Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds...

gooner1990

10 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

NG is not silly, he will know with a large audience in front of him and watching at home (esp if leading into Macca) to put on a good show with plenty of Oasis singalongs..

Remember him being interviewed coming off stage at some festival or other, his quote was something like "It's a festival, play the hits and fuck off".

9 hours ago, FakeEmpire said:

I know it's not 'cool' right now but I like  Noel's HFB.   Saw them on the first record tour in 2012 and loved it.   Since then, the solo output has become more interesting so I'm fully up for this. 

Course it's not cool. He's a white, middle-aged, straight male.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Remember him being interviewed coming off stage at some festival or other, his quote was something like "It's a festival, play the hits and fuck off".

Quite. I remember seeing that. It literally was microphone in face immediately as he came off stage wasn't it? Think it may have been Reading/Leeds.

I wish Paul Weller would get this. Nobody's really that interested in your new album here. If we were, we'd have bought tickets for your Royal Albert Hall gig. Please play Down in the Tube Station (at Midnight) or Butterfly Collector or Strange Town.

I am a huge Noel Gallagher fan. Loved Oasis. And then I saw that MTV Unplugged performance. From that moment on I was all, "please sack Liam". (* see footnote).

Never happened but we got Noel going solo (well kind of).

That first NGHFB album was everything I'd hoped for. Just loved (and still love) it. Though I have to say, I would love to hear Liam doing the vocals for some of the tracks. Particularly Record Machine. 

Just love these couple of, "a man, a guitar, a voice" performances.

That The Death Of You And Me is just suicidal :) So dark. Way slower tempo than the album version.

Anyway, the next NGHFB album was OK but not as good imo. Do The Right Stuff was a great change of direction. WBTM however? Too much of a change of direction for me. I think NG is going through his Paul Weller Style Council phase atm.

Please play the hits. The jolly ones. The singalongs. Bring back Champagne Supernova to the setlist. That tune just builds. And YES Little By Little. Love that tune. Really don't get the hate for it. How about Slide Away?

NG is the master of the football chant singalong chorus afaic.

This has the potential to be one of the greatest singalong three or four hours in history. I hope it isn't just a rumour.

*footnote: LG is one of rocks great vocalists. It kind of goes: Plant, Mercury, Lydon, Rose, Gallagher. Nobody can spit the word "sunshine" quite like Liam.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Quite. I remember seeing that. It literally was microphone in face immediately as he came off stage wasn't it? Think it may have been Reading/Leeds.

I wish Paul Weller would get this. Nobody's really that interested in your new album here. If we were, we'd have bought tickets for your Royal Albert Hall gig. Please play Down in the Tube Station (at Midnight) or Butterfly Collector or Strange Town.

I am a huge Noel Gallagher fan. Loved Oasis. And then I saw that MTV Unplugged performance. From that moment on I was all, "please sack Liam". (* see footnote).

Never happened but we got Noel going solo (well kind of).

That first NGHFB album was everything I'd hoped for. Just loved (and still love) it. Though I have to say, I would love to hear Liam doing the vocals for some of the tracks. Particularly Record Machine. 

Just love these couple of, "a man, a guitar, a voice" performances.

That The Death Of You And Me is just suicidal :) So dark. Way slower tempo than the album version.

Anyway, the next NGHFB album was OK but not as good imo. Do The Right Stuff was a great change of direction. WBTM however? Too much of a change of direction for me. I think NG is going through his Paul Weller Style Council phase atm.

Please play the hits. The jolly ones. The singalongs. Bring back Champagne Supernova to the setlist. That tune just builds. And YES Little By Little. Love that tune. Really don't get the hate for it. How about Slide Away?

NG is the master of the football chant singalong chorus afaic.

This has the potential to be one of the greatest singalong three or four hours in history. I hope it isn't just a rumour.

*footnote: LG is one of rocks great vocalists. It kind of goes: Plant, Mercury, Lydon, Rose, Gallagher. Nobody can spit the word "sunshine" quite like Liam.

I agree with you to an extent, as someone who has seen both Weller and Noel live multiple times, there are times I wish they would play more of their hits, especially Weller as I am too young to of ever seen The Jam, so have never and will likely never have the enjoyment of seen some of their songs live, but I also like a lot of his solo stuff and understand he is someone that doesn't look to the past much and just focuses on the music he is making at the time and if people don't like it he doesn't seem to really care, and I can appreciate that, so he will never change. I do agree with you that Noel is slowly becoming the same, slowly just pushing out more Oasis songs from his setlists or at least it seems that way to me to focus on the music he is making now, and push that heavily to his audience as well. For Oasis classics I got to Liam's gigs as he is someone that lives in the past and is always about Oasis...the gigs are polar opposites but I know what I am getting from each of them. I do however like that Noel occasionally changes what Oasis song's he does play, obviously there are the staples of DLBIA etc. but is willing to mix others around. Whereas Weller seems to always play the same The Jam songs, which I do wish he would rotate from time to time.

