Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Guess you won't be paying off that balance then?

I have a ticket.

I genuinely hope it goes ahead and that this horrid virus fucks off and kills no more people, but from what we know about spread, death rate and what governments have said and done, I personally just cannot see it happening.

Edited by stopwn1981

12 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Down-voting direct word from bookers working with/at Worthy Farm that the festival is going ahead is a weird look, @stopwn1981. It's almost like you want to believe your own fear? Kind of Daily Express-y to be honest.

Feel free to stock up on beans and suet pudding if you want but claims that Glastonbury is 100% not happening are 100% in the wrong at present.

Have offset it for ya. Seemed a little unnecessary at this stage...

2 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Guess you won't be paying off that balance then?

Edit: not sure if they have a ticket or not might've messed up

The sensible thing to do even if you think it is going to be called off is pay your ticket balance. 

that way your refund will be the full amount and not have a £25 admin fee applied. 

Of course it's got to be full steam ahead at Glastonbury HQ as it is pretty much at any business across the world currently - life goes on and this is a rapidly emerging and changing threat. That said, you need to look at what is going on - in China particularly - & I can't see how anyone could think there is more chance than not than Glastonbury will go ahead. This virus is so contagious you couldn't risk just one infected person attending the festival & as I can't see us being in that position by June to my mind it's off. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

A weird mix of obvious trolling and genuine facts on here.

With a dose of hysteria.  This thread is an interesting yardstick into opinion for me.  I generally consider the folks around here amongst the most reasonable in the land, but of course there is a broad spread of opinions as well.

24 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Its just a comparison of people who seek out doom and gloom the second they hear something bad is happening. Its a real thing.

I'd much rather I make a strawman argument than say that Glastonbury is going to get cancelled which will more than likely go along with shutting the country down.  

Oh I see.  You justify posting crap because it stops you posting different crap. 

22 minutes ago, stuie said:

I’m not sure we need a poll for that. 

Isn’t it just you and @Splatt that think it won’t? 

I dunno. I suspect there's a few people like me who aren't anything like confident enough to make grand  pronouncements, but rather suspect the festival will be cancelled.  I really don't know, but if I had to pick one - I reckon it's off. I hope I'm wrong, but three months feels awfully close at this point. Or rather the time when they will have to decide whether to risk losing a lot of money by spending on a festival that could be cancelled for them eventually must be rather close.

In the event that I have to self isolate I’ve just been on amazon and bought the unofficial Glastonbury festival colouring book and a packet of colouring pencils. That will ease the stress of being forced to watch loose women on telly. Five quid well spent! 

‘Relive the Glastonbury experience through the joy of colouring in, iconic images such as the pyramid, coldplay and Radiohead!’

It convinced me to part with my cash

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I think in all due respect people need to calm down a bit, suggesting it’s going to be cancelled now when 40 people have the virus in the U.K. is jumping the gun. It will be fine, it’s months away!

Can't help but feel that's what we'll regret people were saying at this time when we could have been doing something that might have saved the festival.

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Can't help but feel that's what we'll regret people were saying at this time when we could have been doing something that might have saved the festival.

Like what? What could we as a forum possibly do that will help prevent such a thing happening other than making sure we and the others around us keep clean. 

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

What can we do apart from good personal hygiene? Unless you are trolling me then fair play, but ‘saving the festival’ is pure hyperbole. It’s not going anywhere.

Edited by Ozanne

There are less active cases then closed cases, shows it can be contained, think a few people here think the entire of China has got it and not a tiny tiny amount of the population. 2 people in Brighton caught it, worked in a surgury and an old peoples home, and nobody else caught it... Obviously lucky but this end of the world stuff is a bit much.

Also no idea what the bbc are playing at, horrendous reporting by them, it's like the daily mail! Every bit of good news is hidden away at the bottom of the stories, such as China seem to have it under control and active case have halved 

Edited by pryce
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Im surprised My Chemical Romance hasnt cancelled their japan dates or Download Australia yet.

Given Foals, Green Day, Stormzy and The National have all cancelled Japan dates in the last few days, I can imagine a reschedule might be announced very shortly.

14 minutes ago, pryce said:

There are less active cases then closed cases, shows it can be contained, think a few people here think the entire of China has got it and not a tiny tiny amount of the population. 2 people in Brighton caught it, worked in a surgury and an old peoples home, and nobody else caught it... Obviously lucky but this end of the world stuff is a bit much.

Also no idea what the bbc are playing at, horrendous reporting by them, it's like the daily mail! Every bit of good news is hidden away at the bottom of the stories, such as China seem to have it under control and active case have halved 

There’s now a dedicated subreddit for this coronavirus. If you want to see scary information than that’s the place to go to. 

I’m not worried about the UK yet. There are a small number of cases and it seems to be controlled at the moment but there are places in the world which don’t have a handle on the situation and containment may not be an option there. 

33 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think in all due respect people need to calm down a bit, suggesting it’s going to be cancelled now when 40 people have the virus in the U.K. is jumping the gun. It will be fine, it’s months away!

Being positive in this thread doesn't seem to be allowed

Obviously it's a rapidly changing situation and escalating quite quickly, but if I had to come down on one side or the other I would day it's probably going ahead. Mainly because things I've read suggest that it can't be contained and if it can't be contained we reach a point where it is a fact of life like normal flu. Awful for the people that get it, specifically the vulnerable ones, but what can really be done once it's properly out there? Life has to go on. Life can't go on hold until there's a vaccine for everyone.