Jump to content

Emily confirms "significant, big surprises"


ProperTea
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Have you watched the video?

Did he throw the microphone at the guy? He clearly throws it on the floor, and walks away.

Then has the microphone and drink thrown at his head. If you did that to someone, you would expect no reaction? Be real.

I'm really disappointed with what happened as I'm a big fan of his music, and the videos of him and Katherine Ryan are disturbing and something it will be difficult to forget, but regarding the fight let's stick to the facts, yeah? Before we start claiming that the heckler is a hero. 

He clearly throws the mic at the guy. The guy threw it back, as you would.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, kalifire said:

But in fairness, Emily did say right after revealing there'd be secret sets that "it's not Led Zeppelin and it's not Daft Punk" - that was the secret sets she was referring to, not 2021 headliners - so whoever the TBC(s) are, they'll be big, and at least Other-worthy.

Previously she said "it's not led zeppelin, pink floyd or daft punk" and this time only two of those names got ruled out.  Pink floyd confirmed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's made lewd comments at a comedian, who has disarmed him with her wit.. he's tried to carry on and realised he's being made to look small. He's been hounded by someone in the crowd, he's thrown his mic off stage into nothing, and has had it thrown back (with what looks like confetti).... He's then thrown GLASS into the crowd at somebody; and jumped into the crowd doing some pathetic 'what? what?' routine that he's doing because he knows there is security between him and the heckler. 

 

If you can't handle your drink/gear and you're in a position where your every move is going to be filmed and scrutinised. Don't drink or do gear... The bloke is a tosser, and his behaviour inexcusable.

Edited by Andy0808 v5
  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

Previously she said "it's not led zeppelin, pink floyd or daft punk" and this time only two of those names got ruled out.  Pink floyd confirmed.

It must give Daft Punk's ego some boost to get casually lumped in with LZ and The Floyd each time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Same difference isn't it?

I think having Coldplay and Michael cut ribbon on the Pyramid at 11.00 Friday to kick off the festival's 50th anniversary is too good an opportunity to miss. It works for all parties - Coldplay get to be involved in the celebrations without the complaints of them taking yet another headline slot, the festival have a huge name and massive story to lead with, people who want to see Coldplay can and those who don't can stay in bed.

You're a genius my friend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Have you watched the video?

Did he throw the microphone at the guy? He clearly throws it on the floor, and walks away.

Then has the microphone and drink thrown at his head. If you did that to someone, you would expect no reaction? Be real.

I'm really disappointed with what happened as I'm a big fan of his music, and the videos of him and Katherine Ryan are disturbing and something it will be difficult to forget, but regarding the fight let's stick to the facts, yeah? Before we start claiming that the heckler is a hero. 

Hence my comment was "that's the video I had seen"  then my answer would of course be yes. He throws it in to the crowd directed at the bloke very blatantly whilst he is mouthing off about him spoiling his speech, I think i'm very real. You however must be living in another world if you think he is not being a dick there. 

And in context ANYBODY who throws glass in to a crowd should be locked up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tomfestival_11 said:

Could it be something on the pyramid on the Thursday night. They have made the field bigger and it is the 50th.🤪

 

Licensing issues have always made this impossible and I presume we'd have already heard if the council had granted the festival a license for music on the main stages on Thursday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Hence my comment was "that's the video I had seen"  then my answer would of course be yes. He throws it in to the crowd directed at the bloke very blatantly whilst he is mouthing off about him spoiling his speech, I think i'm very real. You however must be living in another world if you think he is not being a dick there. 

And in context ANYBODY who throws glass in to a crowd should be locked up. 

Where did I say he's not being a dick? I'm not excusing him, I'm really uncomfortable with his behaviour towards Katherine Ryan and will find it hard to move on from that. I just find it laughable that people are claiming the other guy is a hero (we can agree to disagree on this, but look at the video closely - the angle shows where the guy is when slowthai points to him, he then CLEARLY looks down, and drops the mic far away from where he was just looking. If you still believe he threw it into the crowd directed at the bloke then that's up to you, but you're wrong).

I'm sure it's nice and easy for those who don't care about him/his music or those who say things like they hate him "for seemingly no reason without having heard any of his music" because it's very black and white for you, and you've made your judgement beforehand.

He's someone with a lot of issues, that's clear, but it seemed as though he was working his way through them, so to see something like this is pretty gutting for those of us who do actually give a shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Where did I say he's not being a dick? I'm not excusing him, I'm really uncomfortable with his behaviour towards Katherine Ryan and will find it hard to move on from that. I just find it laughable that people are claiming the other guy is a hero (we can agree to disagree on this, but look at the video closely - the angle shows where the guy is when slowthai points to him, he then CLEARLY looks down, and drops the mic far away from where he was just looking. If you still believe he threw it into the crowd directed at the bloke then that's up to you, but you're wrong).

I'm sure it's nice and easy for those who don't care about him/his music or those who say things like they hate him "for seemingly no reason without having heard any of his music" because it's very black and white for you, and you've made your judgement beforehand.

He's someone with a lot of issues, that's clear, but it seemed as though he was working his way through them, so to see something like this is pretty gutting for those of us who do actually give a shit.

Well the guy in audience was giving him shit for being a misogynist (rightly). 

 

I dont think anyone cares about the crowd stuff, since he got manhandled by a middle aged speccy guy. It's the katherine ryan stuff which is disgusting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well the guy in audience was giving him shit for being a misogynist (rightly). 

