Emily confirms "significant, big surprises"

ProperTea

1 hour ago, ProperTea said:

"Will these be surprises that are only revealed on the day? Like, it's Friday and guess who's on stage?"

"Yeah"

From 3 minutes and 10 seconds 

https://youtu.be/yKXh4p4PGHE

Exciting!

Interesting all 3 headliners are penciled in for 2021 (tho not signed on the dotted line), and only one(?) Has played the festival before.

13 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

RATM in a special guest 2nd from the top on the pyramid before Kenny. Black curtain and great suspense and just the intro from Testify starts from behind it before it flys up

Yeah, I can see that 

I need to banish this notion from my brain because there are some things you can want too much.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I reckon Blur. They did a cheeky reformation for the Africa Express thing, think theyll do the same for glasto

Yeah I think Blur.

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

She also suggests a female artist was going to announce herself on the night (although it seems that didn’t happen). Any ideas?

And the headliners for 2021 already lined up - 1 of whom has played before.

The 2021 headliner who's played before is Arctic Monkeys.

2 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Greta thurnburg given an 1hour pyramid slot but only uses some of it, introduces the 1975 who sing their songs for the remaining time.

That is my guess 

oh and guns and rose come and do some songs but not sure where.

If there's a four hour long TBA slot on the Pyramid we'll know exactly what's going down!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Interesting all 3 headliners are penciled in for 2021 (tho not signed on the dotted line), and only one(?) Has played the festival before.

I'm not sure, I wouldn't take that "one" as gospel. It sounded like the kind of thing I would say if I was a bit drunk and someone asked me a question I knew I wasn't supposed to answer: "I dunno *giggle* maybe....one?" 

I took it more as "at least one" anyway. 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Mentioned it in another thread but I'm putting my chips on Radiohead. They would certainly be a huge surprise since they're not active, but two of the band will probably be performing there anyway and others may well be attending, Emily and Michael both love them and call them the best headliner for 97 and they seem to be a band capable of getting together and performing without too much prep. 

Pure speculation and likely won't happen, but if I had to predict a "big surprise" that would be it.

Don't even get peoples hopes up like that!

8 minutes ago, Damon said:

Don't even get peoples hopes up like that!

Hey, Emily is setting the bar with her comments! 😝

Radiohead is a more realistic suggestion that, say, The Rolling Stones. Either way it's going to be someone surprising, so I don't think Radiohead are a more or less ridiculous suggestion than anyone else at this stage. 

Kings of Leon are strangely around the UK during Glasto - Finsbury Park on the Sunday. Think they’re in Europe somewhere Friday so potentially they could pop up somewhere Saturday. They’ve spoke about how they’d like to play again, a surprise set on the park wouldn’t be the worst although I know they aren’t universally loved on here.

58 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

RATM in a special guest 2nd from the top on the pyramid before Kenny. Black curtain and great suspense and just the intro from Testify starts from behind it before it flys up

Yeah, I can see that 

This is the new benchmark. Anything less and ill be dissapointed. Although maybe swap testify for know your enemy. close call though.

22 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Coldplay surely. They've been a bit over the top with the 'promise, we're not there'.

I wouldn't begrudge them doing a small set either. Love or hate them, they are the house band and it feels like a celebration they should be part of imo.

Coldplay are totally deserving of it ... however much they get slated for appearances ... they are very representative of the festival and anywhere other than pyramid headliner would be fantastic ... 

Pretty sure that Emily has ruled out secret sets on the smaller stages, specifically mentioning making the Pyramid field slightly larger to cope with special guests. Reckon we may see a couple of biggies. 

Emily also specifically mentioned 'the metal slot' being on a Friday and that someone massive had been booked for 2020, though 2019 would not have an act. Could that potentially be Rage subbing Kendrick? Or maybe Metallica? 

I know we thought we had Aerosmith down for it, but she did specifically state Friday was the metal slot day around the same time as stating the festival had booked someone huge for 2020. Metallica would fit that as well as being friends of the festival.

Just now, kingbadger said:

Pretty sure that Emily has ruled out secret sets on the smaller stages, specifically mentioning making the Pyramid field slightly larger to cope with special guests. Reckon we may see a couple of biggies. 

Emily also specifically mentioned 'the metal slot' being on a Friday and that someone massive had been booked for 2020, though 2019 would not have an act. Could that potentially be Rage subbing Kendrick? Or maybe Metallica? 

I know we thought we had Aerosmith down for it, but she did specifically state Friday was the metal slot day around the same time as stating the festival had booked someone huge for 2020. Metallica would fit that as well as being friends of the festival.

She called it the 'rock slot' and I don't remember the quote but I'm pretty sure it was 'usually on the Friday' lots of things could of changed regarding that.