Pyramid, Sunday: all women ...?

eFestivals

Everyone is going to have an opinion on this. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it the right way to go about it. Whatever you think about it, it is a positive action (and these things really, really matter and are super important). What it does do is prove the naysayers at other major festivals completely and utterly wrong. They've all peddled the same excuse and said a split just isn't realistic. If Glasto can fill a main stage Sunday with amazing female talent whilst pushing as close to an even split as possible across the rest of the fest then there is literally no reason why others cannot up do the same... Unless of course, they don't want to. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I know this idea was shot down quite a bit on here when suggested but I had a feeling they might’ve gone down this route. 

Kacey Musgraves > Diana Ross > Alicia Keys > Lana? > Taylor Swift

Probably Haim in there somewhere as well.

I don't see it, majority yes it's pretty silly to just try and do that.

I do think it will probably claim your top 4 as Taylor, Dua Lipa, HAIM and Diana Ross though 

14 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I don't see any issue with what Glastonbury are doing if they make this years Sunday a ladies special. It highlights the issue and there is no problem with that.

I think the criticism of L&R and TRNSMT are unfair. They are far more of a commercial enterprise than Glastonbury. They are there to make money and will live or die by the decisions they make. Glastonbury has the luxury of selling out before a single artist is named, the other festivals are not as lucky. 

One thing that annoys me a little is that Glastonbury seem to want diversity and balance with their artists but do absolutely nothing to address the quite startling lack of diversity within the people who attend the festival. For me that os a far bigger issue than how many women get prominent spots on the Pyramid stage. Glastonbury is quick to blow its own trumpet in relation to the good thing it does. Yet when 95%+ are white and from comfortable economic environments, it has a far way to go in relation to diversity.

I think criticism of L & R and TRNSMT is absolutely fair. The line up for Leeds and Reading is poor apart from about 3 or 4 acts and there are plenty of far more interesting and exciting female acts that could have been chosen (even within the narrow remit of white guitar rock!) 

Do you not think by tackling the diversity on their stages they are attempting to tackle it in their audiences as well? More women and POC will attend when they see their tastes reflected on the stages. They already do more than more festivals to make it accessible for disabled people. Every year the more middle aged white men who grumble that Taylor Swift or Kendrick Lamar is playing they hopefully leave a space free for a more diverse range of attendees. Change is slow but I absolutely applaud Emily for the efforts she is making. Everytime someone who wants an Oasis reunion as a headliner says that Emily is ruining the festival my heart lightens a little to know what positive strides are being made. 

• Upvote 3

Like the idea and it would be a big statement for women to carry the pyramid stage for a whole day at the biggest festival, particularly in light of the 'arguments' for male dominated bills that aren't enough female artists, they don't sell tickets, etc.

There is a risk it comes across as a bit of a gimmick if the rest of the festival bill is male dominated but I don't see that panning out. Am sure they will have the other days balanced out and end the final day on the 50th anniversary with a big statement of an all female pyramid lineup

Edited by Keithy

It's been floated around here a fair bit with how many strong female acts there seems to be around that weekend. 

Kacey > Diana > Alicia > Lana (?) / (billie?) > Taylor Swift wokrs out amazingly. Have Haim sub headline the Other stage on another day. Have Wolf Alice sub headline the other stage too. 

Just because there's a whole day of just female artists on the Pyramid doesn't mean it'll take away from other day :)

21 minutes ago, eastynh said:

One thing that annoys me a little is that Glastonbury seem to want diversity and balance with their artists but do absolutely nothing to address the quite startling lack of diversity within the people who attend the festival. For me that os a far bigger issue than how many women get prominent spots on the Pyramid stage. Glastonbury is quick to blow its own trumpet in relation to the good thing it does. Yet when 95%+ are white and from comfortable economic environments, it has a far way to go in relation to diversity.

I cant agree with this sorry. Crowd diversity? What does that even mean? Glastonbury cant force black or ethnic minorities to buy tickets... The only thing a festival can do in this regard is what music they play... Glastonbury plays everything... so that is all they can do.

They cant limit the amount of tickets they can sell to white people or give black people priority...  that is a non-starter. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I don't see any issue with what Glastonbury are doing if they make this years Sunday a ladies special. It highlights the issue and there is no problem with that.

I think the criticism of L&R and TRNSMT are unfair. They are far more of a commercial enterprise than Glastonbury. They are there to make money and will live or die by the decisions they make. Glastonbury has the luxury of selling out before a single artist is named, the other festivals are not as lucky. 

They can't change who comes to the Festival apart from the acts they host. 

Saying the criticism is unfair is bullshit sorry, its totally fair. Look at other festivals around Europe around the same time and the split in their line ups is totally different. Primavea has an almost 50/50 split and did so last year too. Do not make 'oh they're a commerical festival' excuse 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Where did this come from because I guess it’s kind of in contention a bit now

Seem to remember it came with the original Kendrick/Aerosmith info. Could be completely wrong tho.

49 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Them consistently booking more diverse acts will likely help - Glastonbury sells out before the lineup is announced, so you've kind of got to know that there will be something that you definitely want to see (I know, it's not about the lineup etc, but if there are no headliners that appeal to you, then it's easy to see the festival as "not for me").  In the past, the festival has been pretty poor for hiphop / rap / grime etc.   Booking Kano, BBK, Simz reasonably high up the bill over the last couple of years, and then Stormzy last year as a headliner shows that there is starting to be some consistency with urban (for want of a better description) acts getting booked, which means people might take the risk.  A big contemporary rap act like Travis Scott, Young Thug or similar this year will help as well.

The economic thing is a big one - I reckon the largest economic diversity is in the crews / volunteers rather than the public - I know a lot of people (myself included) who would probably not afford a ticket but trade a bit of time or skills instead.

/edit. 

Also, I know it's a cliche comment, but would we even be having the conversation if there was a day that was all male...

Edited by jfaragher

Christ, what a patronising load of old bollocks.

Its like ladies day at the races. Go on girls, get all dolled up there, this is your day. 

Thats not equality. Under any definition. Equality is Little Simz playing last year after The Good, The Bad & The Queen. And nailing it. No big thing, no patronising positive discrimination. Shes just very good and deserved the higher slot.

9 of the 20 (not including the choir who had loads of women) on the Pyramid last year were female. Cat Power headlined the Park, again. Christine and the Queens headlined the Other, Janelle headlined the WH, Rickie Lee headlined the acoustic. 

Globally viewed gigs by Kylie and Miley, other stand out gigs from the weekend - Mavis, Shezza Crow, Carrie, Ms Hill (for being shit), Janet (foe being shit), Billie etc etc.