Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds...

gooner1990

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s absolutely fine, works well in the context of the song, which is good.

You can take lyrics out of context for any recording artist in history and declare them shit.

My opinion was fully formed within the context of the song, not out of context.

Noel is a superb songwriter, but has always been a piss poor lyricist.

40 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not as many as you'd think I reckon. He'll wheel out a couple to keep the crowd happy, but he's got the confidence in his solo material not to just be a nostalgia set

The stats from last year disagree:

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds-13d241d5.html?year=2019

Around half the songs in his festival sets last summer - I think it's fair to say that's plenty and there's no reason to believe he do wouldn't similar. 

Here's the set from Mad Cool that like @jparx, I was at (https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds/2019/valdebebas-ifema-madrid-spain-139e91cd.html). Wasn't actually expecting that much from it and it wasn't the top priority of the evening, being sandwiched between Bon Iver and Vampire Weekend (Chems. Iggy, Lauryn Hill all played the same night) but it was fantastic. Very much looking forward to seeing him again. 

Edited by The Martini Police

34 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not as many as you'd think I reckon. He'll wheel out a couple to keep the crowd happy, but he's got the confidence in his solo material not to just be a nostalgia set

Recent setlists have been roughly a 50/50 split between solo and Oasis stuff which is surprising.

If he's a doing a ten or so setlist you'll definitely get Don't Look Back In Anger, The Masterplan and Half The World Away. Then m money would be on one of Wonderwall, Importance of Being Idle, Little By Little, Whatever or Stop Crying Your Heart Out.... possibly two if he doesn't do All You Need Is Love. 

18 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Here's the set from Mad Cool that like @jparx, I was at (https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds/2019/valdebebas-ifema-madrid-spain-139e91cd.html). Wasn't actually expecting that much from it and it wasn't the top priority of the evening, being sandwiched between Bon Iver and Vampire Weekend (Chems. Iggy, Lauryn Hill all played the same night) but it was fantastic. Very much looking forward to seeing him again. 

Echo all of that. He really held his own on a VERY strong day of acts. I don't think he'll have any issues subbing the Pyramid even with the first half of his set being solo stuff.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Liam setlist has a way stronger selection of Oasis songs, yet I doubt it was anyone's highlight of 2019.

Most of the iconic Oasis songs (Wonderwall, Rock n Roll Star, Live Forever, Cigs & Alcohol, etc) were sung by Liam so he has all of them in his locker.

One thing that usually lets Liam down is his backing band - seen him a few times and they've always been terrible.

53 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

The stats from last year disagree:

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds-13d241d5.html?year=2019

Around half the songs in his festival sets last summer - I think it's fair to say that's plenty and there's no reason to believe he do wouldn't similar. 

Stand corrected! I was looking at the overall picture rather than fest specific setlists.

Saw NGHFBs at This is Tomorrow last year and it was a good night. 

Not the most energetic of sets I must say but the crowd carries him through. It is not the biggest stage at TIT so if there isnt a strong crowd of actual fans some songs that he does may get a little lost on the pyramid.  

If he is playing before Macca then will almost certainly be there unless there is a massive draw elsewhere.  

52 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Soft spot for If I Had A Gun here. Seems to have gone to the setlist naughty step though, which is a shame.

I pushed for it to be the first dance at our wedding, was ultimately vetoed by Mrs Antilles but I still fucking love it.