I do agree that those acoustic videos are amazing! and show just how talented he is. I feel his 1st and 3rd albums were great, the 2nd didn't do as much for me but there are tunes on there I like. I am happy with his change of direction with his 3rd album, showing he isn't a one trick pony and that he wants to get away from that Oasis sound

Here is the set list last time I saw him (At Blenheim Palace), and what a gig it was even with 6 Oasis songs out of 22:

Fort Knox

Holy Mountain

Keep On Reaching

It's a Beautiful World

In the Heat of the Moment

Riverman

Ballad of the Mighty I

If I Had a Gun...

Dream On

Little by Little (Oasis cover)

The Importance of Being Idle (Oasis cover)

If Love Is the Law

Dead in the Water

Be Careful What You Wish For

She Taught Me How to Fly

Half the World Away (Oasis cover)

Wonderwall (Oasis cover)

AKA... What a Life!

Encore:

The Right Stuff

Go Let It Out (Oasis cover)

Don't Look Back in Anger (Oasis cover)

All You Need Is Love (The Beatles cover)

I am hoping he subs Macca, cause what a run that would be of singalongs (Fingers crossed)

• Like 1

I'm not sure NG will completely follow the Weller career path, but its natural that the early hits will peter out as the solo work continues. Regarding Weller, its not like his solo work is irrelevant, most albums charted at No 1, other were close, and his solo tours pretty much always sell out. He plays enough Jam and TSC to keep the gammons happy but he has been solo longer than any other period of his career. Anyone who 'gets' him will know this. I saw him at a Forest gig last summer where a large number of folk there were locals who take a picnic along to anyone they might of heard of .... there was a lot of blank faces through much of his set when they weren't getting 'Snap' .

Regarding Liam - yep plenty of Oasis hits and I haven't counted but whenever I've seen him its been a big part about the new/solo work, yes the new stuff is derivitive, but the gigs are not just greatest hits sets of the 'sis. 

I saw NGHFB at the Downs Festival in Bristol.  My main memory of that night was a woman near me tapping me on the shoulder and saying "I hope you don't mind me saying, but you look like you are really enjoying this, you seem so completely mesmorised by it",  and that would be a weird enough thing to say to someone, but I'd actually spent the last 3 or 4 minutes thinking to myself "fucking hell, Little By Little is so boring".

16 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

I'm not sure NG will completely follow the Weller career path, but its natural that the early hits will peter out as the solo work continues. Regarding Weller, its not like his solo work is irrelevant, most albums charted at No 1, other were close, and his solo tours pretty much always sell out. He plays enough Jam and TSC to keep the gammons happy but he has been solo longer than any other period of his career. Anyone who 'gets' him will know this. I saw him at a Forest gig last summer where a large number of folk there were locals who take a picnic along to anyone they might of heard of .... there was a lot of blank faces through much of his set when they weren't getting 'Snap' .

Regarding Liam - yep plenty of Oasis hits and I haven't counted but whenever I've seen him its been a big part about the new/solo work, yes the new stuff is derivitive, but the gigs are not just greatest hits sets of the 'sis. 

Had a similar experience with Weller, may of been the same gig saw him at Cannock Chase Forest last year, loads of locals went and it was kind of set on a hill, so all the locals took camping chairs and blankets and sat on the hill blank, whilst there was maybe a couple of hundred if that standing at the front at the bottom of the hill, can't complain too much as it meant I got a great spot, 2nd row pretty much centre of the stage...was a great gig regardless 

8 minutes ago, uscore said:

I saw NGHFB at the Downs Festival in Bristol.  My main memory of that night was a woman near me tapping me on the shoulder and saying "I hope you don't mind me saying, but you look like you are really enjoying this, you seem so completely mesmorised by it",  and that would be a weird enough thing to say to someone, but I'd actually spent the last 3 or 4 minutes thinking to myself "fucking hell, Little By Little is so boring".

