Arriving early (Oxfam volunteering)

Simsy

Hi all. I managed to bag an Oxfam spot (still trying to get one for the OH) and I'm trying to decide how to get there from Portsmouth.

I don't drive, so was thinking train to Castle Cary. Does the shuttle bus run on the Mon/Tue? And would I have to find my way from gate A to the oxfield or are there transfers to gate B for volunteers?

Would I be better off getting the train to Bristol and using Oxfam's bus? This would probably be slower and more expensive, but should take me to where I need to go.

Also, I've said I'm available for early shifts. I know it's unlikely I'll get them, but if I do is there a way to get there on Sat/Sun from Castle Cary or Bristol? The Oxfam busses look like they're only on Mon/Tue. When do you find out if you've got earlies?

Thanks.

The staff shuttle from Castle Cary does run on the Monday + Tuesday, albeit at a much lower frequency than later in the week.

However as you say, you'd need to find your way from Gate A to camp. You would need to do this without a wristband, so the most direct route - going through the site - is ruled out and it's definitely not recommended to traverse then narrow public roads around the outside of the site.

Getting a taxi from Castle Cary may be the better option for you? As you're arriving prior to the public days the restrictions won't be in full effect so it should be possible to find somewhere to pull over and unload. You wouldn't find out if you got early shifts until approx 2 weeks before the festival.

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Thanks @incident. It's my 13th Glasto but 1st time volunteering so I'll probably spend the next few months asking stupid questions!

I’ll join you in asking stupid questions I’m sure. My first time volunteering as well. 

first one is... when will we receive more info from oxfam. Ie arrives times, locations etc 

Unless you have your own transport, earlies aren't that easy - you'll only find out a couple of weeks before, though I suppose you could get a cab from Castle Cary.

The Oxfam bus from Temple Meads is a good shout, but be aware that on the way out Monday, you will almost certainly be delayed, so a flexible ticket is a must.

It’s inestimably easier if you drive, it really is! Parking is free for volunteers, you can take more stuff than is practical and leave it in your car, it’s great to store wet/dusty stuff, and you can arrive when you like and head off when you fancy too. If you don’t fancy buying a car then in all honesty I’d hire one for a week, it’s really easy. The car park is no more than a five min walk from where your tent will be, and that’s at the absolute maximum. It’ll likely be 2 mins. 

it’s a very decent drive from Pompey, down the m27 past Southampton and then straight up the a36, more or less. Not much more than two leisurely hours. (I’m in east Sussex so two further hours down the coast) 

2 hours ago, SecretFish said:

as i'll be arriving on Monday and presuming i'm not on shift will I be able to access other areas of the festival such as the east campervan fields  (on tues)

Yes - you can go all over the site on Monday and Tuesday.

Quickest way to get to East CV is go from Oxfam campsite into Gate B and out of Gate C.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:56 PM, stuie said:

Yes - you can go all over the site on Monday and Tuesday.

Quickest way to get to East CV is go from Oxfam campsite into Gate B and out of Gate C.

Quicker option 1 - risk the wrath of the Blue Gate staff, and try to stroll along the blue campers route from the junction at Windinglake Farm.  Bonus points for using the 'wrong' exit from the Oxfield.

Quicker option 2 - wander down Cockmill lane (it's the last road before the gate), and avoid going in and out of site. 

1 hour ago, jfaragher said:

Quicker option 1 - risk the wrath of the Blue Gate staff, and try to stroll along the blue campers route from the junction at Windinglake Farm.  Bonus points for using the 'wrong' exit from the Oxfield.

Quicker option 2 - wander down Cockmill lane (it's the last road before the gate), and avoid going in and out of site. 

Shall I take a twix?

sounds like I have some options anyway!

• Upvote 1