 

I dont think anyone cares about the crowd stuff, since he got manhandled by a middle aged speccy guy. It's the katherine ryan stuff which is disgusting 

I know he was, but if if you call the person who instigated the violence a hero, considering slowthai walked away and he decided to throw a microphone and a drink at him, then you're a hypocrite - that's my point.

Of course the Katherine Ryan stuff is awful. It's just very easy to dismiss this stuff rather than address it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

What examples are there of her over-egging things? I'd say she's the opposite, very careful with her words and doesn't go into hype overdrive. I'm sure @eFestivals has said before how she is the complete opposite to Michael in being very deliberate with what she let's on and exactly how she words it.

yup, that's my take.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unlikely I know, but I think it could be pretty cool if there was a particular slot on a day, say 5-6pm, where all the main 5 stages had unannounced / secret slots all at the same time. The chaos it would spark with people dashing round site not knowing what to go to would be blockbuster, though potentially not good for crowd control...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Where did I say he's not being a dick? I'm not excusing him, I'm really uncomfortable with his behaviour towards Katherine Ryan and will find it hard to move on from that. I just find it laughable that people are claiming the other guy is a hero (we can agree to disagree on this, but look at the video closely - the angle shows where the guy is when slowthai points to him, he then CLEARLY looks down, and drops the mic far away from where he was just looking. If you still believe he threw it into the crowd directed at the bloke then that's up to you, but you're wrong).

I'm sure it's nice and easy for those who don't care about him/his music or those who say things like they hate him "for seemingly no reason without having heard any of his music" because it's very black and white for you, and you've made your judgement beforehand.

He's someone with a lot of issues, that's clear, but it seemed as though he was working his way through them, so to see something like this is pretty gutting for those of us who do actually give a shit.

Never called him a hero. 

My opinion is that he threw it in to the crowd and was in his direction because I have eyes. Whether or not he has issues is not my place to comment but as I say anyone who throws glass in to a crowd should be locked up. 

The Katherine Ryan thing was awful and can't be defended either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Never called him a hero. 

My opinion is that he threw it in to the crowd and was in his direction because I have eyes. Whether or not he has issues is not my place to comment but as I say anyone who throws glass in to a crowd should be locked up. 

The Katherine Ryan thing was awful and can't be defended either. 

Christ, look, I didn't say YOU called him a hero, did I?

I'm not asking you to comment on his issues either. Perhaps you don't care that there are other circumstances at play, and you're happier to believe it's just a black and white issue. But not everyone feels that way about the world.

I know it was awful. And I haven't defended it. I've made it very clear that it's upset me.

I'll just leave these here as well, just so we're clear whose eyes are working.

st.png

st2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 87 BEANS said:

Unlikely I know, but I think it could be pretty cool if there was a particular slot on a day, say 5-6pm, where all the main 5 stages had unannounced / secret slots all at the same time. The chaos it would spark with people dashing round site not knowing what to go to would be blockbuster, though potentially not good for crowd control...

In the internet age it would be almost impossible to keep secret.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, discgoesmic said:

I have mixed feelings about these big surprises. They're always acts that are absolutely worth seeing and it's really impressive that Glastonbury get them to do it, but secret/surprise sets are NEVER handled well. The Killers in John Peel felt incredibly dangerous due to over crowding and Foals at The Park was impossible if you weren't there for ages before.

I hope the surprise is similar to The Libertines years ago and is on the Pyramid stage for everyone to enjoy. I'm hoping they aren't planning on making it an experience for limited numbers due to smaller stages.

I actually disagree with this. Seeing a big name or band on a small stage is what makes secret sets so special for me, much more intimate. Yes I know there's crowd control issues that should be addressed, but seeing killers (for example) on the pyramid mid afternoon wouldn't feel that great to me, whilst the jp tent secret set genuinely felt like one of those moments of everything coming together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is alot of work that goes into and around crowd control and safety all weekend! On the ground and monitored from above! This also happens around the rumoured secret sets and the unexpected moments in the sets! The stage managers and stars work really closely with the safety teams to do their best to keep things safe! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

He clearly does not throw the mic at him. Clearly.

Then again we live in a post-truth world so this is a pointless discussion to get into if you're going to deny what's right in front of you.

Well I can throw that right back at you cos he clearly does throw the mic at him, why would he be throwing it at all if not at the guy? Just because you miss something does not mean you aren’t trying to hit it. 
 

actually rewatching it, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on the mic, but he 100% throws the glass at the guy.

Edited by Smeble
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Smeble said:

He clearly throws the mic at the guy. The guy threw it back, as you would.

Doesn't accidentally drop the mic, but no way can that be classed as throwing it at someone, he throws it directly to the floor.

Edited by lukemack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, jparx said:

Mentioned it in another thread but I'm putting my chips on Radiohead. They would certainly be a huge surprise since they're not active, but two of the band will probably be performing there anyway and others may well be attending, Emily and Michael both love them and call them the best headliner for 97 and they seem to be a band capable of getting together and performing without too much prep. 

Pure speculation and likely won't happen, but if I had to predict a "big surprise" that would be it.

Given that they've said they're having a year off Radiohead in 2020 and Ed seems to be taking his solo stuff quite seriously, I can't see any reason for them to play the festival.  I bloody love them and all, but I'd say it's highly highly unlikely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...