Leaving during the Festival & Returning

JoeyT

Following the birth of our daughter the duration of time I spend at the festival is very much up for debate with my Wife so I thought i'd put it out to the masses.

Looking for tips on leaving / coming back during the festival as this is as far as negotiations have got so far although i'm still hoping for that golden handshake to do my usual Tues - Mon stint! Her current offer is for me to go down Wednesday mid - late morning and go home Thursday lunchtime. Then come back to the festival Friday late morning and then return home after the headliner finishes on Sunday night. I should add that we live reasonably close to the site, my friends will take my gear with them / put up my tent next to their campervans which makes this all possible.

My options are as follows:

1. Source a village car parking pass which is a small chance but certainly not beyond feasible. My preferred option.

2. Persuade the wife to drop me off / collect me from the Bath and west site as & when.

3. Park nearby(ish) and cycle the rest of the way

4. Stomach the hit and splash £45 on a parking ticket

Does anyone have any experiences / tips for the above? Times to avoid arriving / departing, which way to attack the car parks and so on...

Edited by JoeyT

Kidding. But. She basically just wants you there on Thursday night. I hope I'm not being out of turn when I say that sounds like a bit much. Can she really not do without you between Thursday lunchtime and Friday morning, to the extent she's willing to completely interrupt your festival experience for it? I guess you could leave your tent up etc., and Thursday night isn't the worst not to be there, but flippin' hec, woman!

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Kidding. But. She basically just wants you there on Thursday night. I hope I'm not being out of turn when I say that sounds like a bit much. Can she really not do without you between Thursday lunchtime and Friday morning, to the extent she's willing to completely interrupt your festival experience for it? I guess you could leave your tent up etc., and Thursday night isn't the worst not to be there, but flippin' hec, woman!

I think it's a matter of principle for her. She wants me to realise that I can't go swanning off like the birth never happened!

I think (hope) that she will eventually come round to the fact that letting me stay the duration is less hassle than me coming home then moaning...

If your mates are sorting your tent I'd just go on Friday morning tbh. Wednesday is great and all but for me it wouldn't be worth the hassle of having to go back and forth on the Thursday/Friday morning. Better to rock up fresh as a daisy on Friday morning and make the most of the weekend. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think it's a matter of principle for her. She wants me to realise that I can't go swanning off like the birth never happened!

I think (hope) that she will eventually come round to the fact that letting me stay the duration is less hassle than me coming home then moaning...

I'd say option 2, hopefully when it comes down to it she cant be arsed faffing about picking you up

Depends very much on her personality, your relationship and breastfeeding or not, but it may help to insist she gets a long weekend away another time to do something she really wants to do, when you'll look after the little one. It's the least you can do when you're away partying for the best part of a week 😉 

Maybe not so useful if what she really wants is to go to the festival too!

Oh, and your option 2? Absolutely no chance 🤣

Can you not offer her 5 days to go away with the girls or something in exchange?

Congrats on the birth and good luck anyway. 

This is why I'm not married though - such demands and compromises are not for everyone!

40 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Depends very much on her personality, your relationship and breastfeeding or not, but it may help to insist she gets a long weekend away another time to do something she really wants to do, when you'll look after the little one. It's the least you can do when you're away partying for the best part of a week 😉 

Maybe not so useful if what she really wants is to go to the festival too!

Oh, and your option 2? Absolutely no chance 🤣

This is a great idea. Brownie points 👍🏻

43 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

If your mates are sorting your tent I'd just go on Friday morning tbh. Wednesday is great and all but for me it wouldn't be worth the hassle of having to go back and forth on the Thursday/Friday morning. Better to rock up fresh as a daisy on Friday morning and make the most of the weekend. 

@JoeyT This would be my advice as well. 

Once you’re there you won’t want to leave. 

So either arrive on site late Thurs or early Fri. 

couple of points

Sack Wednesday off. Great day but not worth the thought of leaving the following day (or if you did go home on the Thursday  then just sleep until it is time to come back on Friday - Joke)

So if you sack off Wednesday, is there then a chance to come down late on Thursday, say in the evening. Then you have a bit of the night and you are there ready for Friday.

Or - Take the little un with you for a day. drop em back home and come back down

If your wife is just seeing if you would leave the festival, that is a little bit of a weird test.

Edited by fred quimby

I would just do the one trip - if that means arriving Friday morning and leaving on Sunday evening, you'll still have a great time. I personally wouldn't be able to enjoy the Wednesday all that much, knowing I was going to have to go back home on the Thursday.

You never know... by being so agreeable and only being away for 2 nights, you may be granted a bonus night and either get there Thursday pm, or leave Monday am.... Good behavior and all that.

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Tough love here:

You're incredibly lucky to be going at all. You're the Father of a small child that needs a lot of time and effort to support, both her and your wife.  Suggesting that you'd come home and then moan about it rather than getting stuck in is really selfish. Thank your lucky stars, do as you're told, and make sure you are doing everything you can for you baby, wife and house between now and then.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

Tough love here:

You're incredibly lucky to be going at all. You're the Father of a small child that needs a lot of time and effort to support, both her and your wife.  Suggesting that you'd come home and then moan about it rather than getting stuck in is really selfish. Thank your lucky stars, do as you're told, and make sure you are doing everything you can for you baby, wife and house between now and then.

I'm sure he's aware of the responsibilities he has and the post was asking for logistical advice rather than life coaching.

