If I can't go to Glasto - what's IOW like?

Beerqueen

51 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Is that Tribfest? I'm sure that's the one himselfs family go to. They rave about it. Cheesy but lots of fun. 

No it's the Big Tribute in Aberystwyth though it's probably very similar - but with more Welsh people!  Edit - just had a look at Tribfest and I actually think the Aber one looks better to me - cheaper and more bands!  And did I mention that they actually have a beer festival on site as well?  At £4 a pint I think.  Tell your other halves' family to get over to Aber!

35 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just a thought BQ ... can any of the dressing up be usefull in a certain campaigning role ? 

Hmm, now there's a thought..... not sure what I'm going to do yet but I'll certainly file that away for later consideration.

Edited by Beerqueen

7 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

No it's the Big Tribute in Aberystwyth though it's probably very similar - but with more Welsh people!

Hmm, now there's a thought..... not sure what I'm going to do yet but I'll certainly file that away for later consideration.

I’d be using my hat if I were applying but sadly a second fest is a bit beyond me 

I've done IOW 3 times and it is pretty much as described here. It's pleasant, people are nice and not edgy at all, so very family friendly, but also kind of mainstream and corporate. Triith is, if hte line-up is good its' worthwhile. I saw the Stones, Muse, Springsteen, Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, Killers and Depeche Mode. I'll probably give it a miss this year as the line-up is very weak in my opinion, although I have family on the island who are going so if I'm free, and the weather looks nice I might make the trip.

But, it's no alternative to Glastonbury. And if that's what you're after, I'd recommend one fo the European fests. I've done Mad Cool and Werchter. They don't match up to Glastonbury either but they do have strong line-ups and you have the added bonus of a trip to another country too.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Damn ... I was supposed to be helping not putting u off !! :( ... gonna close the watts app group and try and get all those on there sorted .... 

How are you going to get all of them sorted?  

I might still go for the Oxfam application - it's a pretty long shot anyway and I can either opt to work at Bearded Theory which I was planning to go to anyway or squeeze one in later in the year (maybe by skipping my local festival if none of my friends want to go anyway).  As I say, it's so unlikely I'll be selected anyway....

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I've done IOW 3 times and it is pretty much as described here. It's pleasant, people are nice and not edgy at all, so very family friendly, but also kind of mainstream and corporate. Triith is, if hte line-up is good its' worthwhile. I saw the Stones, Muse, Springsteen, Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, Killers and Depeche Mode. I'll probably give it a miss this year as the line-up is very weak in my opinion, although I have family on the island who are going so if I'm free, and the weather looks nice I might make the trip.

But, it's no alternative to Glastonbury. And if that's what you're after, I'd recommend one fo the European fests. I've done Mad Cool and Werchter. They don't match up to Glastonbury either but they do have strong line-ups and you have the added bonus of a trip to another country too.

Thanks - I wasn't really expecting it to be like Glasto - nothing is -  but was just trying to find another festival at a similar time of the year to fill the gap!  I quite like mainstream so that's not the problem but not sure if I would be so happy with the corportateness of it.  Like I said I think I'm thinking 2000 Trees is more like it - though I haven't heard of most of the lineup but that's part of the fun - finding new stuff.

11 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

How are you going to get all of them sorted?  

I might still go for the Oxfam application - it's a pretty long shot anyway and I can either opt to work at Bearded Theory which I was planning to go to anyway or squeeze one in later in the year (maybe by skipping my local festival if none of my friends want to go anyway).  As I say, it's so unlikely I'll be selected anyway....

Closing the group is a start ... and we’ve had a few sucessses already ... I’d like people to remain on there and potentially help some of the others that remain if possible ....