Jump to content

Corona Virus - Should we be worried?


Jimbojam

Recommended Posts

It’s all relative to how much it spirals from here. Loads of artists like Stormzy etc have cancelled tours in the Far East and Italy. If it ends up getting as bad as it has in Italy then the festival will be cancelled by default, as most of the acts will pull out.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I wonder who on efests is closest to a case.

Northern Ireland's only case is 3.2 miles from me (been sent to their home as opposed to being treated in hospital).

they were just interested in the breakdowns you have given us and wanted to give you a close up ..... lots of apparents seem to be cropping up ... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Unless everything is shutdown, cancelling Glastonbury and other events would do nothing to prevent the virus.

Yes, that's what I'm clinging to, really.

The facts are that anyone who knows anything about it says a widespread outbreak is very likely. The strategy is to push such an outbreak to around the time of Glastonbury. The government have said that if that happens at that time, they will consider "social distancing".

On the face of it, Glastonbury is obviously in the firing line.

However, there is also concern that eroding social cohesion is itself damaging, and that if an outbreak has occurred, then it's occurred. At that point, it's not containment any longer, it's mitigation. The virus is out there, and cancelling mass gatherings isn't going to stop it, especially if you're cancelling music festivals but leaving the London underground etc. operating normally.

Practically, I expect there to be 'health stations' or something similar around the site, possibly additional entry checks, perhaps hand sanitisers made freely available at the gates.

I do think Glastonbury 2020 will go ahead, but I see more hysteria among people who're adamant there's no issue.

Edited by kalifire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I wonder who on efests is closest to a case.

Northern Ireland's only case is 3.2 miles from me (been sent to their home as opposed to being treated in hospital).

This prompted me to look for a map, looks like I'm surrounded!

https://news.sky.com/story/mapped-where-coronavirus-has-spread-in-the-uk-11948150 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s all relative to how much it spirals from here. Loads of artists like Stormzy etc have cancelled tours in the Far East and Italy. If it ends up getting as bad as it has in Italy then the festival will be cancelled by default, as most of the acts will pull out.

I think we may end up with more UK based acts. If international travel is limited by that point there will be artists not able to get to other festivals so they will want more local gigs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I wonder who on efests is closest to a case.

Northern Ireland's only case is 3.2 miles from me (been sent to their home as opposed to being treated in hospital).

I’m 2.6 miles from a school that’s been closed and am currently in bed with a cough and high temperature. 
Charm x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Spain, France and Germany's case numbers increasing each day is far from ideal, but they are also significantly behind Italy in term's of active case growth.

Italy literally exploded out of nowhere (with little warning) and has continued to spiral since.

The good news is Spain, France and Germany are increasing at more gradual rates than Italy did - most likely due to them expecting it whereas Italy didn't have that luxury.

The hope is no country in Europe follows Italy's path in 'exploding' over a couple of days.

I was referring "following" Italy to be the second with most cases in Europe, I hope not in the same level of course, but it's getting a bit out of control lately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a slightly different note (and entirely self- interested!) do we think the concern around the virus and it's spread may affect ticket payment completions and therefore tickets back in the resale?

I know it'll depend on how things progress and assumes no cancellations / adverse news from the festival but will the potential hysteria and concern lead to people going "yea, do ya know what, nah, not risking it" this early.

I don't think it would / should but people are ...people. I'm an 'at risk' type due to a wonderful chronic condition and it's required meds and I would still pay up and attend. But then I've been denied in sales since the 2016 fest and still not over the withdrawal symptoms so I'll take any fix I can get.

(gimme those straws! I need them for the resale! MINE!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I wonder who on efests is closest to a case.

Northern Ireland's only case is 3.2 miles from me (been sent to their home as opposed to being treated in hospital).

I've got one about 6 miles from me

@Charm oh no!! hope its not corona and you have a speedy recovery!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

On a slightly different note (and entirely self- interested!) do we think the concern around the virus and it's spread may affect ticket payment completions and therefore tickets back in the resale?

I know it'll depend on how things progress and assumes no cancellations / adverse news from the festival but will the potential hysteria and concern lead to people going "yea, do ya know what, nah, not risking it" this early.

I don't think it would / should but people are ...people. I'm an 'at risk' type due to a wonderful chronic condition and it's required meds and I would still pay up and attend. But then I've been denied in sales since the 2016 fest and still not over the withdrawal symptoms so I'll take any fix I can get.

(gimme those straws! I need them for the resale! MINE!)

As this escalates I really do think this has high probability.

Not talking about the festival die-hards, but the hipsters and bucket-listers who insist on having showers, clean toilets and ask about the quality restaurants on-site (you know the type I mean!). 

I doubt those unwilling to attend without those luxuries would want to mingle with Mrs Covid-19 and her offspring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I think we may end up with more UK based acts. If international travel is limited by that point there will be artists not able to get to other festivals so they will want more local gigs. 

At the end, Foals will end up headlining.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the get well wishes. Not worried that it’s anything serious, my Nan told me to call 111 but would feel a fraud as I don’t feel ill enough. Guessing as this goes on lots of people will have the same attitude and that will unfortunately contribute to the spread. 
Charm x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Travellers from countries with severe coronavirus outbreaks who arrive in some parts of China will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine, state media say.

Travellers from the virus hotspots of South Korea, Japan, Iran and Italy arriving in the capital will have to be isolated, a Beijing official has said."

What a time to be alive :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...