Pyramid, Sunday: all women ...?

eFestivals

12 hours ago, ProperTea said:

I don't remember people calling the days when the Pyramid stage was wall to wall men a gimmick. Maybe it'll just happen organically based on who's big, Pyramid level and available?

If it was ‘men day’ by design then yes it would be a gimmick. A weird one.

Maybe it will happen organically but the way this came about, it seemed like a planned thing. And that’s just degrading to have wonderful artists bundled together because of their gender, something that has nothing to do with their craft.

• Like 1

They’ll have a local act on to start the day (unless thinks have changed).  Taylor Swift and Diana Ross Confirmed. Based on our own assumptions I’d guess we’d all be surprised if 2 more on that day aren’t HAIM and Dua Lipa (unless she is actually headlining The other).

So 2 more acts to fit in.  Wouldn’t be too hard if they actually wanted too but sounds like hard not happening anyway.  Have to say though the possibility of a run of Taylor, Dua, HAIM and Diana Ross seems like a lot of fun

58 minutes ago, sisco said:

They’ll have a local act on to start the day (unless thinks have changed).  Taylor Swift and Diana Ross Confirmed. Based on our own assumptions I’d guess we’d all be surprised if 2 more on that day aren’t HAIM and Dua Lipa (unless she is actually headlining The other).

So 2 more acts to fit in.  Wouldn’t be too hard if they actually wanted too but sounds like hard not happening anyway.  Have to say though the possibility of a run of Taylor, Dua, HAIM and Diana Ross seems like a lot of fun

Just stick Capaldi in with these awesome females so that people don't get all angry at the terrible prospect of an all women day.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This year's version of The Sisterhood thread is currently pencilled in for April.

I don't think we've got to wait that long.  

Edited by stuie

Glastonbury has always featured some strong women.  Bonnie Raitt (still touring) was one of the most commanding presences I've ever seen on stage.  I think it was Glasto 2004.  Still touring and an activist today.

Edited by grumpyhack

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

the bad take is painting up anyone who thinks this would be a clumsy and demeaning move as someone who thinks that women shouldn’t be chosen as it’s unfair on men just because it’s a winnable argument.

What’s clumsy about it though? I don’t see why in the grand scheme of things it matters that much. 

The festival is run by a woman. This isn’t some stunning and brave act by a group of corporate men. 

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Because they are making it into a gimmick by making a point of equality and not just booking acts for the slots. Stick to booking acts on the merit etc and not making a point of it like it's a whole big thing that's why. It's going to be a 'thing's to book women before long and it should just be if they are around and have the recognition then they are booked and it's left like that.

The festival scene might as well turn into a sexism scene against booking women for slots when it's really not as if women aren't ever booked.

Oh okay, so because there's a rumour going around that it might happen and a rumour going around saying it WONT happen, thats them making it into a gimmick and making a point regarding to it? 

So a festival can never have a day start to finish that is a womans line up because thats going to be a 'gimmick'.

Got ya. 

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What’s clumsy about it though? I don’t see why in the grand scheme of things it matters that much. 

The festival is run by a woman. This isn’t some stunning and brave act by a group of corporate men. 

Celebrating unique talented artists by grouping them together by gender. Simple as.

I mean, why do you think it’s not actually happening and that the festival has no plans to do it?

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Some really bad takes in here lol

If the pyramid one day was all men “that’s just how it is”, but if a pyramid day is all women that is part of some giant agenda? I’m totally lost 

It's different because an all male day on a stage is much more likely based on the laws of probability. Your point would be a good one if 50% of musicians were female, but it's currently 20% (signed up to UK music labels, according to the BBC). So statistically, a lot more manoeuvring needs to be done for the end result to be a day that is 100% female. Of course, if a festival is going to go 50/50 then it becomes as likely as males, but as we know, that isn't (yet) the case. Have there even been any all male days at Glastonbury anyway? If there have been none or a small amount, that proves the point further.

What the music industry needs to do is ensure the same opportunities exist for females as they do for males. If at some point that results in an all female day by chance (based on when acts are available) then cool, but it's not sexism for anyone suggest it happening now would be somewhat forced and patronising towards women by focusing on gender identity (clumsy, yes) over the art they produce and the live shows they create, it's based on probability. 

And before anyone comes back with a bad interpretation - of course acts like Taylor Swift, Diana Ross, Haim, Alicia Keys etc are there on merit alone, anyone suggesting otherwise is way off the mark. 

Have I missed something, because I am sure the festival have denied this? Saw this in the Evening Post

Glastonbury Festival told Bristol Live there are 'no plans' for an all-female lineup on the Pyramid Stage.

A spokesperson said: "Although the two acts we’ve announced for Sunday so far are obviously female - Taylor Swift and Diana Ross - there are no plans for Sunday’s Pyramid line-up to be entirely made up of female acts."

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Would like to see Download try and copy this. Baby metal three day headliner? 

There are plenty of female-fronted metal bands...Nightwish, Arch Enemy, Delain, Nemesea, Venom Prison (who played Glasto last year) etc.

Probably only Nightwish are big enough to get anywhere near the top of a UK festival bill.

20 minutes ago, henry bear said:

She wouldn’t know either way

Disagree.  I have a theory about this.

Nothing she says in that song is ironic. I think everyone agrees on that.

However, the song is called Ironic.

The fact that nothing she lists is ironic in a song called Ironic, is in itself ironic. That's the irony.

Meta as fuck.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

Have there even been any all male days at Glastonbury anyway?

Looking just at Pyramid lineups, the Friday in 2011 was the last time:

U2, Morrissey, Biffy Clyro, BB King, Wu-Tang Clan, Two Door Cinema Club, Metronomy, Master Musicians of Joujouka

(Metronomy are of course only 80% male.)

I can see the risk of it being dismissed as a gimmick,  but I don't think it's a terrible idea.  I think managed correctly it could be a powerful statement:  "look, how easy it is to have a whole day of amazing female acts", particularly if the other days also had a good balance too.

The idea is to challenge the status quo.  Deliberately giving the stage to female acts is acknowledging that men have more advantages, and other male footsteps to follow in, but women deserve that chance too.  It's why i support positive discrimination in other fields too;  yes it's artificial to begin with but the idea is not tokenism, but actually opening the door and wedging it open for more women to follow.

36 minutes ago, Quark said:

Disagree.  I have a theory about this.

Nothing she says in that song is ironic. I think everyone agrees on that.

However, the song is called Ironic.

The fact that nothing she lists is ironic in a song called Ironic, is in itself ironic. That's the irony.

Meta as fuck.

Cap doffed.