Mad idea re: Pyramid Stage....

sequenci

42 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

This makes me sad. Would of been an amazing evening on that stage. 

Billie wasn’t billed for other stage at the time that the Prodigy were booked.

It would have been

The Prodigy // Christine & The Queens // Dave // Loyle Carner.

I dunno what they would have done with Billie if there wasn’t a reshuffle. I reckon they might have stuck her on pyramid before Diana Ross.

Might be wrong on this, but I don't think the extended field is down to anything we don't know yet.

I think between the slight expansion of the license numbers, the fact they have a Beatle and the (probably) biggest pop star in the  world right now headlining, and acts like Aerosmith on the under card it's just a small, possibly precautionary move to head off any overcrowding issues.

The field has been uncomfortably busy at times around the edges but thats down to crowd behaviour more than anything. Standing on the edge of the field so there's no room for others to move in when there's space plus add in chairs/blankets. I think they should do an announcement in-between each set especially on a Sunday to make better use of the field than extend it 

2 minutes ago, august1 said:

The field has been uncomfortably busy at times around the edges but thats down to crowd behaviour more than anything. Standing on the edge of the field so there's no room for others to move in when there's space plus add in chairs/blankets. I think they should do an announcement in-between each set especially on a Sunday to make better use of the field than extend it 

Its one of the main things that grind my gears at festivals and larger gigs. People will walk up, see that the crowd is busy and go 'this is fine' and stop, without knowing there's loads of small gaps in front of them, rinse repeat. The amount of times I've pushed through the pyramid crowd with a lot of people grumbling at me to find a open space with 2 families having a picnic mid gig and then lots of small little spaces around them of people with their back to the stages. The pockets in crowds are so weird.

I'm pretty certain that this whole extending the field thing is going to turn out to be largely irrelevant anyway. Maybe they shift the boundary half a metre further into Row Mead. Maybe. Most likely nobody even notices much. Probably they would have done it at some point anyway.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hmmmm. The way it is now favours people who know it's quieter further forward if you can just squeeze through the crowds at the perimeter.

Agreed but a few times recently I have had people physically stop going past them on the edge. Despite explaining there is space further in or someone is waiting for me. I can understand it's annoying to become 'the path' in. I could do without the hassle.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

On the other hand, if you know the lie of the land you can take advantage.

This is true but I've obviously got my timings wrong a few times and can sometimes need a decent churn after an act. 

Can't remember who was on before Kanye but literally noone seemed to leave.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm pretty certain that this whole extending the field thing is going to turn out to be largely irrelevant anyway. Maybe they shift the boundary half a metre further into Row Mead. Maybe. Most likely nobody even notices much. Probably they would have done it at some point anyway.

I think its just to help with congestion around the legends acts, the left hand side of the pyramid stage when Kylie was on was rammed. But again this is due to people refusing to move forward. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

On the other hand, if you know the lie of the land you can take advantage.

Totally and its actually why I've seen more headliners by myself than I have with my group, my group (apart from 1 other guy) refuses to move past people and stop at the edges because they don't want to walk past people. A few of them left the Chemical Brothers last year as it was so congested towards the back near the speakers that they refused to go further in where 'it'll be more busy'. 

5 minutes ago, august1 said:

Agreed but a few times recently I have had people physically stop going past them on the edge. Despite explaining there is space further in or someone is waiting for me. I can understand it's annoying to become 'the path' in. I could do without the hassle.

Yup I've had it said to me multiple times that 'you can't go past, we've been here for 10 minutes, thats how it works' or to some extent. 
Despite me clearly seeing open gaps in the crowd 10-15 rows forward. 

On 2/22/2020 at 1:08 PM, waltere said:

Might be wrong on this, but I don't think the extended field is down to anything we don't know yet.

I think between the slight expansion of the license numbers, the fact they have a Beatle and the (probably) biggest pop star in the  world right now headlining, and acts like Aerosmith on the under card it's just a small, possibly precautionary move to head off any overcrowding issues.

I don't suppose anyone knows about volume issues and the Pyramid stage, do they?!! I've been fretting a bit, now I'm a bit older. It's occurred to me lately, that I should start to use ear plugs a bit more ritualistically.  Maybe use them at set times and so on; to make sure I don't, not, use them, at all.

Does anyone know if the Pyramid stage gets louder at some time in the evening? Or anything like that?! It would be handy to know such stuff. I was thinking of starting a new thread. But it's a health and safety issue, so I thought I'd try bringing it up here.😷👩‍🚀

On 2/22/2020 at 4:44 PM, crazyfool1 said:

Walk to the front easily kind of empty ? I’ve  pretty well always done the Sunday legend slot 

5 rows from the front gate kind of empty, we missed the first 1 or 2 songs and just went straight through , but was still a very good crowd (arguably better seeing as everyone who was there was well up for it)

On 2/20/2020 at 9:16 PM, sequenci said:

Evening all!

This Pyramid Stage field malarkey has had me thinking, given it’s the 50th and all. I know it’s nigh on impossible, but what if there were two Pyramid stages built - one next to the other. This way you could, theoretically at least, have more bands due to easier changeovers etc - though I appreciate it’s a zany idea and highly unlikely. It ain’t Download, after all! 

This is what they do at Primavera Porto. There are two stages next to each other and you can just shuffle from side to side (there are other stages too).

Bilbao BBK is like this as well (though the stages aren't physically next to each other there). They don't really seem to bother with clashes that much at European festivals! You can fit in a lot of bands like this. At Bilbao, by walking back and forth I saw Chvches, M83, New Order, Arcade Fire and Hot Chip all 'back-to-back' in a row.