If I can't go to Glasto - what's IOW like?

Beerqueen

12 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Once you volunteer you will never pay again once the bug takes hold. Do what I did and go round and ask random volunteers from different companies would they come again, what the perks were, and how that charity or company treated them. It will be an eye opener.

10 hours ago, Superscally said:

I disagree. I enjoyed volunteering, but I'd not volunteer at Glasto if I had a ticket. Maybe at another festival where there's not much to see, but not at Glasto.

I agree with @marathonsteve - volunteering is my first choice now.  Being on the farm for a week, seeing it burst into life is perfect for me and those parties on mon and tues nights when there's only about 30-40K people there are brilliant.

Funnily enough @Zoo Music Girl my festi friend messaged me to say she is going to Bluedot with her daughter and did I want to go but it doesn't really look my thing.  I think I'm going back to my previous thought of June/July Glasto alternative of 2000 Trees if I don't make it to Somerset.

So I have my WaterAid application in, Shelter to apply for on Thursday, my Oxfam Campaigner application to do (including a video!! - help!!), Oxfam stewarding to keep an eye on, the resales obviously.  Not applying for the festi whatsit thingy as although I'd love to do the wristbanding I really don't want to work another festival and applications open anyway when I'm skiing.  

And 2000 trees as my fallback to fill the gap if need be.  

Thanks everyone.

Edited by Beerqueen

Can’t speak from recent festivals - last time I went to IOW was 2012 - but it wasn’t that bad. 

Yeah, it is commercial and an arena festival, but had a friendly vibe despite the weather being a shocker. I’d much rather go back there than R&L, for example. 

Nothing will ever compare to Glastonbury, obviously! 

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

Funnily enough @Zoo Music Girl my festi friend messaged me to say she is going to Bluedot with her daughter and did I want to go but it doesn't really look my thing.  I think I'm going back to my previous thought of June/July Glasto alternative of 2000 Trees if I don't make it to Somerset.

So I have my WaterAid application in, Shelter to apply for on Thursday, my Oxfam Campaigner application to do (including a video!! - help!!), Oxfam stewarding to keep an eye on, the resales obviously.  Not applying for the festi whatsit thingy as although I'd love to do the wristbanding I really don't want to work another festival and applications open anyway when I'm skiing.  

Thanks everyone.

Blue Dot has a bit more of an electronic/dance focus musically, which is right up our street but probably not for everyone. Would highly recommend it though, although I've only been once for its first year.

Green Man is wonderful too, but line-up just didn't do it for me this year.

Best of luck with your applications! 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

I agree with @marathonsteve - volunteering is my first choice now.  Being on the farm for a week, seeing it burst into life is perfect for me and those parties on mon and tues nights when there's only about 30-40K people there are brilliant.

Not forgetting those Crew bars Stuie

58 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Blue Dot has a bit more of an electronic/dance focus musically, which is right up our street but probably not for everyone. Would highly recommend it though, although I've only been once for its first year.

Green Man is wonderful too, but line-up just didn't do it for me this year.

Best of luck with your applications! 

I've always quite fancied Green Man but I always go to a festival on the bank holiday weekend and don't think two festivals on consecutive weekends is appealing (until I give up work anyway!).

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Thanks everyone.

theres a few suggestions on the volunteer thread for the oxfam campaigner bit ... and also some (not amazing ) videos on youtube .. but desmand obviously wasn't quite so high at that point ...... good to see the positivity back a little today too :) 

Be prepared to sneak you drinks in.. Not in a bag.. I used to tape it to me get enough in to start you off for the day.. Or as I did last time I had a chat with a vendor who was near the fence and slipped in a couple of cases each day.. It was a Chinese food stall but that was 2004 or 5.. A long time ago.. 

I've always quite fancied Green Man but I always go to a festival on the bank holiday weekend and don't think two festivals on consecutive weekends is appealing (until I give up work anyway!).

Yeah totally understand that. One a month is my limit!

Heartily recommend Green Man, though, if it ever does become a possibility.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah totally understand that. One a month is my limit!

Heartily recommend Green Man, though, if it ever does become a possibility.

Ooh that makes me feel pretty daring as I actually do two in August!  Mind you one is about 15 minutes down the road from me! 

Unlikely I'll give up on the bank holiday one any time soon - it's a Tributes Festival I go to with a group of friends and we have such a laugh - not your regular credible festival but one of my highlights of the year as we sing along to all the acts drink loads of beer (there is a fantastic range available) and generally piss ourselves laughing all weekend.  

I guess I'll just have to retire to go to Green Man......

7 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Ooh that makes me feel pretty daring as I actually do two in August!  Mind you one is about 15 minutes down the road from me! 

Unlikely I'll give up on the bank holiday one any time soon - it's a Tributes Festival I go to with a group of friends and we have such a laugh - not your regular credible festival but one of my highlights of the year as we sing along to all the acts drink loads of beer (there is a fantastic range available) and generally piss ourselves laughing all weekend.  

That actually sounds awesome to be honest. 

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That actually sounds awesome to be honest. 

It absolutely is!  When we first went it was very quiet - one of those festivals that just grew out of a bunch of mates putting it on for themselves.  Now it's a sell out every year - about 5,000 I think and it sold out in a week.  

We dressed up as Elton John last year, will have to see who's headlining the Saturday this year.  

edit - Queen are playing, there are four of us - it has to be Queen in the I Want to Break Free video!  Ridiculously over-excited by this idea!

Edited by Beerqueen
Over-excitement
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

It absolutely is!  When we first went it was very quiet - one of those festivals that just grew out of a bunch of mates putting it on for themselves.  Now it's a sell out every year - about 5,000 I think and it sold out in a week.  

We dressed up as Elton John last year, will have to see who's headlining the Saturday this year.  

edit - Queen are playing, there are four of us - it has to be Queen in the I Want to Break Free video!  Ridiculously over-excited by this idea!

Awesome! I was Freddie at a hen do once and it was brilliant. Tache and all.

Is that Tribfest? I'm sure that's the one himselfs family go to. They rave about it. Cheesy but lots of fun. 

6 hours ago, stuie said:

Once my kid is grown up and my responsibilities have diminished, I’d love to do this. 

Be there from start to finish and pitch in somehow. 

Would be a great experience.