Ian Brown

O'Doyle Rules

It's a tricky one whether I'd go to see him

Plus - great back catalogue, with solo material that suits his voice better than the Roses songs, so less likely to be a vocal disaster. He's an undeniably charismatic stage presence.

Minus - Terrible live vocals, even taking the above into account. Last solo album was total gash.

He headlined the Other 15 years ago and that wasn’t long after he started incorporating Roses tunes into his solo sets. Remember it going absolutely mental when he opened with Adored.

He is a tough one to place nowadays, it kind of depends if he’s playing Roses stuff or is sticking to his solo material. JP headliner as a more “indie” alternative to Swift and PSB doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Edited by Hugh Jass

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

He headlined the Other 15 years ago and that wasn’t long after he started incorporating Roses tunes into his solo sets. Remember it going absolutely mental when he opened with Adored.

He is a tough one to place nowadays, it kind of depends if he’s playing Roses stuff or is sticking to his solo material. JP headliner as a more “indie” alternative to Swift and PSB doesn’t seem unreasonable.

I am going to go NHBD festival just in case he plays Glasto and is up against PSB.

I do like some of his solo stuff. New album was shite overall though.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That last album was bloody awful!

I don't know whether it was expectation that made me hate it so much. By far the worst of his solo efforts.  Take Humanz - I was so disappointed with that album because I enjoyed the other Gorillaz albums so much, but recently gave it another listen and didn't mind it. No disappointment at all because I already knew it was no Demon Days.

Maybe his last album isn't all that bad if it's not being compared to Stellify? Or maybe it actually is really shit? 😆

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't know whether it was expectation that made me hate it so much. By far the worst of his solo efforts.  Take Humanz - I was so disappointed with that album because I enjoyed the other Gorillaz albums so much, but recently gave it another listen and didn't mind it. No disappointment at all because I already knew it was no Demon Days.

Maybe his last album isn't all that bad if it's not being compared to Stellify? Or maybe it actually is really shit? 😆

I think it’s just shit.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Was there. Sound from the Other PA that night was spectacular.

Yeah, the last album was poor but there's no denying he's got some great numbers in the back catalogue. Arguably more than the Roses, albeit not as iconic, hit-for-hit. 

The age-old issue with King Monkey has always been the live vocals but in fairness I can't ever hear his voice above my own! 

Would be tempted to see him, it's been a long time since saw him do solo stuff. Whatever year The World Is Yours came out is the last time I saw him, the old o2 Academy in Birmingham (before it moved). That 05 set on the Other was great. 
The new album is awful though.

7 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Anyone remember John Squire - during the Seahorses days - wearing Levi’s still with the massive brown cardboard thing on they used to have on the back pocket when still hanging up in the shop? 

I seen him playing the guitar behind his head at the Manchester academy. Don't think he would have got away with that in the Roses.