Leaving during the Festival & Returning

JoeyT

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

3. Park nearby(ish) and cycle the rest of the way

4. Stomach the hit and splash £45 on a parking ticket

you could go for a bit of a combination of these 2 to save some time .... we cycle in from the carparks and leave our bikes in the lockup inside the festival ..... so going either way could easily save you 30mins on the trip 

2 hours ago, ErnestWorthing said:

If he's aware of his responsibilities then why is he complaining about not being able to go on the piss for a week with his mates, against the wishes of his wife, who is looking after his newborn child at home? Why is he suggesting he's going to go home and moan because he has to support the child he's brought into the world? Doesn't sound to me like he's aware of his responsibilities in the slightest.

I took a couple of years off the festival when my daughter was small, so I kind of get where you're coming from... but come ON!  Nobody comes on a Glastonbury forum to get told off for being a bad father and husband.  Wind yer neck in.

Having done a late coach on a Thursday before, I'd say arriving about 6pm then and leaving sometime after Sunday's headliner would be a good shout. 

Though if you usually go on Tuesday and instead leave it till Thursday afternoon, that seems like a good compromise. If you can get on site about 3pm Tuesday you'll still get an afternoon to bimble about before the main stages kick in.

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

Kidding. But. She basically just wants you there on Thursday night. I hope I'm not being out of turn when I say that sounds like a bit much. Can she really not do without you between Thursday lunchtime and Friday morning, to the extent she's willing to completely interrupt your festival experience for it? I guess you could leave your tent up etc., and Thursday night isn't the worst not to be there, but flippin' hec, woman!

I think it was officially decreed many moons ago that Thursday is better than Sunday (not that I still hold a grudge).

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I took a couple of years off the festival when my daughter was small, so I kind of get where you're coming from... but come ON!  Nobody comes on a Glastonbury forum to get told off for being a bad father and husband.  Wind yer neck in.

Plot twist - Ernest is Joey's wife in disguise?

Taking care of young children alone is hard. I didn’t show up at a festival until my youngest was 4. Any earlier I’d of felt bad for Mrs Hare as that’s a lot to manage on top of work etc.

I’d show on the Friday morning and go full pelt for three nights.

Edited by March Hare

If it's any consolation @JoeyT I was very close to being in a not dissimilar situation this year. 

One of Mrs Antilles and I's close friend is getting married this year, on Glasto Saturday. It was pretty much a given that I'd be going, to such an extent that on ticket day once I'd bagged my tickets as well as booking my return flights from Stockholm to Bristol I also booked a flight from Bristol to Edinburgh (07:10, Saturday morning) and from Glasgow back to Bristol (14:40, Sunday afternoon). 

I was looking straight down the barrel of an itinerary of;

• Wednesday and Thursday - go wild
  • Friday - take it easy and book a taxi to the airport at circa 4am
  • Saturday - get through a wedding in Glasgow
  • Sunday - try to get back in time for the sub and headliner 

Unbelievably, there was only one potential get-out clause with the wife - "if Paul McCartney is playing Saturday obviously you can't miss that". Of course that seemed pretty unlikely until the day he was announced so I was mentally preparing to do the above. Then boom, Macca gets announced and a few hours later I get a text from our mate saying basically "don't you dare miss Paul McCartney for my wedding", which made me feel slightly less of a dick for missing it.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Out of interest @JoeyT, how old is your daughter now/at the time of the festival?

4 weeks old currently so 6 months come the festival.

Ultimately the length of time I spend at the festival will of course be governed by how she is at the time with sleep and so on.

We are fortunate enough to have 2 sets of parents who are both retired and live very close by so I should add my good wife will not be left completely stranded!

Edited by JoeyT

Just now, JoeyT said:

What time do the queues at the gates tend to die down on the Wednesday? 

I guess the most likely entrance point for me will be gate A.

I worked that gate this year, was fairly quiet during the afternoon.

Mate, your kid is pretty young. Do what your other half asks. More important things than a festival.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

What about negotiating to turn up Thursday night and sack off all this coming and going stuff?  Traffic will be easier

It might end that way.

I think the tradition of watching Mik Artistik's CN bandstand with all my friends on the Wednesday is what sways me towards coming home then going back.

The coming and going isn't an issue due to the proximity to the festival we live. 

As a lot of folk have said, leaving so soon after arriving and getting back again for the Friday seems like a bit of a ball-ache. If you can’t negotiate arriving on Thursday, then go really early on the Friday.

If it were me I wouldn’t enjoy the Wednesday so much,  knowing that I couldn’t really “let myself go” having to return home the next day (Always start to feel this way about 8pm on the Sunday!)

My missus went to Benidorm for a long weekend with the lasses when our little one was 5 months old, leaving me with the boyo. I then went on a football jolly to Düsseldorf a few weeks later leaving her and the boy.
No friends, work colleagues or family members from either side batted an eyelash about it. Which is exactly how it should be. Some of the snarky judgements on here seem well off.

Best of luck Joey!!

• Upvote 3

I've been in a very similar position when my children were young. I went for the whole festival and my partner had a week away with some friends later in the year. Glastonbury is only 1 week out of the the whole year. It's really important that everyone has some "me time". You can both be parents for the other 51 weeks of the year.

• Upvote 1