jump

What to ask at a job interview with a record label?

I've got a job interview with a big record label today (in their back office, not an agent or anything) and I'm in two minds what to ask them beyond the typical work related questions. Should I ask them how they pick out bands to sign, if they campaign for the acts to headline Glasto etc as it seems a shame to not ask these types of questions or if it comes off as too unprofessional.

7 hours ago, ian the worm said:

How did it go?

I’m still waiting on hearing back from them and right now I’m driving myself mad overthinking things. 

I know how that feels. Hope the interview process was useful in some way. Hopefully with a massive job offer and then you can SHINE LIKE THE STAR THAT YOU ARE!!!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Any News?

Nah nothing yet, I sent a follow up email to see what's up and they are still interviewing people.

I've worked in big corporate companies before and they take ridiculously long with these types of things. I'm in with a shot as they mentioned they are impressed with my technical skills during the interview so touchwood. Cheers for asking.

On 2/21/2020 at 8:34 PM, jump said:

Nah nothing yet, I sent a follow up email to see what's up and they are still interviewing people.

I've worked in big corporate companies before and they take ridiculously long with these types of things. I'm in with a shot as they mentioned they are impressed with my technical skills during the interview so touchwood. Cheers for asking.

Any further news on this? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Any further news on this? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Cheers! Still no news, the 1st round interviewing is being finished off this week so it's wait and see, I fucking hate waiting.

2 hours ago, jump said:

Cheers! Still no news, the 1st round interviewing is being finished off this week so it's wait and see, I fucking hate waiting.

Yes, the not knowing must be frustrating. I'd say that there must have been loads of people apply for that job. I once got a job after they had had 360+ applicants. I left the job two weeks later as it was mind numbingly dull. I doubt that the job that you are going for would fall in to that category though. Who wouldn't want to work for a record label.

All the best.

My company did a load of redundancies in Jan so I applied to another company - just in case.  It took me 5 weeks to get a rejection email from a 2h online application. Didn’t even get through to the phone interview stage. 

Luckily I kept my current job. 

On 2/11/2020 at 10:17 AM, jump said:

I've got a job interview with a big record label today (in their back office, not an agent or anything) and I'm in two minds what to ask them beyond the typical work related questions. Should I ask them how they pick out bands to sign, if they campaign for the acts to headline Glasto etc as it seems a shame to not ask these types of questions or if it comes off as too unprofessional.

Any news?

Nah, still nothing back from the label. I did have an interview with a book publisher yesterday though, before I left he was making sure I was interested I the role and free on the date for the next round of interviews so fingers crossed for that one.

9 hours ago, jump said:

Nah, still nothing back from the label. I did have an interview with a book publisher yesterday though, before I left he was making sure I was interested I the role and free on the date for the next round of interviews so fingers crossed for that one.

Nice fall back job, if it comes off. Still keeping things crossed for you.

The publisher one I didn't get as I was "too experienced" which fucking annoys me as why interview me in the first places?!

I'm guessing the record label job has been put on hold, right before it got mental with virus stuff the HR person said she would be giving me an update next week which was 2 weeks ago.

6 hours ago, jump said:

The publisher one I didn't get as I was "too experienced" which fucking annoys me as why interview me in the first places?!

I'm guessing the record label job has been put on hold, right before it got mental with virus stuff the HR person said she would be giving me an update next week which was 2 weeks ago.

How can somebody be classed as too experienced? Anything extra over is a benefit to an employer, surely. And yes, if that was their point of view, it was harsh and unnecessary to invite you to interview. One wonders if the job wasn't already lined up for someone, and that you and others may have been 'used' to show evidence of supposed fair play. I've seen enough of that happening in an organisation not to know that it doesn't go on.

I guess the record label has some sort of excuse with the corona outbreak. It's playing havoc with many businesses, as well as killing people. 

Oh well, good luck for the future in any case.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

How can somebody be classed as too experienced? Anything extra over is a benefit to an employer, surely. And yes, if that was their point of view, it was harsh and unnecessary to invite you to interview. One wonders if the job wasn't already lined up for someone, and that you and others may have been 'used' to show evidence of supposed fair play. I've seen enough of that happening in an organisation not to know that it doesn't go on.

I guess the record label has some sort of excuse with the corona outbreak. It's playing havoc with many businesses, as well as killing people. 

Oh well, good luck for the future in any case.

My take on "too experienced" is there was someone else cheaper.

For those asking I've heard back from the label...I didn't get the job. They chose another candidate who had "more relevant experience".  

On 4/3/2020 at 8:34 AM, jump said:

For those asking I've heard back from the label...I didn't get the job. They chose another candidate who had "more relevant experience".  

Oh, bollocks. Gutted for you jump. 

As they say though, fall down seven times, get up eight.

All the best.

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:39 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh, bollocks. Gutted for you jump. 

As they say though, fall down seven times, get up eight.

All the best.

Cheers.

I'm more upset about not getting this job because it means I'm stuck working for a company I can't stand till this virus stuff is over in a few months rather than not working for a record label. Still I should be grateful I have a job at the moment.

6 minutes ago, jump said:

Cheers.

I'm more upset about not getting this job because it means I'm stuck working for a company I can't stand till this virus stuff is over in a few months rather than not working for a record label. Still I should be grateful I have a job at the moment.

I know what you mean about working for a company you cannot stand. I worked for an organisation for 28 years non stop. A lot of those years we OK to good, but for several years at the end it was painful just being there. In the end I was able to orchestrate my own redundancy. That was a life saver as I was hanging on by my finger tips at that stage anyhow.