Acts playing consecutive years

Jack.194

Are there many instances of acts playing two years in a row (disregarding fallow years e.g. Liam Gallagher playing 2017 and 2019)?

I know it probably depends on the size of the act but are there any times when this has happened with a big-ish act?

Essentially, I’m desperately hoping for Rex Orange County to play, but I’m assuming it’s highly unlikely!

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Kate Tempest did 2017 and 2019.

Pretty sure Dub Pistols have played consecutive years

Think Kate has done almost every year in some guise.  She played 2015 and 2016 as well. 2016 just Thursday shows which she admitted was to get her and her friends some tickets. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Think Kate has done almost every year in some guise.  She played 2015 and 2016 as well. 2016 just Thursday shows which she admitted was to get her and her friends some tickets. 

That Thursday evening performance on the Hell stage in 2016 was flippin electric - dunno if the fact of it being Brexit referendum day made her lyrics even more resonant, but absolutely on fire. One of my favourite Festival moments.

Back on topic - Dua Lipa did both 2016 & 2017, slightly surprised to see both on the JP - I'd thought she'd moved up a bit by 2017.

A lot of acts seem to do end of cycle of first album > beginning cycle of next album the follow year if they've grown in popularity and will normally get bumped up a stage.

The smaller stages loads come back. What I'd be interested in is the same act on the same main stage year to year. 

I get the impression it happens when artists are on the up, and they jump to a higher billing on a larger stage. Also, if their debut album comes out between the two festivals thus increasing their fanbase significantly.

It's very rare for an act who've just played one of the bigger stages to return the following year.

6 hours ago, jimmillen said:

That Thursday evening performance on the Hell stage in 2016 was flippin electric - dunno if the fact of it being Brexit referendum day made her lyrics even more resonant, but absolutely on fire. One of my favourite Festival moments.

Back on topic - Dua Lipa did both 2016 & 2017, slightly surprised to see both on the JP - I'd thought she'd moved up a bit by 2017.

The Rum Shack one she did just before the Hell Stage one was amazing as well and the hug she gave me up by The Park Stage the following day when I was despondent about the referendum result was much appreciated too. 

You can find some acts that are on the ascendancy one year can be back the next but the bigger the act the less likely it is to happen. 

4 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Hobo Jones 

Supergrass did the Pyramid in 2003 and 2004.

Kasabian and The Killers both did 2004 and 2005 (and 2007).

Kings of Leon did 2003 and 2004.

I think it happens quite a lot outside the top of the bill.

Although Supergrass were a replacement for The Libertines in 2004.