Emily confirms "significant, big surprises"

ProperTea

22 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-festival-2019-line-up-2483548.amp

January 2019, specifically the 'metal slot' and 5pm on the Friday. Not long after she told @eFestivals or Scotty that there wouldn't be anyone for the 2019 festival but someone huge for 2020. Could still be Aerosmith, but why mention metal and that specific day and time if that was the case? 

Iron Maiden

9 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Pretty sure I mentioned this as well, or at least quoted you in saying it would be a fantastic idea and would explain why they're expanding the field.

Even if it's not Coldplay I do think there's going to be something big to kick off the 50th on the Pyramid. 

1 hour ago, Earth_pig said:

How have people found out about the sets in the past, I remember seeing the killers by accident because I was watching Frank carter I think, don't tend to use my phone much at the festival.

The main danger of only finding secret sets by accident is Blossoms.

1 minute ago, AlexOvd said:

Do you think it will be an act to directly open the Pyramid or something mid day as Legend Slot? 

Same difference isn't it?

I think having Coldplay and Michael cut ribbon on the Pyramid at 11.00 Friday to kick off the festival's 50th anniversary is too good an opportunity to miss. It works for all parties - Coldplay get to be involved in the celebrations without the complaints of them taking yet another headline slot, the festival have a huge name and massive story to lead with, people who want to see Coldplay can and those who don't can stay in bed.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jparx said:

Mentioned it in another thread but I'm putting my chips on Radiohead.

I don't think I'd be able to contain my excitement if this happened. There is no other band I want to see more at Glastonbury. I still haven't got over the fact that if we went in 2017 we would have seen Royal Blood, The XX, Radiohead in a row. They also played my favourite album almost in its entirety, Ok Computer. 

Seeing them play at my favourite place in the world would be...heavenly. I can deal with despair, but it'll be the hope that kills me.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Talking about the NME awards last night, how much of a dick is Slowthai? Completely ruined his career in 1 night. 

I suspect he hasn't. Doing that live at something like the Brits would do but NME Award show, bits of mobile phone footage.... Katherine Ryan is not making a huge deal of it... he'll probably survive it.

8 minutes ago, billum said:

I've been wondering if, coz it's the 50th, they might have a Legend Slot on the Pyramid each day Fri, Sat, Sun

With the Aerosmith tour dates, its what I've been thinking as well. Someone larger than normal/special that the festival wouldn't normally get on a lower slot.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

If it is only 1 headliner who has played the festival before then I reckon it’ll be The 1975. 
Emilys comment is certainly open to interpretation though. She said “one has played before” but “only one has played before”. Felt like a bit more of a teaser or throwaway comment.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Played but not headlined, my money is on the comments relating to headlining.

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

With the Aerosmith tour dates, its what I've been thinking as well. Someone larger than normal/special that the festival wouldn't normally get on a lower slot.  

Isn't Tom Jones in contention? Could be Jones, Smith and DiRo, although I suspect only DiRo will get the full legend billing.

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I suspect he hasn't. Doing that live at something like the Brits would do but NME Award show, bits of mobile phone footage.... Katherine Ryan is not making a huge deal of it... he'll probably survive it.

Wasn't just that though, there's a video of him throwing a glass at someone in the crowd and trying to fight him before being ushered away by security. 

6 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Wasn't just that though, there's a video of him throwing a glass at someone in the crowd and trying to fight him before being ushered away by security. 

tbh fair play to whomever called him for being a complete c**t.... they picked his mic up called him a waste man then threw the mic back and a drink at him....

They should find out who he is and give him an award next year. 

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Same difference isn't it?

I think having Coldplay and Michael cut ribbon on the Pyramid at 11.00 Friday to kick off the festival's 50th anniversary is too good an opportunity to miss. It works for all parties - Coldplay get to be involved in the celebrations without the complaints of them taking yet another headline slot, the festival have a huge name and massive story to lead with, people who want to see Coldplay can and those who don't can stay in bed.

Yeah I've mentioned that a few times. Or even someone like Fatboy Slim - would be entirely different for him to do it but if he stuck to playing mainly his own stuff it'd be a great start to the festival. It's a different crowd but Shy FX opened Boomtown in 2018 and it was a superb set and went down a storm, even if it was 11am.

12 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Yeah but the Kath Ryan thing is what could have finished him. And she's been even more magnanimous about it now...

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/latest-news/slowthai-says-hes-not-a-hero-asks-nme-to-forward-award-to-katherine-ryan

The glass thing was ugly but not career ending.