On site transport for kids

wilby-wilbert

We will be taking a 3 month old baby to the festival this year and 2 kids aged 6 and 7. I think the baby might be easy enough to get around the site and we will probably be using a combo of a sling and an a decent all terrain buggy which will require careful selection. I'm more worried about the 6 and 7 year old as they won't be so easy to lift and carry. I have seen loads take those sort of wagons with them which seem good but I'm guessing are more suitable for smaller children? I have also seen loads of these lying broken along pathways down the years so worry about quality. We have also been looking at a double chariot such as the ones from Thule although these can get very expensive. I think the main thing would be that the two older kids will need to get into something for a sleep without having to go back to the camper van all the time in the evening, the thing needs to be big enough and has to not fall apart. Has anyone had experience with 2 kids of that age at Glastonbury and do you have any recommendations or advice on this?

Much appreciated in advance!

pneumatic tyres .... and good ground clearance would be 2 fundamental necessary features for me .... along with making sure its well lit at night ... use something like el wire could give it a spectacular tron like effect and help the inebriated that may struggle to spot it in the dark ...   if not led strips or fairy lights would work equally well 

I most definitely recommend some form of transport with kids that age. I've been with my two most Glastonburys for the last 14 years and brought a bike trailer with us up until they were about 7 and 9. Not only do they need to nap, most kids are not prepared to walk the vast distances required. They get tired and floppy if it is very hot. Plus the rain cover protects them when it is raining. Also, with kids you need to carry a lot of stuff so even if they are not riding in it, you can use it to wheelbarrow around all the endless gubbins you need with you for an entire day around the festival site.

It is also very handy for getting on and off site - pile it high with all your things.

We only had a cheap one that was less than £100 on ebay and it lasted us a few years. You can also use it as a bike trailer when you are not at Glasto too! (once you've cleaned all the mud off)

I can't recommend it strongly enough - and i promise, i don't sell them for a living. We missed it when our kids were too old to use it anymore.

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2020 at 1:23 PM, MoreTeaVicar? said:

I most definitely recommend some form of transport with kids that age. I've been with my two most Glastonburys for the last 14 years and brought a bike trailer with us up until they were about 7 and 9. Not only do they need to nap, most kids are not prepared to walk the vast distances required. They get tired and floppy if it is very hot. Plus the rain cover protects them when it is raining. Also, with kids you need to carry a lot of stuff so even if they are not riding in it, you can use it to wheelbarrow around all the endless gubbins you need with you for an entire day around the festival site.

It is also very handy for getting on and off site - pile it high with all your things.

We only had a cheap one that was less than £100 on ebay and it lasted us a few years. You can also use it as a bike trailer when you are not at Glasto too! (once you've cleaned all the mud off)

I can't recommend it strongly enough - and i promise, i don't sell them for a living. We missed it when our kids were too old to use it anymore.

Thanks so much for your detailed answer. Was it similar to the one linked above? My concern was that it may not be big enough for kids aged 7ish but I am pretty sure we are going to need something for them. 

On 2/17/2020 at 12:42 PM, dondo said:

When our 2 were younger we used a bike trailer like the one below which was great. Also handy for transportation of stuff to and from car- still have it for that reason. 

image.jpg.9a9509dadc8e74ea9266ae1f72820949.jpg

Thanks Dondo. This is precisely the type of thing i was looking at. As I said I was just concerned about size. 

On 2/16/2020 at 6:00 PM, wilby-wilbert said:

We will be taking a 3 month old baby to the festival this year and 2 kids aged 6 and 7. I think the baby might be easy enough to get around the site and we will probably be using a combo of a sling and an a decent all terrain buggy which will require careful selection. I'm more worried about the 6 and 7 year old as they won't be so easy to lift and carry. I have seen loads take those sort of wagons with them which seem good but I'm guessing are more suitable for smaller children? I have also seen loads of these lying broken along pathways down the years so worry about quality. We have also been looking at a double chariot such as the ones from Thule although these can get very expensive. I think the main thing would be that the two older kids will need to get into something for a sleep without having to go back to the camper van all the time in the evening, the thing needs to be big enough and has to not fall apart. Has anyone had experience with 2 kids of that age at Glastonbury and do you have any recommendations or advice on this?

Much appreciated in advance!

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and people standing, possible text that says 'CROOZER'

I cannot recommend the bike trailer we took last year enough. Admittedly our daughter is only 2 but it was brilliant over the farm terrain and super comfortable to push around - I definitely think this style is easier than the pull along trailers. Add some old pillows and blankets for snoozing, and we got some battery fairy lights from Amazon to make it more visible when she was sleeping in it at night. You could always go and try one out in Halfords or similar to check your kids fit in OK, then head onto eBay for a bargain? I think we will carry on taking ours forever - it had loads of room in the back for food and beers and was so helpful on the journey in too - carried our massive tent and booze with no complaints. The only recommendation I would make would be to go for one with a little brake on the handle if you can - it would make going down steeper hill a bit less exciting! Also buy and carry with you a puncture repair kit, inner tube and pump.....hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, shutthefrontdoor said:

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and people standing, possible text that says 'CROOZER'

I cannot recommend the bike trailer we took last year enough. Admittedly our daughter is only 2 but it was brilliant over the farm terrain and super comfortable to push around - I definitely think this style is easier than the pull along trailers. Add some old pillows and blankets for snoozing, and we got some battery fairy lights from Amazon to make it more visible when she was sleeping in it at night. You could always go and try one out in Halfords or similar to check your kids fit in OK, then head onto eBay for a bargain? I think we will carry on taking ours forever - it had loads of room in the back for food and beers and was so helpful on the journey in too - carried our massive tent and booze with no complaints. The only recommendation I would make would be to go for one with a little brake on the handle if you can - it would make going down steeper hill a bit less exciting! Also buy and carry with you a puncture repair kit, inner tube and pump.....hope this helps.

I am looking for one to. I saw these croozers but they range from £200-£500 :o unless i am looking in the wrong place. 

On 2/20/2020 at 8:58 PM, tomfestival_11 said:

I am looking for one to. I saw these croozers but they range from £200-£500 :o unless i am looking in the wrong place. 

This model is very expensive. I manage to pick one up second hand on eBay for £50. Needs a new rain cover but we can make one of them. We are coming with 6 month old and a 2 year old so will have loads of space with this 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 6:24 PM, wilby-wilbert said:

Thanks Dondo. This is precisely the type of thing i was looking at. As I said I was just concerned about size. 

We fitted our 5 and a half year old (who was tall for her age) and 3 and a half year old in no problem at all and with space to spare.  

Edited by dondo