Pyramid, Sunday: all women ...?

eFestivals

I remember this being mentioned before. When I saw the nick of the R&L line up following on from TRNSMT's sausagefest, I hoped Glasto would show them up. Yep, it's a bit of a gimmick but the first time tends to be, then it becomes absorbed into normal. See: plastic bottle ban. So if this is true, gaun yersel', Emily!

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

It does feel a bit "gimmicky". If there were more women than men on every day - it would feel a bit more authentic & be more to how I'd rather it be done, but, I suppose this will probably register with the paying public more, so I think it's a good move.

A little bit like the JP Stage on the Friday last year?

(What a cracking day that was, btw)

3 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I remember this being mentioned before. When I saw the nick of the R&L line up following on from TRNSMT's sausagefest, I hoped Glasto would show them up. Yep, it's a bit of a gimmick but the first time tends to be, then it becomes absorbed into normal. See: plastic bottle ban. So if this is true, gaun yersel', Emily!

That's the way I see it.

It's the gimmick which registers with the public. If there are 7 pyramid acts per day. So 21 in total & 15 were women, it might not have the impact that this could have. Even if there are only 3 others  across the other 2 days. (I dont think there will be only 3 others, but)

Very contrived if true. Why force them all onto one day? you can have as many female artists and just give them slots as any other act would get them. If they feel they are under representing female acts then just book more.

If its purely for to get peoples attention I'm not sure what the point in that is....  "Glasto whole sunday line up is female!!!" great.... and??? Makes much more sense to just book more female acts and make a point of pointing it out, far less contrived and gimmicky 

Makes sense, seems realistic to me.

I'm all for it.

It might come across as a bit 'gimmicky' but it's the sort of headline-grabbing thing that will force other festivals into more gender-balanced lineups.  I'm sure it'll be 50/50 on other stages and days as well rather than just shoving them all onto one stage/day.

Just now, Havors said:

Very contrived if true. Why force them all onto one day? you can have as many female artists and just give them slots as any other act would get them. If they feel they are under representing female acts then just book more.

If its purely for to get peoples attention I'm not sure what the point in that is....  "Glasto whole sunday line up is female!!!" great.... and??? Makes much more sense to just book more female acts and make a point of pointing it out, far less contrived and gimmicky 

I think Emily said last year (?) something along the lines of when you're trying to change something that's ingrained, you have to do these massive things to secure a relatively small overall move forward. Which makes sense I think.  

I don't see any issue with what Glastonbury are doing if they make this years Sunday a ladies special. It highlights the issue and there is no problem with that.

I think the criticism of L&R and TRNSMT are unfair. They are far more of a commercial enterprise than Glastonbury. They are there to make money and will live or die by the decisions they make. Glastonbury has the luxury of selling out before a single artist is named, the other festivals are not as lucky. 

One thing that annoys me a little is that Glastonbury seem to want diversity and balance with their artists but do absolutely nothing to address the quite startling lack of diversity within the people who attend the festival. For me that os a far bigger issue than how many women get prominent spots on the Pyramid stage. Glastonbury is quick to blow its own trumpet in relation to the good thing it does. Yet when 95%+ are white and from comfortable economic environments, it has a far way to go in relation to diversity.

Just now, gmb1992 said:

Yes it is a bit gimicky but I get the idea

It will be a day of female celebration on a platform that is extremely male dominated :) 

Maybe Greta will do a talk too

I know she was due (?) to turn up last year, but given the carbon footprint of Glastonbury, which I assume is mahoosive, would she endorse it I wonder?

I think it can be both a bit gimmicky and also a really positive step at the same time. I can’t see the rest of the lineup lacking in female representation. Having a day of all female artists on the biggest stage of the festival, for the 50th anniversary is a big headline grabbing statement and ensures the issue is raised more in public consciousness. 

I mean, what if this has just happened organically? There's 7 slots on the Pyramid on Sunday, and we know two of them are already female (possibly 3 with HAIM). They might have 5 particular female acts they want on the lineup and that's the only day they can do, or the day that makes most sense. If anything I'd imagine Emily would want the Pyramid female acts spread across the weekend and not heavily weighted on one day.

I can see it happening as a natural thing and the festival not touting it as an all female day. Obviously the press would make it a big deal, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just happen to have 7 acts pencilled in and they just happen to be women.

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think Emily said last year (?) something along the lines of when you're trying to change something that's ingrained, you have to do these massive things to secure a relatively small overall move forward. Which makes sense I think.  

Yeah I kind of get it the more I think about it. Like you need something that sticks in peoples minds which then going forwards makes them more conscious of their decisions. 

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

I think the criticism of L&R and TRNSMT are unfair. They are far more of a commercial enterprise than Glastonbury. They are there to make money and will live or die by the decisions they make. Glastonbury has the luxury of selling out before a single artist is named, the other festivals are not as lucky. 

The floodgates opened on TRNSMT because of the "more women need to pick up guitars" nonsense he came out with. Left himself wide open for it based on that. If they'd been open about the commerciality of it then might have least have got some points for shooting straight.

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

One thing that annoys me a little is that Glastonbury seem to want diversity and balance with their artists but do absolutely nothing to address the quite startling lack of diversity within the people who attend the festival. For me that os a far bigger issue than how many women get prominent spots on the Pyramid stage. Glastonbury is quick to blow its own trumpet in relation to the good thing it does. Yet when 95%+ are white and from comfortable economic environments, it has a far way to go in relation to diversity.

But how do you change that? I mean you're right about the balance, but how do you change it? I certainly notice considerably more acts at Glastonbury that would appeal to that non-core audience than I did when I started going in '09, but short of allocating tickets how else do you actively encourage people to come?  It's important to draw the distinction between the diversity of artists they book, which is absolutely under their control, and the audience which is much harder for them to make happen. 

Having said that, this remains a very telling photo. In any other context you'd assume something was about to go horribly wrong here :D

D-s18CWXYAEJYL3.thumb.jpg.5bf7e31502bb16d6b6cb9de8b456277e.jpg

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I don't see any issue with what Glastonbury are doing if they make this years Sunday a ladies special. It highlights the issue and there is no problem with that.

Not sure how the festival can be criticised for the diversity of its audience? They can't force people to try for tickets. They've got the deposit system and people can bring their own booze/food etc so they've made it as available as it financially can to an extremely wide economic demographic. As for ethnic diversity, not sure what else the festival can do? They can't make young black or Asian people want to go to Glastonbury. The lineup is incredibly diverse, the Eavii can't pick and choose their clientele and we all know how brutal the lottery of getting tickets is.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I'm not sure what they're supposed to do about that though.

They can increase the diversity of their acts, with the hope this is reflected in the crowd (which they have done).

They could lower ticket prices I suppose, but that's not going to happen.

Do you have any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

This is an interesting topic. Do you think its a Glastonbury problem or is it that all major fests charge £250+ a ticket now and festival going in general has that inherent elitism? I haven't been to a big festival other than Glastonbury for maybe 10 years so can't comment on their diversity in comparison.