At the gig at Blenheim Palace, the guy in front told me and my dad 1 song into the gig to stop singing as it was all he could hear and couldn't hear the music, we continued to sing our hearts out and he stood there the whole time arms crossed not moving or singing, he seemed really miserable and I thought he must of been in the wrong place. I couldn't even hear myself singing over the music so how he could I don't know

8 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Had a similar experience with Weller, may of been the same gig saw him at Cannock Chase Forest last year, loads of locals went and it was kind of set on a hill, so all the locals took camping chairs and blankets and sat on the hill blank, whilst there was maybe a couple of hundred if that standing at the front at the bottom of the hill, can't complain too much as it meant I got a great spot, 2nd row pretty much centre of the stage...was a great gig regardless 

Mine was at Westonbirt near Tetbury, so lots of folk in hunter wellies, barbour jackets and red or yellow cord trousers, and a section of the local 'rugger buggers' in for the beery bantz.  :lol:

Good set though, Stone Foundation coming in for Move On Up toward the end was great.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

What’s wrong with that? 

Noel achieved his greatest lyrical success with Oasis in the mid-90s. Now he is all about developing his sound; bringing a mix of disco, electronic and psychedelia. But i agree with others on here, his live shows aren't amazing and they definitely don't have the energy of his brothers. Nevertheless i'll go watch ;)

29 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Mine was at Westonbirt near Tetbury, so lots of folk in hunter wellies, barbour jackets and red or yellow cord trousers, and a section of the local 'rugger buggers' in for the beery bantz.  :lol:

Good set though, Stone Foundation coming in for Move On Up toward the end was great.

Can picture the look, I always enjoy looking out for the Weller look a likes at his gigs, and yeah seen Stone Foundation support him a couple of times now, a really good opener for him, and even better when they join him on stage. Loved the whole forest gig experience trying to make our way back through Cannock Chase Forest in the pitch black and drunk to our campsite is a story I will never forget

13 minutes ago, SoundsofSmith said:

Noel achieved his greatest lyrical success with Oasis in the mid-90s. Now he is all about developing his sound; bringing a mix of disco, electronic and psychedelia. But i agree with others on here, his live shows aren't amazing and they definitely don't have the energy of his brothers. Nevertheless i'll go watch ;)

Depends what you want from your show, I enjoy both of them for different reasons, I had seen Noel loads with my Dad, and had seen Liam without him but he wanted to go to Liam's tour last year so we went to see him in Birmingham, I had tried to tell my dad beforehand what the crowd would be like but it didn't hit him till we got there and I can say he didn't really enjoy it, people smoking in his face, bodily fluids been thrown, brawls kicking off around us, as he said "It was full of wannabe gangsters", I do like the liveliness, I have seen The Prodigy and that was the best gig I have been to and obviously the most lively, but there was nothing been thrown or fights kicking off, just people going nuts dancing and moshing, I wish it was similar with Liam but unfortunately he doesn't attract the greatest of crowds anymore

45 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

At the gig at Blenheim Palace, the guy in front told me and my dad 1 song into the gig to stop singing as it was all he could hear and couldn't hear the music, we continued to sing our hearts out and he stood there the whole time arms crossed not moving or singing, he seemed really miserable and I thought he must of been in the wrong place. I couldn't even hear myself singing over the music so how he could I don't know

I was at that gig too and some old bloke kicked off because I stood too close to his seat and really had a go at me (his wife calmed him down thankfully)

Were some right miserable gits there.

4 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Depends what you want from your show, I enjoy both of them for different reasons, I had seen Noel loads with my Dad, and had seen Liam without him but he wanted to go to Liam's tour last year so we went to see him in Birmingham, I had tried to tell my dad beforehand what the crowd would be like but it didn't hit him till we got there and I can say he didn't really enjoy it, people smoking in his face, bodily fluids been thrown, brawls kicking off around us, as he said "It was full of wannabe gangsters", I do like the liveliness, I have seen The Prodigy and that was the best gig I have been to and obviously the most lively, but there was nothing been thrown or fights kicking off, just people going nuts dancing and moshing, I wish it was similar with Liam but unfortunately he doesn't attract the greatest of crowds anymore

Very true - I saw Liam back in November and it was very messy in multiple ways. But I actually prefer Noel's sound, just hoping I don't get bored. Think he needs to adjust his setlist too many NGHFB stuff at the beginning - most of which the majority of the crowd just dont know. 

9 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I was at that gig too and some old bloke kicked off because I stood too close to his seat and really had a go at me (his wife calmed him down thankfully)

Were some right miserable gits there.

Makes no sense, might as well of been a standing gig anyway, didn't see one person sitting, so don't see how he can moan had much more space than he would of if it was actually a standing gig, but yeah a lot of miserable people there, saying that in the grounds of Blenheim Palace there seemed to be many people who wasn't and were up for a chat and a laugh