Emily confirms "significant, big surprises"

ProperTea

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

We’ve got Slowthai chat on about three different threads now.

I can't keep up, Efests is busy today and I had to mention how much of a dick he was. Bad enough that he did that to Katherine Ryan but then to throw a glass and start a fight  was ridiculous. 

Edited by Doug85

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I can't keep up, Efests is busy today and I had to mention how much of a dick he was. Bad enough that he did thay to Katherine Ryan but then to throw a glass and start a fight  was ridiculous. 

Pretty hard to defend that.

EDIT: The person in the crowd looks like he was being a dick. Absolutely not condoning it but launching the mic and their drink at him wasn’t wise either.

Edited by DareToDibble

4 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Yeah I've mentioned that a few times. Or even someone like Fatboy Slim - would be entirely different for him to do it but if he stuck to playing mainly his own stuff it'd be a great start to the festival. It's a different crowd but Shy FX opened Boomtown in 2018 and it was a superb set and went down a storm, even if it was 11am.

I often thought the same actually. Would be fantastic! 

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

EDIT: The person in the crowd looks like he was being a dick. Absolutely not condoning it but launching the mic and their drink at him wasn’t wise either.

From what I've heard all the guy in the crowd did was shout at him to call him out on his actions and booed him. Threw the finger up at him as well.

The guy is an artist. If every musician jumped into the crowd and started a fight at someone booing them we'd have no musicians left. 

13 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

That's the video I had seen. The guy in the crowd was heckling him for being a dick to Katherine Ryan from what I gather, Slowthai then got defensive about it and chucked the mic at him so the bloke launched it back at him and the contents of his (plastic) pint  before Slowthai did what he did. 

Shocking behaviour and he should know better. The bloke in the crowd didn't deal with it in the best way either mind but at least someone told him the way he was acting was far from "hero award" worthy. 

Edited by Doug85

I have mixed feelings about these big surprises. They're always acts that are absolutely worth seeing and it's really impressive that Glastonbury get them to do it, but secret/surprise sets are NEVER handled well. The Killers in John Peel felt incredibly dangerous due to over crowding and Foals at The Park was impossible if you weren't there for ages before.

I hope the surprise is similar to The Libertines years ago and is on the Pyramid stage for everyone to enjoy. I'm hoping they aren't planning on making it an experience for limited numbers due to smaller stages.

Know they only played in 2017 but Foo Fighters have just announced June Europe dates with no UK date yet.

Dave Grohl also casually said that the band have finished a new record, in an interview on the Ringer podcast that was released yesterday. They have a big history of doing small intimate pop up gigs out of nowhere and it's their 25th anniversary. 

Glasto gap. Anniversaries galore. Dave Grohl loves a surprise. Could see it happening as a TBC slot... 

...maybe 

2 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

I have mixed feelings about these big surprises. They're always acts that are absolutely worth seeing and it's really impressive that Glastonbury get them to do it, but secret/surprise sets are NEVER handled well. The Killers in John Peel felt incredibly dangerous due to over crowding and Foals at The Park was impossible if you weren't there for ages before.

I hope the surprise is similar to The Libertines years ago and is on the Pyramid stage for everyone to enjoy. I'm hoping they aren't planning on making it an experience for limited numbers due to smaller stages.

I guess the difference here it's that it would be in the Pyramid + apparently the field will be bigger this year so in case of crowds will be fine

1 minute ago, AlexOvd said:

I guess the difference here it's that it would be in the Pyramid + apparently the field will be bigger this year so in case of crowds will be fine

Great point. What I meant above was as long as the acts are on a big enough stage for all to enjoy then it'll be a great experience.

44 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Yeah I've mentioned that a few times. Or even someone like Fatboy Slim - would be entirely different for him to do it but if he stuck to playing mainly his own stuff it'd be a great start to the festival. It's a different crowd but Shy FX opened Boomtown in 2018 and it was a superb set and went down a storm, even if it was 11am.

That Shy FX set was amazing, and then full on madness for Jungle Cakes in the rain.  A proper statement of intent.

Boomtown usually open with a big set, and their music chap (Kapitan / AAA / whatever his real name is...) has often said he's not a fan of the linear lineup (small acts to bigger acts), especially at a show where some stages will run till ~4am.

21 minutes ago, GlastoDrums said:

Know they only played in 2017 but Foo Fighters have just announced June Europe dates with no UK date yet.

Dave Grohl also casually said that the band have finished a new record, in an interview on the Ringer podcast that was released yesterday. They have a big history of doing small intimate pop up gigs out of nowhere and it's their 25th anniversary. 

