury ticket sale comes round it’s the fairest and most secure way of doing it, especially the security and prevention of touting.

I would happily register my photo with, for example, ticketmaster and pay a few quid more for other gig tickets and have the photo printed on them. Probably not feasible but every sold out gig I go to at the hydro in Glasgow there are touts outside flogging plenty tickets at inflated prices 

I wouldn’t want to go down that route because I don’t think reselling of tickets should be banned outright. We’ve all been in situations where we’ve had tickets for something but for whatever reason haven’t been able to go. The reselling of tickets at face value is absolutely fine in my book.

It’s the unscrupulous bastards who hoover up large quantities of tickets just to whack them on Viagogo for a huge profit who need to be legislated against. Those c**ts can fuck right off.

15 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

They spent £4 million on tickets.  interestingly  it was how they got the tickets and not for selling tickets is what they were found guilty off. 

Ah ok. Fair play I didn’t really read the article! Still 5 million between two over 7 years. Still tasty. Wonder if they do have to pay it back?

4 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Touting football tickets is illegal but it still goes on. 

Didn't know this. Saw liverpool ones in the thousands for towards the end of the season

Selling tickets on for FV is fine, twickets is great and I've got some through twitter as well for FV. 

Although they made an absolute fortune out of touting, I can't imagine that jailing two guys will make the slightest bit of difference. For me, the main issue is those scumbag resale sites and the only reason I can think that the likes of Viagogo haven't been shut down is because many of the ticket suppliers must have a vested interest in them. We're all fed up of the same story when popular events sell out within minutes only to find them on resale sites immediately (and sometimes before they actually go on sale) but nobody seems to want to make a stand. Even the punters seem to be so desperate for that live experience, no matter the cost. Resale sites wouldn't supply if the demand wasn't there. It's sad. 

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Although they made an absolute fortune out of touting, I can't imagine that jailing two guys will make the slightest bit of difference. For me, the main issue is those scumbag resale sites and the only reason I can think that the likes of Viagogo haven't been shut down is because many of the ticket suppliers must have a vested interest in them. We're all fed up of the same story when popular events sell out within minutes only to find them on resale sites immediately (and sometimes before they actually go on sale) but nobody seems to want to make a stand. Even the punters seem to be so desperate for that live experience, no matter the cost. Resale sites wouldn't supply if the demand wasn't there. It's sad. 

CBF7C018-C541-4B13-ACCE-0A43627C37C7.jpeg

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, semmtexx said:

5 million quid each!!!

They won't get to keep the money they made by committing a crime.   Unless they've managed to successfully hide some of it.   The Proceeds of Crime Act gives the CPS permission to confiscate money, property and other assets. 

As they've got details of the amount they made, they must be able to see it in bank accounts so unless they've spent it or withdrawn the cash and buried it they'll be paying it back.

If they don't cooperate with the authorities then they can have time added on to their sentences.

You can see why these two blokes did it, as it's easy money, and beats 'working' for a living. However, what I don't get is why they carried on doing it for 5 years. Surely the best plan of action would be to make a million or so each, and then kind of 'disappear' off radar. Maybe even set up the same thing again under aliases with different company names and addresses, and forensically wipe clean all computers used previously, so that they could be used again ie. leave absolutely no trail to the previous successful involvement. Now they'll have all the money that they 'earned' taken off them in a Proceeds of Crime order, so it'll have all been done for nothing.

I have bought and sold loads on twickets, I think it's fantastic. 

As for Viagogo, I am ashamed to say I have once bought from them (never sold). It was Anthony Joshua tickets but they were only £10 over face value so I wasn't too bothered.

Out of curiosity this weekend I went online about an hour before Wales v France and there were tickets available for £30, which they had obviously lowered in an attempt to sell at the last minute. They were £95 fv so had probably been listed at something ridiculous like £300 on there previously.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

They won't get to keep the money they made by committing a crime.   Unless they've managed to successfully hide some of it.   The Proceeds of Crime Act gives the CPS permission to confiscate money, property and other assets. 

As they've got details of the amount they made, they must be able to see it in bank accounts so unless they've spent it or withdrawn the cash and buried it they'll be paying it back.

If they don't cooperate with the authorities then they can have time added on to their sentences.

So I have heard of this act but assumed (wrongly?) as it wasn't mentioned that they haven't had the cash seized. Perhaps they have to go back to court for this? 

I have used Viagogo. This was before twickets. I sold some tickets for far less than fv on there.

I have also bought quite a lot off there and paid over the odds quite a few times. I am more ashamed to say that I bought Morrissey tickets for over fv on there.

I bought a ticket for New Orders gig in Berlin last October off there. One thing with Viagogo is that your purchase is safe. I had a few people try to shark me on Facebook.

I'm not opposed to the reselling of the tickets, we've probably all had need of such a service once or twice. It's better than losing all the cash and it's better than a fan missing out. What I'm not so keen on is the massive scalping of fans. I've sold a few tickets in (for shows I couldn't make) and have kept it at cost plus postage. Perhaps more fool me. 

Scarlet mist is a not for profit site. 

http://scarletmist.com

It's run by (or at least was) a fellow efester. 

16 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

So I have heard of this act but assumed (wrongly?) as it wasn't mentioned that they haven't had the cash seized. Perhaps they have to go back to court for this? 

Yes - there is a proceeds of crime hearing after the sentencing.   The outcome of this can affect how much of the sentence is served.

Many’s the time I’ve bought tickets off touts (old-skool type) outside venues far below face value just before showtime when they’re just trying to offload what they’ve got left. 
Most awkward encounter was outside Earls Court. I was in London on business and fancied going to a gig and the only thing on of any interest was Rod Stewart there. I’m not a huge fan, but had never seen him and thought I’d go if I could get a ticket for a decent price. Anyway, I negotiated a price with a tout and just before I could hand over the money, some undercover rozzers came over and arrested him. They took the ticket off him and gave it to me and told me to go in and enjoy myself. I did go, but felt rather awkward having had the freebie whilst the tout had a night in a cell..