Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

5 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Not to mention football games every single week, I'm on my way down to West Brom for a midweek cup tie with thousands of home and away fans. I'd class those events as a large gathering. They would be postponing events like these if they were concerned. 

Ps Yes I know i'm a glutton for punishment with the football. 

Well yes and the start of the cricket season/ rugby. But I thought I would list the major events that would make headlines if cancelled. 

39 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

So before glasto we have:

cheltenham

st Patrick’s day

boat race

grande national

London marathon 

tour de Yorkshire 

fa cup final

chelsea flower show

hay festival 

multiple prides 

Epsom derby

isle of wight

queen’s birthday 

london fashion week

royal ascot

Wimbledon

and that’s just the main ones, we will also have loads of VE Day events up and down the country. 

Also not in UK but could be interesting to see how the States handle South by South West and Coachella as many festivals may follow suit. 

4 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Also not in UK but could be interesting to see how the States handle South by South West and Coachella as many festivals may follow suit. 

We shouldn’t follow America’s example here. For that country profit is more important than health. 

Well, I've been critical of the Government's response (or rather lack of one, it seemed that they were maybe hiding the planning documents in a fridge), but I am at least glad to read that they respect the seriousness of the situation and the conclusions on the social and economic effects are realistic as I see them.

36 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Oxford Cambridge boat race, massive crowds next to the river Thames

that's what I thought, I think I just kept reading it as cockney rhyming slang - I don't even remember typing the response.. maybe I need to head to the drunkards thread..

47 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

So before glasto we have:

cheltenham

st Patrick’s day

boat race

grande national

London marathon 

tour de Yorkshire 

fa cup final

chelsea flower show

hay festival 

multiple prides 

Epsom derby

isle of wight

queen’s birthday 

london fashion week

royal ascot

Wimbledon

and that’s just the main ones, we will also have loads of VE Day events up and down the country. 

Isn't there a commonwealth service this Sunday with 4000 worldwide due to attend (or something like that - the guys I've had to tell to work from home due to being in Tenerife last week is due to go = he has no symptoms) - he told me about it

It was mentioned before on TV... if you are going to start cancelling football matches or sporting events then you also need to closing shopping centres and supermarkets etc... its just fucking stupid. We cant grind the country to a halt when there is so few cases, its daft. 

2 hours ago, Doug85 said:

The main bit of news that has concerned me catching up on this thread is the amount of pollution that will be caused from all of the beans everyone seems to be buying. 

My proximity to Ayrshire and those 12 tins of beans is very concerning. Will be like the Icelandic Ash cloud at this rate. 

The prevailing wind in Ayrshire is south westerly so shouldn’t affect Newcastle , but Edinburgh and Dundee beware! 

10 minutes ago, Havors said:

It was mentioned before on TV... if you are going to start cancelling football matches or sporting events then you also need to closing shopping centres and supermarkets etc... its just fucking stupid. We cant grind the country to a halt when there is so few cases, its daft. 

There are 2 ways to try and control this: Containment, which the Chinese have successfully illustrated, and mitigation, which the rest of us are going to rely upon, it would seem.

As you say, closing cities and shutting anywhere people can congregate is not a realistic solution for a modern western society.  Life must go on, we must accept the impacts that this will have and all do our best to not make matters worse.  As mentioned many pages back, there is a segment of society, known to all of us, who will be selfish, who will be ignorant, who will make things worse.  They'll be the people panic buying, the people kicking up a fuss at the chemist, at the doctors, at any chance they get really.  Don't be a dick and things will always be better.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

There are 2 ways to try and control this: Containment, which the Chinese have successfully illustrated, and mitigation, which the rest of us are going to rely upon, it would seem.

As you say, closing cities and shutting anywhere people can congregate is not a realistic solution for a modern western society.  Life must go on, we must accept the impacts that this will have and all do our best to not make matters worse.  As mentioned many pages back, there is a segment of society, known to all of us, who will be selfish, who will be ignorant, who will make things worse.  They'll be the people panic buying, the people kicking up a fuss at the chemist, at the doctors, at any chance they get really.  Don't be a dick and things will always be better.

Stupid frigging headlines like this are only going to make things worse....

image.png.2c25b6ac1b820e3b46d85e562f8f234d.png

Infections in UK would peak three months after first sustained transmission

The government are working on the basis that it will take between two and three months after the first sustained human to human transmission for the outbreak to peak.

That potentially key point on time frames was spelled out by Britain’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance.

After that it would take another two to three months for it to taper off.

The government are essentially getting us ready for a 3 month period of containment measures and reading between lines seems they inspect them to be introduced from late this month/early next. Whichever way you cut it that means no Glastonbury. Even when containment is over that doesn't mean all back to normal, as infections will still be high. 

1 minute ago, Splatt said:

The government are essentially getting us ready for a 3 month period of containment measures and reading between lines seems they inspect them to be introduced from late this month/early next. Whichever way you cut it that means no Glastonbury. Even when containment is over that doesn't mean all back to normal, as infections will still be high. 

2 + 2 = 5 there.... good maths....

Do you write the headlines for the media by any chance? 

Edited by Havors
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Havors said:

2 + 2 = 5 there.... good maths....

Do you right the headlines for the media by any chance? 

No, I'm taking facts, measures outlined and evidence from occurrence elsewhere. I would love to be wrong but I hope you will apologise to me when I'm right.

35 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Well, I've been critical of the Government's response (or rather lack of one, it seemed that they were maybe hiding the planning documents in a fridge), but I am at least glad to read that they respect the seriousness of the situation and the conclusions on the social and economic effects are realistic as I see them.

Thank goodness most people on here aren't in Government.

Just now, Splatt said:

No, I'm taking facts, measures outlined and evidence from occurrence elsewhere. I would love to be wrong but I hope you will apologise to me when I'm right.

Nah you are just taking all kinds of "facts" out of context and making shit up. Hence the "reading between the lines".... 

4 minutes ago, Splatt said:

Does that also mean no football or sports of any kind? No shopping centers? No train stations open at peak times? Literally no kind of mass congregation? I'm by no means an expert but if you're going to cancel Glastonbury then you also need to stop the trains, the tube, close Westfield, and ban people from basically going outside. Don't be daft. 

Just now, Havors said:

Nah you are just taking all kinds of "facts" out of context and making shit up. Hence the "reading between the lines".... 

No I'm not. This is pretty much the government telling you exactly what is going to happen. It's been drip, drip, drip in terms of managing the populations expectation and not to cause mass panic etc. 

The preparation for Glasto starts to ramp up in May. This will coincide with time period restrictions in place. With all the available evidence I have it ain't happening.