And 'do as your told' ?

Really?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

I'm sure he's aware of the responsibilities he has and the post was asking for logistical advice rather than life coaching.

And 'do as your told' ?

Really?

If he's aware of his responsibilities then why is he complaining about not being able to go on the piss for a week with his mates, against the wishes of his wife, who is looking after his newborn child at home? Why is he suggesting he's going to go home and moan because he has to support the child he's brought into the world? Doesn't sound to me like he's aware of his responsibilities in the slightest.

5 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

If he's aware of his responsibilities then why is he complaining about not being able to go on the piss for a week with his mates, against the wishes of his wife, who is looking after his newborn child at home? Why is he suggesting he's going to go home and moan because he has to support the child he's brought into the world? Doesn't sound to me like he's aware of his responsibilities in the slightest.

Erm OK then.  Righty-ho!

9 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

There's a difference between being aware of your responsibilities and asking for advice regarding travel to and from the festival whilst it's on my friend.

Of course there are a lot of factors which will have a bearing on the decision we make as a family so it's quite foolish to make assumptions on the type of person I am over an internet forum...

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

There's a difference between being aware of your responsibilities and asking for advice regarding travel to and from the festival whilst it's on my friend.

Of course there are a lot of factors which will have a bearing on the decision we make as a family so it's quite foolish to make assumptions on the type of person I am over an internet forum...

Hiya Joey.

So, I've got quite a bit of experience of this and have dipped in and out of the festival a few times due to childcare commitments. What with having loads of kids and all that.

Living just outside Andover (NW Hampshire for those who don't know) and being about an hour door-to-car park field away obviously helps.

Bearing in mind I'm a Tuesday night queuer, in recent years I've:

1. Gone down Tuesday evening. In and set up by 8am to 9am-ish on Wednesday. Spent all Wednesday day at the festival and gone home on Wednesday night. Actually went back to work on Thursday (utterly bizarre) and then me and Mrs Woffy went back down on Thursday evening when we had child care. Left late on Sunday, quite a bit after the headliners. Meant me not drinking on Sunday (which wasn't the worst considering my consumption over the previous days).

2. Same as above but picked Mrs Woffy up early on the Friday morning.

3. Both arrived Thursday during the day. Mates set our tent up for us after queuing on Tuesday night. Swerved the horrific weather getting in that year: 2016?

4. Last year Mrs Woffy was 7.5 months pregnant and put her ticket back in the pot. But she and my mother in law dropped off mini-Woffy on Sunday morning. I'd packed my stuff up shitting early on Sunday, wheeled it to the bus / Gate A on the pushchair. Met them at B&W Showground. Dropped stuff off, brought mini-Woffy and pushchair (+day rucksack with stuff for a 3 year old) back to site and had a brilliant Sunday, although 6 hours in the Kidz Field. Again, didn't drink on the Sunday but didn't mind.

If you can do any variation on these and need more details, let me know. If you drive home / away from site and then drive back you often feel like you're gonna be parked miles away. But with minimal - if any stuff - to bring back in again it's a doddle: walking an extra field of car park is nothing compared to lugging a tonne of stuff for 5 days. Plus you can bring booze in with you piecemeal rather than all in one go.

Thursday evening (in time for a decent night of fun) until Sunday post headliners (3 nights) is pretty decent if you can manage it.

Good luck.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Hiya Joey.

So, I've got quite a bit of experience of this and have dipped in and out of the festival a few times due to childcare commitments. What with having loads of kids and all that.

Living just outside Andover (NW Hampshire for those who don't know) and being about an hour door-to-car park field away obviously helps.

Bearing in mind I'm a Tuesday night queuer, in recent years I've:

1. Gone down Tuesday evening. In and set up by 8am to 9am-ish on Wednesday. Spent all Wednesday day at the festival and gone home on Wednesday night. Actually went back to work on Thursday (utterly bizarre) and then me and Mrs Woffy went back down on Thursday evening when we had child care. Left late on Sunday, quite a bit after the headliners. Meant me not drinking on Sunday (which wasn't the worst considering my consumption over the previous days).

2. Same as above but picked Mrs Woffy up early on the Friday morning.

3. Both arrived Thursday during the day. Mates set our tent up for us after queuing on Tuesday night. Swerved the horrific weather getting in that year: 2016?

4. Last year Mrs Woffy was 7.5 months pregnant and put her ticket back in the pot. But she and my mother in law dropped off mini-Woffy on Sunday morning. I'd packed my stuff up shitting early on Sunday, wheeled it to the bus / Gate A on the pushchair. Met them at B&W Showground. Dropped stuff off, brought mini-Woffy and pushchair (+day rucksack with stuff for a 3 year old) back to site and had a brilliant Sunday, although 6 hours in the Kidz Field. Again, didn't drink on the Sunday but didn't mind.

If you can do any variation on these and need more details, let me know. If you drive home / away from site and then drive back you often feel like you're gonna be parked miles away. But with minimal - if any stuff - to bring back in again it's a doddle: walking an extra field of car park is nothing compared to lugging a tonne of stuff for 5 days. Plus you can bring booze in with you piecemeal rather than all in one go.

Thursday evening (in time for a decent night of fun) until Sunday post headliners (3 nights) is pretty decent if you can manage it.

Good luck.

The sort of post I was after.

Thanks for taking the time to write it :D