Staying Off-Site and Shuttle Buses

JoBalls

So... it’s going to be a slightly different Glastonbury for me and my husband this year because I will be 32 weeks pregnant by the time the festival rolls around! This is our second child so I have a pretty good idea how huge I will be by then 🤣... on a normal year we would have considered not going but we couldn’t bear to give up our tickets for the 50th (and there ain’t no mountain high enough to make me voluntarily miss Diana Ross)!

We have decided that camping for five days is probably not the wisest idea so we have provisionally booked a BnB in Wells for the duration of the festival. I understand that there is a shuttle bus that runs between Wells and the festival bus station, and I just wondered if anyone had any experience of using it? Particularly the last bus of the night (at 00.30 last year)... is there room for everyone who wants to get on, or is there a risk of getting stranded on site? 

Basically we think that the shuttle bus will be our best option as it would drop us at PGA, whereas if we drive in there’s the risk of ending up having to waddle to and from the far end of the car parks each day. However if there’s the risk of getting stranded on site overnight with nowhere to sleep we might have to re-evaluate! 

Also if anyone has any experience of using a taxi to get off site at the end of the evening advice on that would also be welcome - I’ve heard the taxi rank is a nightmare to get to?

Thanks in advance ☺️

Edited by JoBalls

Not done that myself but took mrs morph heavily pregnant, stayed in caravan but went back fairly early each night.

I had to stay relatively sober and carry bags, push her up the hills but was still mega fun and was an eye opener to not be out my tiny mind all weekend. You can have sober fun, who knew!

good luck and your deffo making the right decision to still go but add comfort.

A good friend and regular part of our crew went last year at about 6 months pregnant. We stay in Tangerine Fields so had a lot more space than normal camping, but she still did Thursday - Sunday in a tent. And in that heat too 😬 I can’t offer any advice re shuttle buses or taxis, but I can tell you she still had an absolute blast. She was probably the most well looked after person on site too. All of us constantly checking if she was thirsty, hungry, needed someone to lean on for a wee rest. There was something quite cathartic in being off your face a bit, then making sure you’re heavily pregnant friend had enough water in her flask, then having another bump. Anyway, as long as you’ve got good support with you you’ll still enjoy it I say. 

Edited by Rubber Soldier
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, morph100 said:

Not done that myself but took mrs morph heavily pregnant, stayed in caravan but went back fairly early each night.

I had to stay relatively sober and carry bags, push her up the hills but was still mega fun and was an eye opener to not be out my tiny mind all weekend. You can have sober fun, who knew!

good luck and your deffo making the right decision to still go but add comfort.

That’s really good to hear!! A caravan would have been our first choice but unfortunately we found out we were expecting again about two weeks after the campervan tickets went on sale, and I don’t hold out much hope of getting one in the resale sadly!! 

One of my mates was there in 2016 and heavily pregnant, probably the worst possible year for it! They stayed in the tip field and found it manageable, not sure if it would work for you but would certainly offset the hassle and stress of travelling back and forth.

18 hours ago, JoBalls said:

So... it’s going to be a slightly different Glastonbury for me and my husband this year because I will be 32 weeks pregnant by the time the festival rolls around! This is our second child so I have a pretty good idea how huge I will be by then 🤣... on a normal year we would have considered not going but we couldn’t bear to give up our tickets for the 50th (and there ain’t no mountain high enough to make me voluntarily miss Diana Ross)!

We have decided that camping for five days is probably not the wisest idea so we have provisionally booked a BnB in Wells for the duration of the festival. I understand that there is a shuttle bus that runs between Wells and the festival bus station, and I just wondered if anyone had any experience of using it? Particularly the last bus of the night (at 00.30 last year)... is there room for everyone who wants to get on, or is there a risk of getting stranded on site? 

Basically we think that the shuttle bus will be our best option as it would drop us at PGA, whereas if we drive in there’s the risk of ending up having to waddle to and from the far end of the car parks each day. However if there’s the risk of getting stranded on site overnight with nowhere to sleep we might have to re-evaluate! 

Also if anyone has any experience of using a taxi to get off site at the end of the evening advice on that would also be welcome - I’ve heard the taxi rank is a nightmare to get to?

Thanks in advance ☺️

all I can advise is I had a mate staying off-site last year who was not pregnant but said the taxi rank was a bit of a mission

1 hour ago, JoBalls said:

That’s really good to hear!! A caravan would have been our first choice but unfortunately we found out we were expecting again about two weeks after the campervan tickets went on sale, and I don’t hold out much hope of getting one in the resale sadly!! 

I’d keep the faith with those ... lots of opportunities to come if other years are anything to go by 

16 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

all I can advise is I had a mate staying off-site last year who was not pregnant but said the taxi rank was a bit of a mission

That’s really helpful, if a non pregnant person thought that I’ve got no hope 😂

15 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d keep the faith with those ... lots of opportunities to come if other years are anything to go by 

I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for sure, thanks!!

3 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

That’s really helpful, if a non pregnant person thought that I’ve got no hope 😂

in fairness though he was usually leaving about 5/6am after an all day session so potentially you would be in a better state to make it to the taxis I think he stumbled most of the way to them

On 2/12/2020 at 5:11 AM, Rubber Soldier said:

A good friend and regular part of our crew went last year at about 6 months pregnant. We stay in Tangerine Fields so had a lot more space than normal camping, but she still did Thursday - Sunday in a tent. And in that heat too 😬 I can’t offer any advice re shuttle buses or taxis, but I can tell you she still had an absolute blast. She was probably the most well looked after person on site too. All of us constantly checking if she was thirsty, hungry, needed someone to lean on for a wee rest. There was something quite cathartic in being off your face a bit, then making sure you’re heavily pregnant friend had enough water in her flask, then having another bump. Anyway, as long as you’ve got good support with you you’ll still enjoy it I say. 

I hadn’t thought of Tangerine Fields!! All the official Glasto accommodation is sold out but that could be an option, I’ll look into it!

• 3 years later...