Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds...

gooner1990

I really like Noel's solo stuff - my setlist.fm tells me I've seen him 13 times over the past 11 years. I enjoyed the set a lot, but I do think he could've elevated it to a top level set if he'd done more of the High Flying Birds stuff people know.

I find starting with the first 4 tracks off a near 5 year old album (wow just realised how long its been out!) a little odd. One of my favourite albums and She Taught Me How To Fly is one of my favourite songs he's done but combined it was a really strange choice to open a Glastonbury set.

I know he took the piss a bit and acknowledged it, but adding If I Had a Gun, In the Heat of the Moment and maybe The Ballad of the Mighty I in there as a sort of career spanning HFB set for his one and only Pyramid performance solo would've probably increased the crowd interest before the Oasis tracks. Dead in the Water seemed to get people's attention though. 

I enjoy the musicianship on the songs he played, but people weren't remotely interested until the Oasis tracks. Maybe that would've been the case whatever he played. 

4 hours ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Thought Noel's set was superb, the HFB play with a much more mature sound and this gives his songs a welcome modern twist, especially with the tones the backing singers give

.  Shouldnt compare, but i'd much rather listen to Noel do his thing than Liam shouting at me while still thinking its 1997. I was in the crowd for liam in 2019 and it was awful. 

I wish noel had done live forever though,  his recent re-incarnation of it for BBC is a thing of absolute beauty. 

Agree on all of that, including the Live Forever bit (in place of Whatever for me, which didn't quite work). Wouldn't have minded Flying on the Ground or If I Had a Gun from HFB either. I pencilled Noel in mainly due to Macca proximity and because I haven't seen him before, but really enjoyed it.

I really do hope Oasis never get back together and if they did not play glasto as the first gig as it could get embarrassing very quickly,  like the wembley familiar to millions gig that was a complete car crash. 

I could see liam getting pissed and then start mouthing off towards noel as he does on a daily basis on twitter and there would be carnage and potential for violence. career then over for both.

Has anyone ever stopped a set for fighting at glasto ? I remember carter USM in 92 were scrapping with security as they were dragged off stage as their hearline set got cut short .

With his back catalogue, it's easy to sit and pick tunes he should/shouldn't have played. I think The Masterplan would have been quite something on Pyramid but, all in all, it was very good.

I had the added bonus of a TV appearance. A random lad leaned to me just before McCartney came on to tell me I'd been on the big screen. He seemed more buzzing about it than I was 😄 very enjoyable

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Should have done the Masterplan.

Binned off the importance of being Idle. Never liked it.

It's Little by Little I could live without but according to setlist fm he plays that all the time

2 hours ago, StuwieG said:

Doesn’t look like his setlist has changed for a while now. 

He used to do a quality little of version of Digsys Dinner but not done it since 2015! Think that’s the last time I seen him. 

His version of Champagne Supernova at that time was great as well. Also Fade Away. Castlefield Bowl 2015 was the best Noel gig I've seen - great atmosphere, though just 6 Oasis tracks looking back! https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds/2015/castlefield-bowl-manchester-england-1bf6816c.html.

Half the world away was incredible on Saturday. Loved the "real royal family...from Manchester" intro too.

Echoing the Masterplan comments- thought it would've been first on the list for the Pyramid

Edited by efcfanwirral

15 hours ago, willgooneday said:

To be fair that's surely exactly the sort of thing you would take to the desert island? So you can at least here your son's voice. 

Depends if you like your son. Some of them are total c**ts. 

Alois Hitler didn't pick his sons stuff when he was on DID. 

I remember - and this may date me younger than I wish to appear - rushing out to buy The Death of You and Me on a CD single, my very first one. (La Roux's debut record was my first album.)

Haven't spun the NGHFB hits record if only because some of the stronger songs were omitted entirely, but get the sense that he may well be gearing up to try a few shows where he either plays no Oasis material or limits it to the encore.

That being said, that would be the kind of affair he would have to promote as such. If he'd rocked up to this summer tour and played just over a dozen NGHFB tracks with no Oasis, there would have been riots.