Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

28 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I get that it could spiral but my point is at the moment it’s 40 people and we’ve had a couple of here say it’s nailed on to be cancelled. Complete overreaction considering the current state of matters in this country.

Things will probably get worse here but I don’t think it’ll be as bad as some people think it will be. These things have a tendency to settle down, we are already seeing that through the figures in China. I also doubt the government have any clue what they’re doing either, BJ was happy enough to have his weekend before chairing his COBRA meeting after all. 

It’s ‘settled down’ in China because they’ve locked the poor sods in their homes for a month.

Just now, stopwn1981 said:

It’s ‘settled down’ in China because they’ve locked the poor sods in their homes for a month.

Thats my main point on this too in terms of being worried. The US and most of Europe are very unlikely to do that before it is too late (if it does get to that point) 

If the UK won't shut down society and it continues to break out, would cancelling Glastonbury or other big events even do much to mitigate spread? That's a very grim and strange reason it could still take place if things get worse?

Just now, Ozanne said:

Or you could argue that the measures we have in place means it wouldn’t get to that stage. China silenced people that spoke of the virus at first and tried to bury it. 

Thats the hope :)  But then with people not showing signs that they have it for days means a fair few more probably have it in the country. 

9 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Thats the one that Americans should be worried about. C2E2 just happened last weekend too. 

There’s a Tom Clancy novel where terrorists weaponise a viral disease and they actually use conventions as the most efficient way of spreading the virus especially with the amount of people flying in to them. 

Good bye America.

200K people from all parts of the globe and every town and city in the UK. Nothing comes close to that sort of demographic profile. All congregated in a small space with little or no personal hygiene being an almost elemental aspect of the experience. Whenever journalists and politicians discuss ‘events’ that may be cancelled you can bet your bottom dollar that Glastonbury is what they are getting at. It will have its own place on any Public Health England/ Govt risk register, no question. 

39 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Comic-Con in Seattle is also going ahead soon. 

There’s no group of people more hygienic than your average comic-con geek  

Actually true...! We are a clean group of people 🙂

Edited by sime

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

I generally consider the folks around here amongst the most reasonable in the land

Aare you sure about that? Have you seen some of the madness these threads descend into when we think a poster is imminent or a headliner is announced that someone's Mum hasn't heard of?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Plenty of events/places do honestly, including regular tourist attractions.

Even a small airport like Edinburgh has 40,000 passengers a day going through it plus a couple of thousand staff. For Heathrow it's over 200,000 passengers that's a rotating Glastonbury's worth of people everyday from all over the shop. If Heathrow stays open then so will Glastonbury. 

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

Even a small airport like Edinburgh has 40,000 passengers a day going through it plus a couple of thousand staff. For Heathrow it's over 200,000 passengers that's a rotating Glastonbury's worth of people everyday from all over the shop. If Heathrow stays open then so will Glastonbury. 

If Glastonbury is cancelled so is every other festival, so is every football match (including the Euros), so is the Olympics, airports will need to shut, every gig cancelled, Joshua in the boxing.

Sounds slightly unrealistic to me.  (However I’ll continue panicking).

29 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Plenty of events/places do honestly, including regular tourist attractions.

I’m linking in the hygiene issue. Seriously we all know the place and love it, but it’s not clean is it? We all come home every year with Festival flu.