Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds...

gooner1990

9 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Does anyone find the criticisms of Noel a bit OTT? I feel like people will go out of their way to tell you how they’re not into Oasis or the solo stuff as if to be of some sort of elitist music taste. Are they really any more middle of the road than say Foo Fighters who seem to get a lot of love or The Killers? 

I've been thinking about this a lot over the last couple of weeks. I've just moved back to the UK after a couple of decades away (aside from holidays back). I had no idea just how ubiquitous and prevalent Oasis are in almost every social situation. It's fucking inescapable, can't walk into a pub without some c**t murdering 'Don't Look Back in Anger'. I don't think they're any worse than the other acts you mention, although to be honest, I've never knowingly heard a Foo Fighters song, but Oasis are just fucking everywhere, to an extent I'd never realised before, and like anything, overexposure leads to highlighting the flaws in it.

10 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I've been thinking about this a lot over the last couple of weeks. I've just moved back to the UK after a couple of decades away (aside from holidays back). I had no idea just how ubiquitous and prevalent Oasis are in almost every social situation. It's fucking inescapable, can't walk into a pub without some c**t murdering 'Don't Look Back in Anger'. I don't think they're any worse than the other acts you mention, although to be honest, I've never knowingly heard a Foo Fighters song, but Oasis are just fucking everywhere, to an extent I'd never realised before, and like anything, overexposure leads to highlighting the flaws in it.

Best thing is I find the overexposure only comes from a handful of songs, and really only one or two with the one you mentioned plus Wonderwall. The real gems are generally not everywhere unless you look for them by listening to Radio X etc. So while I hate those two songs, I've never been pushed into hating the others 

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Best thing is I find the overexposure only comes from a handful of songs, and really only one or two with the one you mentioned plus Wonderwall. The real gems are generally not everywhere unless you look for them by listening to Radio X etc. So while I hate those two songs, I've never been pushed into hating the others 

100 percent this. I think if I was to do a totally selfish ideal Oasis set I wouldn’t have Wonderwall or Don’t Look Back in Anger in there myself. Seen them do them enjoyed them but there’s so many I’ve never had the chance to see them play. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Does anyone find the criticisms of Noel a bit OTT? I feel like people will go out of their way to tell you how they’re not into Oasis or the solo stuff as if to be of some sort of elitist music taste. Are they really any more middle of the road than say Foo Fighters who seem to get a lot of love or The Killers? 

100%.

I think because since his 'comeback', Liam has been seen as the 'man of the people' - it's almost become fashionable to take part in their sibling rivalry and choose sides. His third record was outstanding, but a lot people choose to just immediately write it off. I suspect most haven't even listened, they've just seen it as a Noel solo record and that's that. There's also the crowd who brand him as a Tory, because he has some coin. The guy's said he doesn't vote at all, odd how people label him because he's done well for himself.

At the end of the day, he's one of the most successful songwriters of modern times. Yeah, he doesn't offer as much as Liam does live. He never will, but he's musically superior and has put out three very successful records.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

100%.

I think because since his 'comeback', Liam has been seen as the 'man of the people' - it's almost become fashionable to take part in their sibling rivalry and choose sides. His third record was outstanding, but a lot people choose to just immediately write it off. I suspect most haven't even listened, they've just seen it as a Noel solo record and that's that. There's also the crowd who brand him as a Tory, because he has some coin. The guy's said he doesn't vote at all, odd how people label him because he's done well for himself.

At the end of the day, he's one of the most successful songwriters of modern times. Yeah, he doesn't offer as much as Liam does live. He never will, but he's musically superior and has put out three very successful records.

Looks like they'll get a chance to hear a fair chunk of it opening the set from the latest setlists! Can only imagine the reaction of those who haven't listened to Noel when he comes on to Fort Knox!! Then when they get told its the end of the world in French a couple of songs later.

Love that album - going to get the vinyl out tonight. I'm sure that'll cement my choice vs Olivia Rodrigo...

Edited by efcfanwirral

• 3 weeks later...

Probably against the popular opinion on here, but I absolutely loved seeing Noel do his set in the evening sunshine on the Pyramid, so many beautiful moments! His singing was superb, and his band were so tight! ... It's taken an age for him to do Glasto solo, but it was worth the wait.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Probably against the popular opinion on here, but I absolutely loved seeing Noel do his set in the evening sunshine on the Pyramid, so many beautiful moments! His singing was superb, and his band were so tight! ... It's taken an age for him to do Glasto solo, but it was worth the wait.

I really enjoyed it, and was 1000x better than the 2004 Oasis Pyramid show.

I quite enjoyed it to be honest.  Highlight was however when one of our group said "don't you think he looks like Parker from Thunderbirds?"  Can't not see it now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I quite enjoyed it to be honest.  Highlight was however when one of our group said "don't you think he looks like Parker from Thunderbirds?"  Can't not see it now.

😂.  Parker, That’s a good un! Yes we enjoyed it as well. Maybe too many folk were expecting an oasis karaoke. Possibly   could have done a headliner on the other stage rather than a late afternoon. 

Not seen a bad NGHFB show, and despite his assertion that the crowd had to wait for the Oasis material, there weren't too many solo duds in there. Dead in the Water might be on a par with any of his other stripped-back ballads from the nineties heyday. (That's back in the news this week because Bono picked it as a choice on Desert Island Discs, I believe?)

38 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Really enjoyed Noel's set, Half The World Away was gorgeous. 

Yeah we really enjoyed Noel and I wasn't really bothered about watching but wanted a good view for Macca 👏👏👏 he sounded great aswell and my favourite song is Were on our way now..the backing singers were excellent 

Thought Noel's set was superb, the HFB play with a much more mature sound and this gives his songs a welcome modern twist, especially with the tones the backing singers give

.  Shouldnt compare, but i'd much rather listen to Noel do his thing than Liam shouting at me while still thinking its 1997. I was in the crowd for liam in 2019 and it was awful. 

I wish noel had done live forever though,  his recent re-incarnation of it for BBC is a thing of absolute beauty. 

Edited by TheGoodWillOut

Was heading back to our tent in Big Ground for supplies and as we got to the path at the back of The Pyramid, he launched into Wonderwall. 

Perfect timing. Stuck around for the rest of the set.

What I’ve seen of Noel and Liam at Glasto, if they reformed it’d get the biggest crowd that field has ever seen. 

22 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What I’ve seen of Noel and Liam at Glasto, if they reformed it’d get the biggest crowd that field has ever seen. 

No chance whatsoever

A bigger crowd than Macca, Dolly or the Stones? 

They didn't get the biggest last time.