Glasto gap. Anniversaries galore. Dave Grohl loves a surprise. Could see it happening as a TBC slot... 

...maybe 

Yeah I reckon Foo Fighters are a good shout for a special guest appearance. They always stop at least one UK festival each year.

59 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

From what I've heard all the guy in the crowd did was shout at him to call him out on his actions and booed him. Threw the finger up at him as well.

The guy is an artist. If every musician jumped into the crowd and started a fight at someone booing them we'd have no musicians left. 

58 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

That's the video I had seen. The guy in the crowd was heckling him for being a dick to Katherine Ryan from what I gather, Slowthai then got defensive about it and chucked the mic at him so the bloke launched it back at him and the contents of his (plastic) pint  before Slowthai did what he did. 

Shocking behaviour and he should know better. The bloke in the crowd didn't deal with it in the best way either mind but at least someone told him the way he was acting was far from "hero award" worthy. 

I had wondered what the guy in the crowd did but if that's all it was then Slowthai's actions are even more indefensible.

26 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

That Shy FX set was amazing, and then full on madness for Jungle Cakes in the rain.  A proper statement of intent.

Boomtown usually open with a big set, and their music chap (Kapitan / AAA / whatever his real name is...) has often said he's not a fan of the linear lineup (small acts to bigger acts), especially at a show where some stages will run till ~4am.

This was such a good day, and that AAA Badboy bloke does some great mixes of his own on mixcloud

56 minutes ago, GlastoDrums said:

...maybe 

Bucket list this would be for moi. Broke his leg in 2015, then I missed out on tickets in 2017 and refused to watch it and instead had my very own salt-off in a corner elsewhere. (obvs watched the set since, but still)

Come on David, light my fire 🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlastoDrums said:

...maybe 

That would not be a massive surprise... quite logical actually. Fingers crossed! Foos on the Park friday afternoon slot like the Foals.... perfect!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

Have you watched the video?

Did he throw the microphone at the guy? He clearly throws it on the floor, and walks away.

Then has the microphone and drink thrown at his head. If you did that to someone, you would expect no reaction? Be real.

I'm really disappointed with what happened as I'm a big fan of his music, and the videos of him and Katherine Ryan are disturbing and something it will be difficult to forget, but regarding the fight let's stick to the facts, yeah? Before we start claiming that the heckler is a hero. 

2 hours ago, Doug85 said:

Talking about the NME awards last night, how much of a dick is Slowthai? Completely ruined his career in 1 night. 

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Slowthai seems - and I'm using this term euphemistically - a bit young for his age. 

4 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

There's no rumour for either its just people hoping. 

But in fairness, Emily did say right after revealing there'd be secret sets that "it's not Led Zeppelin and it's not Daft Punk" - that was the secret sets she was referring to, not 2021 headliners - so whoever the TBC(s) are, they'll be big, and at least Other-worthy.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

But in fairness, Emily did say right after revealing there'd be secret sets that "it's not Led Zeppelin and it's not Daft Punk" - that was the secret sets she was referring to, not 2021 headliners - so whoever the TBC(s) are, they'll be big, and at least Other-worthy.

Completely, but those hoping for a Foo Fighters or Metallica set at 4pm on The Park are getting their hopes up I think there's no 'rumours' for those names. 

2 hours ago, uscore said:

The main danger of only finding secret sets by accident is Blossoms.

My all time favourite secret set let down is being in a queue for a cash point in, I think 2014, behind some guys who were excitedly going on about the fact Prince was about to do a secret set in the JP. Me and my mate didn't have the heart to tell them that we knew via twitter it was The Kooks 😂

Edited by waltere

1 minute ago, waltere said:

My all time favourite secret set let down is being in a queue for a cash point in, I think 2014, behind some guys who were excitedly going on about the fact Prince was about to do a secret set in the JP. Me and my mate didn't have the heart to tell them that we knew via twitter it was The Kooks 😂

Fuck, I can only imagine the crushing disappointment they must have felt.  And I don't mind the Kooks!

7 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I really wouldn't take half-pissed Emily's comments too literally TBH

it'll probably be something like U2 appearing with Kendrick for a song, or Greta Thunberg giving a speech, or something equally underwhelming. Emily has form for seriously over-egging things.

What examples are there of her over-egging things? I'd say she's the opposite, very careful with her words and doesn't go into hype overdrive. I'm sure @eFestivals has said before how she is the complete opposite to Michael in being very deliberate with what she let's on and exactly how she words it.